Mondial 3.2; Resale Red, 15k Miles, Under $30k | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2; Resale Red, 15k Miles, Under $30k

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Ken, Sep 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Does look like a great deal, if all true.

Just for me, there have been so many scams involving Ebay that everything they advertise that seems like a good deal should be suspect, especially when shippers are mentioned in the deal.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    Strange it's described as a "15,000 mile major service" (in what I think is a well-written ad) -- wonder if the claim of "services are up to date" is mileage-based or time-based?

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I also would think a Ferrari Mondial clutch should last more than 10k miles, but I suppose anyone can abuse it. I wonder if this car was driven especially hard...how are the suspension bushings? I hear they are not cheap to replace. Or is the mileage really quite a bit higher than stated? Lots of questions....

As for the belts, I'd change them anyway unless they were documented to be quite recent.

Ken

6. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I see a great deal here, no need to be suspicious, let's face it, the economy isn't that great. Someone is going to get a good car for the money, if I was looking for a cabriolet, it would already be in my garage.

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    There are always going to be 'excuses' for nervous-nellie tire-kickers to talk themselves OUT of buying a Ferrari. Unless you're buying a brand-new Honda with a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper service warrantee, there will always be 'something' that's not exactly perfect with a 20-year-old used car that hasn't been through a Concourse-level nut and bolt restoration. Such is life.

8. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That car actually belongs to a member......SEAL2CC

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I agree. That's why I say a PPI is useless for a car you can see and test drive yourself. If the engine is strong and doesn't smoke, the clutch pulls strong, it's not got obvious oil leaks, no rust issues, and has some sign of periodic maintenance, then the chances are you'll only have to sink $5k into a 20 year old Ferrari beyond what you counted on.

Ken

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    I tried to enlighten them... ;)

I guess subtle hints don't work

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you saying that it's OK, if it's done cleverly, to post a false ad and have fun watching the ruckus?

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    For the record I'm not currently considering this car, but I do see a 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet on my wish list after I get the Lotus work done. That's why I'm mentioning this car: to see what the group thinks so as to further educate myself when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I've seen lots of "good deals" on eBay and then people chime in with a million things I didn't see or consider! Buying a used Ferrari is best done with eyes wide open.

Ken

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You're messing with me, right?

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    From what I have read, Mondial clutches do not last very long. It has something to do with the extra weight of the car combined with the gearing. In fact, I believe the short clutch life on the Mondial was noted in the Ferrari buyer's guide. Most of the Mondial's I have looked at had a clutch replacement at some point during their lives, and most were relatively low mileage cars. In fact, most mechanics I talked to seemed to dismiss clutch as an abuse indicator on the Mondial, absent other evidence.

I would be more concerned if the suspension bushings were shot, because, while bushings can simply decay over time, it should cause great pause because (a) it is an indicator of deferred maintenance and (b) it is an indicator of deferred maintenance.

For me, when I was looking for my car, I focused on any indicator that the car had not been properly maintained, ie shoddy hoses, uneven tire wear--anything. Obviously, a hose is cheap to replace. However, by my thinking, if a hose is cheap to repair, and it wasn't repaired, then what other things may be lurking that were not properly maintained because they were expensive!

As for the belts, I couldn't agree more.

All of this being said, because the seller is a subscribed Ferrari member, let's not assume he is trying to pull a fast one until there is proof of same.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No -- I'm trying to understand why we needed "enlightening"? Does it matter who ("member") posts an ad that we critique?

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Okay, why have two threads on the same car?

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Because I didn't realize this car was in another thread! I apologise for that.

Ken

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Hmmmm.
    After today, there may be a lot of cars on the market.

19. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    HAHAHA...'tis my car. It is a great one. People say it is underpriced..."gee, you should charge more, $35k " .." market is higher..$35k"...well if that is market, why don't any of the cars sell for that. If I had the money I'd buy it...on and on.. yet cars sit for months trying to get "the market." Market is what a buyer pays. This is a great car, and I am trying to recognize realism in pricing it. I think it will sell, but if it is so low, why hasn't anyone hit buy it now? Reality is often different from what we think it is. I am downsizing, simplyifing and want to sell - don't need to sell - the car but why price it at a level where it sits 9 months, or is at a dealer price where they floor it for longer. I don't want to be entertaining inquiries for 6 months to get an additional $2500.

Anyone want a nice Mondial, this is it. Competizione in Gaithersburg, MD did my last service and Richard said it was one of the nicest he has ever see. His words and evaluation carry weight. No scam..

Cheers,

Chris

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Chris,
    I hear what you are saying but know this, if I had seen this car before I purchased mine I would have given you 34K for it, without hesitation. Obviously, I am very happy with my car and the color combo (black/tan) was what I was looking for. THat being said, cars like yours don't come along often. Ask me how I know. Just keep that in mind.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow. Realism in pricing... never thought I'd see the day.

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think Chris is being very aggressive on the price. Nonetheless, I don't think having the best price is necessarily a recipe for a quick sale. The biggest factor effecting selling a Ferrari Mondial are (1) the lack of interested buyers and (2) the lack of investment potential. Price is not a major factor effecting time on market until the sale price reaches wholesale levels which invite brokers and flippers.

When it comes to Ferraris, I don't think time on the market is an indicator of a car being overpriced or underpriced, but rather effective marketing to the target market. There are two types of Ferrari mondial buyers IMHO, the uneducated Ferrari buyer looking for a cheap Ferrari and the knowledgeable buyer looking for the best example of the car he is looking for. Dealers can sell Mondials at the premium they do, because they know how to effectively market their cars to the latter market. There are a lot of buyers out there, like me (until recently), that (1) want a Ferrari (2) need the utility of a Mondial and/or genuinely love the Mondial and (3) can afford to pay for the best. His car appears to fit into that category, and I think if he markets the car correctly and exercises a bit of patience, there is no need to firesale the car. THere are a lot of brokers out there with buyers chomping at the bit. It is more a question of marrying those very few, but hungry ,buyers to the right car than anything else.

23. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Mondials are sort of a commodity...something a "regular guy" like me can afford. (Mine is an '86) Saying that, have I hovered my mouse pointer over the "Buy It Now" on this one?...you bet I have. I (like JoeZaff) believe this is a $35k car. Sure, it isn't a concours car considering the "upgrades", but some really like those sort of things - especially in the "starter Ferrari" market. This seems like a great car. I've got the cash, and it's making me itch because in any other market I could flip this damn thing. But in this market, I'm just another "looker". I believe most folks in this price range are holding tight to their cash and sports car purchases in this price range will be in a lull for a while. Kudos to SEAL2CC - he's being realistic. Lets not turn this into another "Defend the Mondial" thread (thanks for that one Bullfighter)...it is what it is. This appears to be a great car that is offered at a price for a quick sale in the current environment. If you're really in the market for one...this may be it. Good luck to SEAL2CC and all the best to the lucky buyer.

24. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    Got to $25,600 but no sale. Great week to try and sell a Ferrari!!

25. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Worst week since I can remember. I would relist in a few weeks, it should sell at that price.