Suggestions for a place on the coast for short weekend | FerrariChat

Suggestions for a place on the coast for short weekend

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by PT 328, Sep 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I need a little help. I just returned from a 3 day golf outing in Pebble Beach, guys weekend away. My wife, none to happy about my little excursion wants to take a 3 day trip to the coast for our anniversary on Oct 12th. We typically do this a few times a year and our usual landing grounds are Bodega Bay, Mendocino, Carmel, and Half Moon Bay. I am looking for any suggestions other than these four locations to try. Preferably quaint and quiet, on the coast and not a 4+ hour trek from the Sacramento area. Thanks in advance for saving my marriage.

Dan

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Why not fly somewhere? No need to go overboard, stay within california. Montage is a good bet.

3. F114B

F114B Karting

May 25, 2005
    West Coast
    Why don't you wait and come down to the Avila Beach Concours (Oct 23-26th, San Luis Obispo) weekend? This is for a good cause and have some fun with your wife.
    www.avilabeachconcours .com

4. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    that really cuts it down.

Jenner? Guernville? Anderson Valley?

5. Brian qv

Brian qv Rookie

Dec 28, 2002
    Folsom, Ca
    Capitola is a nice little community just south of Santa Cruz. Aptos is near by too.

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Thanks for the advice/suggestions. I will pass it on to the "boss" and let here have at it. Any particular hotels/lodges in the areas suggested?

F114B- I would love to come down for that concourse but my work is getting busier and I would want to hang out down there a few more days then I would be able to. Maybe next year we will plan for it. I was lucky to get a day and a half off last week for my golf trip.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Cambria

8. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 Great call....close enough to go wine tasting in Paso Robles; breakfast or farmers market in San Luis.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    what you are looking for is Sea Ranch. Lots of nice rentals for the weekend, great hikes, tidepooling and most houses have a hot tub. It's just south of Gualala north of Jenner.

Seriously, http://www.searanchrentals.com/

10. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    Have you considered the Sea Ranch Lodge? Right on the ocean and at least 5 miles from the nearest town (Gualala). Lots of hiking trails, beaches, woods, etc. Or just chill at the lodge. The hotel restaurant is usually quite good but if you want to wander into town try Bones Roadhouse (can be a bit noisy) or Pangaea. St. Ores just north of town is also good but more pricey. Lodging at St. Ores as well. Distance is within 4 hrs. (barely) from your area and many folks from the central valley have weekend homes here. Wherever you choose, enjoy your weekend!

Cheers

11. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    My wife told me she has narrowed it down to either the Sea Ranch Lodge, as suggested, or the Breakers Inn in Gualala just north of Sea Ranch. I tried to talk her into trying John's ( riverflyer's ) place in Mendocino but she wants to try a different location this time. Next outing will be at John's place. Has anyone stayed at the Breakers Inn? I would like to compare its reviews to the great reviews posted here? Thanks again for the help.

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    just as a side note... I have a vacation place in Fort Bragg for sale... if yer interested and like the coast :D

13. justinwrock

justinwrock Karting

Nov 9, 2005
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Irish Beach?

http://www.irishbeach.com/

South of Mendocino, and Fort Bragg. We had a house there, but sold that to buy property in Caspar, CA and build a new house.

14. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Since the water is too cold for swimming anyways, perhaps some desert destinations. Sedona? Zion? Teton? A place called Las Vargas, or something like that?