What is the official Ferrari color? | FerrariChat

What is the official Ferrari color?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by laxexquis, Sep 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. laxexquis

laxexquis Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2008
    Many people think that Rosso Corsa is the official "Ferrari color." I do not think so, I think that Rossoo Corsa is the official Itailian car color because it was assigned as a racing color. I believe that Modena Yellow is the official Ferrari color. I am not sure if I am correct and want other people opinions, because I am looking to buying a Ferrari F355 Spider in the official color.

Thanks,
    John

2. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #2 ferrari sulla pellicola, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
    well back when enzo was running the show it was his mind that only the race cars were red....if you look at most of the significant Ferrari road cars like the Superfast.Super America's etc they were always non red cars....of course that was then and this is now.....yellow is a great color!!

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well, Enzo only used purple ink to write, maybe purple is the official color....

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    John, welcome to FerrariChat. What a great question. Yellow is the color of the city of Modena. That's why Enzo had the background of the shield of the Scuderia painted yellow. Italy's official racing color is red - Rosso Corsa - with racing numbers displayed in white. Some of Ferrari's earliest cars weren't painted Rosso Corsa but were painted a darker red.

5. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I believe there are more Ferraris with Rossa Corsa then any other color. My vote is for Rossa Corsa.

6. P3+J3^u!

P3+J3^u! Karting

Apr 2, 2008
    Mockingbird Ln
    I personally am of the opinion, impression and understanding, and have been for as long as I can remember, that Ferraris are red and Lamborghinis are yellow.

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome to FerrariChat mate. :):)

I agree with what NNO posted. :):)

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm kinda thinking, yah I know me trying to think, but the Rosso Red was carried over to Ferrari from Enzo's racing day's at Alfa when he was a driver?

9. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    There is no official color, unless you want to consider the current F1 color ... Neuvo Rosso

G

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    In 1989, 80% of the Ferraris built were red.

Ferrari is, first and foremost, a racing team. And since Ferrari is an Italian team, it's official color is red.

11. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    +1 This has been my understanding.

Welcome to Ferrarichat, I think yellow is an excellent choice of color for a 355. ;)

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think the official Ferrari color is "blur". ;)

13. sepp forcher

sepp forcher Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    to my understanding the official color was - in the beginning at least - yellow. because the alfa romeo racing team used to paint their cars red and so ferrari was forced to paint theirs yellow...that's what i have heard so far.

14. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    #14 tactical, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Enzo Ferrari originally ran Alfa Romeo racing teams, and he also badged Alfas with his name and shield, these cars were called Bimotores (1934 IIRCC, picture 1). Arguably the first Ferrari??
    When he started making his own race cars he used the Alfa Romeo dark red colour called Rosso Barchetta. His first full Ferrari road car was in the dark red colour. I beleve it was called the "166 MM “Barchetta” (picture 2) It was this dark red colour that was originally referred as "blood red".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #15 Bryanp, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carbon is exactly right. Red was the color assigned to Italy eons ago by the precursor to the modern FIA; British Racing Green for Great Britain, French Racing Blue for France, etc.

Every Italian manufacturer that participated in racing and entered its cars as team cars ran some version of red; Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia, Alfa Romeo team cars were all red. Enzo's preference had nothing to do with it. If a Ferrari race car was sold to a foreigner, however, the car was typically painted in the national color of the owner.

Our car, 0556(0446)MD was originally sold to and raced by a frenchman, Francois Picard, in 1955. It was painted French Racing Blue accordingly.

Since most people associate Ferrari w/ its race cars, a "red Ferrari" is ingrained in the consciousness . . .

16. laxexquis

laxexquis Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2008
    Well I think I am going to go with yellow, mainly because there is a yellow Fiorano Editin on eBay. I really liked yellow, but my problem was that I had to have tan interior, so it was veery hard to find Yellow with Tan considering most Yellow ferraris have black interior, but this one has tan interior. I is everything I was searching for in a 355, it has tan interior, a challenge grill, its the last year and I also want a F355, not F1 paddle shifters.

Heres the auction, the only thing is that they say it is a Fiorano edition, but I thought the Fiorano editions only came in black with F1 paddles? There is a plaque on the dash, but could it of been aftermarket?

Heres the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-Spider-F1-1999-Ferrari-355-Spider-Fiorano-Edition_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem360089215041QQitemZ360089215041

Thanks,
    John

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, yellow looks especially good on 355s. Not all cars wear yellow so well, though.

18. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    John,
    You should post this in the 355 section.... well, maybe not. A 99 Fiorano for 78.5k is a GREAT price and the dealer has a good reputation.

That said, I'm no expert but as I recall, there were 100 +/- Fiorano cars built, and a few (16?) were 6 speeds, so the combo is very rare. Other parts of the Fiorano are the carbon fiber interiors. I assume it would be difficult to get an aftermarket plaque, unless maybe it was from a wrecked car.

285ferrari (Robbie) is the owner of the 355 registry, maybe a PM to him about the car?

My vote, buy it! (Assumming its a real Fiorano).

However, 355s have specific issues and high maintence costs, so do your homework.

James in Denver

19. laxexquis

laxexquis Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you for the advice, I will do what you said.

As you mentioned, this F355 has a carbon shifter knob, so my guess it is a 355. I have heard about all the maintnence cost, most Ferraris have these problems, its just something Ill have to expect as Ferrari owner.

Thanks,
    John

20. laxexquis

laxexquis Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2008
    All this info is great, but noone has really answered my question, what is the official color?

21. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Mercedes tried to capitalize on this during a couple of Mille Miglia races by painting their cars red, so that the crowd woudn't hamper their progress as they were known to do with cars sporting the racing livery of other countries. There's at least one red Mercedes factory racing car in the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart, where I heard that bit of trivia.

Gio P

22. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    #22 tactical, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
    I told u the very first ferrari red colour and history. I thought thats what you wanted.

23. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Anyone know where "fly" yellow came from? I heard it was from a color studio in Modena that was called Studio Fly, but can't confirm.

24. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    There is no "official" color, unless you want to consider the current F1 color ... Nuevo Rosso

;)

G

25. lilturbododge

lilturbododge Karting

Jul 7, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree....