GTB vs GTS | FerrariChat

GTB vs GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by jlonmark, Sep 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    SO, I have always been a fan of the coupe (GTB) over the targa (GTS). Even with the later cars, (ie. 348) I really thought the coupe looked better, mainly because of the lines. The targas always have the black targa top and different color body. Of course many people have painted the targa to match, but for some reason it just doens't work that well for me. Am I crazy? Also it seems that the GTS brings more than the GTB, therefore it is still more in demand? Thought?

2. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They are two different animals. The coupe is more rigid and better for track use but for cruising, going topless is priceless. The wind in your hair and the incredible engine sound behind you is great. Targa's have the option of top or topless, I think that's why they generally bring higher prices. Most targa owners NEVER use the top. I know I don't. I don't even bring it with me 99% of the time, since I only drive on nice days. The AC is marginal in 308's , that was another reason I chose targa and never regretted it.
    Try both, then decide which is right for you.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #3 Bullfighter, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not a big price difference, but convertibles tend to be more in demand as pleasure cars. GTB is stiffer for track use and probably safer.

Aesthetics is up to you - I think the GTS is better looking, mostly because the steel roof on the GTB looks plain, and it has too many windows on the side for a two seater. But they're both in the 99th percentile of the best looking modern sports cars ever designed, so I'd have either without complaint.

If you want the targa, louvres, etc., to blend, get a darker colored car. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I prefer the lines of the GTB, and waited a good while to find one. The louvered quarter windows are just a few too many vents for me; I like the smoother flow of the GTB design -- which the targa top also interrupts. I agree about having a GTS in a dark color -- black or a dark blue would be about my only choices; they "hide" all of the black trim. :)

As has been said before, they B and S are very different cars in character, and one will most likely be more "right" for you. GTS models commanded a premium in the past, but I'd venture to say that today the demand for each model is close to proportionate with the ratio of Bs to Ss available. There is no reason to not get the one you like better. :)

5. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    #5 Brunello, Sep 30, 2008
    +1 GTB

With regards to price, my personal experience demonstrates that if you want to find a near perfect GTB, you will need to spend a considerable amount of time looking and evaluating a much smaller percentage of available cars. Only 1344 328 GTB's ever produced. So when I finally found my car I paid a premium for lack of available quality cars. When I sold my car last month, the car sold full price to a buyer who wanted a GTB for the very same reason. So, I do not agree with the idea that GTS' bring more money than GTB's for this reason. I would say that the condition of the car over model type ultimately determines the price.

6. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #6 PittsS2APilot, Sep 30, 2008
    When I first started looking I had my heart set on a Spider. I took about 6 months looking at a few cars but could never find the one I wanted. There was a GTB not too far away that I knew about, but had passed on it several times because "I wanted a spider". I ended up making a deal on it anyway. I know I know..it goes against every rule of a purchase but it worked for me. Having had the car now for a year I am a true blue Berlinetta guy. If given the choice of cars, same options, same price, same condition, I would take the GTB over the GTS everytime. I like the looks and less things to go wrong. Just my 2cents.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #7 Newman, Sep 30, 2008
  8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ..what he said! I was always a GTS Magnum car guy, since high school. My 308 was going to be a red/tan/targa QV..

Well, when I found my 77 GTB, red/black, I was instantly smitten! Really stiff structure, and my 6'3" JUST makes it under the roof!

Greg

PS--Oh yeah, one other benefit of the pre-cat cars--the engine bay stays MUCH cooler than 78 and later....

:)

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #9 GrigioGuy, Sep 30, 2008
  10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    To me this is one of those "Who cares what anybody else thinks" deals. If you prefer the GTB, buy a GTB. Otherwise you will be unhappy. It's the same as talking about colors. What somebody else likes has nothing to do with what you like and trying to please others will just compromise what YOU really want.

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #11 climb, Sep 30, 2008
  12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    welcome to the club. when i first joined up here, i think i was the only one who preferred the GTB over the "S" and actively looked for them. not counting my 308 gt4, i have had 3 GTB's and one GTS. i totally agree on the lines of the car, and i swear you can feel the difference n the way they drive, even on public roads at normal speeds.

13. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I understand you guys, the GTB is stiffer and more consistent. The GTB design is pure and the GTS roof seems a "last minute add on". But, oh guys, my nick name is Magnum, so... I loved the 308 GTS QV, tan on red, the Magnum car. It was love at first sight, and I have waited 20 years to buy one. Finally I got mine this year. I love this car, and I prefer it over 328 or 348. The modern ones, 355 and after don't bring up my soul...
    Cheers

P.S.: I don't post shots because I'm still working on it. Not ready yet.

14. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    #14 Dino246gt, Oct 1, 2008
    I love the lines of the B and to me, the S looks like a converted B design. Of course, the S is still a fantastic car, I just prefer the B! I searched for a black B to hide some of those black trim pieces so popular in the seventies and eighties, then added the 16" QV rims. I also like posting pics, heeheehee. Ciao! Dennis

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Understood. However, a same condition 328 GTS vs. GTB of the same year, the former generally commands more premium in the "Ferrari market." The GTS is still considered more desirable than the rarer GTB, and it's reflected in every price guide. GTS brings in $ 2-3k more than the B. Even though subjected to variables, the market speaks.

16. MrSweden

MrSweden Karting

Sep 30, 2008
    Hasslö, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Max
    #16 MrSweden, Oct 1, 2008
  17. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #17 Tony K, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    Actually, it is not reflected in every price guide. NADA, for example, prices GTBis higher than GTSis. But their data doesn't always reflect the bigger picture, and when dealing with rare cars, individual sales can affect their listed values. Likewise, they might go a few years with no sale data on a particular version, and likewise show no change in price.

On the other hand, many price guides (such as those in most magazines) are outdated, and tend to be a mix of a rehash of 5-10 year old information, something an "expert" in their feature said, and a snapshot of current asking prices from advertisements. Price guides are for people who don't know the market, and said people often miss out on some true gems because they are priced out of the parameters set by the particular guide they hold in their hand (while some others make foolish buys based on what a guide says). If you spend time regularly checking the usual places (auto trader/collectorcartraderonline, cars.com, eBay, Hemmings, FerrariAds.com, inventories of dealers who regularly have 308s, and general yahoo/google searches), you'll find that asking prices of B vs. S have pretty much been indistinguishable, with condition being (naturally) the single largest determinant of price. As far as price guides go, when dealing with rare and low-production cars, you can follow the guide or you can set the guide.

Additionally, most 308s are now fully depreciated, and any price differences from when they were new have dissolved, just like a higher optioned car (of any make) loses its price advantage over the lower optioned car over time. Combine that with the fact that people have different motivations and criteria for buying old (classic) cars versus newer ones, and you have a new ratio of demand and supply for GTB vs. GTS--which may or may not be that strong, or relevant to prices, anyway.

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    #18 ScuderiaRossa, Oct 1, 2008
  19. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    -Amen to that

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "how can you argue with these lines?"

Some people prefer the GTS, some people prefer the GTB. Some people like red Ferraris, some people like green Ferraris. You can argue potential value using data from buyers guides/whatever but you can't successfully argue about personal preference!

I hate lima beans; they taste terrible in my opinion. Someone telling me I should love them because they're good for me doesn't change the fact that I hate lima beans! :)

21. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Agreed, but from a purely sculptural POV as related to form, there is no argument. Fioravanti didn't design the GTS first...

22. Tifoso

Tifoso Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2005
    Concord, NH
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    For me, as it seems to be with many others here, it was a purely aesthetic decision. There was no doubt in my mind that I far preferred the looks of the GTB. You should have a voice steering you one way or the other. Listen to it and don't look back.

23. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    +11eleventymillion111!11! :)

24. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    "The GTS is a hairdresser's car..."

OK, I couldn't resist that quote. I don't agree with it, although I am a GTB guy. I also MUCH prefer the convex wheels over the concave....oh, and I like red. So, that's what I bought.

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #25 Bullfighter, Oct 1, 2008
    Source?

Looking at the cars, I'm not sure that Leonardo didn't design the 308 with the GTS in mind from the start, given that the 246 GTS was very successful and outsold the 246 GT by a good margin. I would bet Pininfarina knew what was coming.

On the 308/328, if you look at the top of the rear quarter window and how it bends to continue the profile of the elegantly curved side window, it is the only awkwardly drawn line on an otherwise very curvaceous car -- almost a filler piece with a linear/geometric angle. I think it had to be drawn that way to allow for the next model year's introduction of the two window/spider look established by the 246 GTS.

If you look at the very beautiful 246 GT, the roofline is an elegant curve. On the 308/328 GTB, it's a bit forced. You can blame the targa requirement for that. I don't know whether Bravadore (sp?) had a targa in mind for the 206 GT -- I suspect not. Fioravanti's derivative of the Dino most likely did begin with that concept.

It would be interesting to see Fioravanti's notes, but that's the visual impression I get from seeing the cars. Again, I like them both, but I believe the GTS was in mind from day one, and the 308/328 GTB were created that way.