GTB vs GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTB vs GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by jlonmark, Sep 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Good observation. I wonder whether that line was slightly bent to keep the spacing between the glass and the roof as thin as possible. A continuous curve would have thickened that area, and lessened the drama of the buttresses...

2. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    #27 Brunello, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    I love the way our discussions on these threads can take on different points of view on such a simple subject. The topic of timeless design and form on the 3x8 series will go on forever on these cars. Deservidly so.

One subjective point on the design of the GTB over the GTS as time goes by; the GTB seems to look less 80's than the GTS when the targa top is off similar to the Porsche of the 70's and 80's. Of course the magnum reruns helps achieve this too. The GTB's are not as easily identified by non-Ferrari owners as an 80's car unless the pop-up headlights are up which would be a dead give-away for any 80's and 90's car. On many occasions I have had people come up to me and ask what kind of car I was driving and if it was a newer car! I was shocked, but of course the majority of people don't pay anywhere near as much attention to cars as we do, much less for Ferrari's.

BTW, given the current economic conditions, the late 70's-80's will always be remembered as unfettered good times and the 3x8's will be one of those cars that television turned to help make it the icon car of that decade. Unlike the recession of the early 90's followed by the dot com bust and 9/11 in the early 2000's which is now being followed by the bust of 2008! All of these last of the truly hand made production cars if maintained and cared for will be worth six figures in the next 10 years.

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Giorgetto Giugiaro once described the 308GTB as "the most perfect car I've ever seen".

4. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007

Man, that black GTB looks SWEET! Except for those ugly concave wheels. No comment on the badge.

5. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Agree on both. I had someone ask me if my 89 GTB was a Lambo. WTF? Then another asked me if it cost $200K. I had to stop myself from laughing.

On the second point, how people and "experts" say the 3x8 will never be worth anything is amazing to me. Of course, these are the same idiots and "experts" who completely dismissed the 2x6 Dino for years. It may not be on the scale of the Dino, but I believe the 3x8 will continue to post at least moderate gains over the coming decade.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My first 2 Ferraris were GTS's, an '84 and a '87. Then, by chance, I bought a local 77 GTB and quickly realised that it just plain drove better. So all 5 of the Ferraris I have owned since have been "hardtops" including my 430. It is a misconception that the B's are only better for track use. The difference in how the two cars drive is immdeiately noticeable, as in the first 100 feet. The difference in aesthetics is indisputable. If there were more B's around for people to see and test drive, more people would want them. So, if you want the best driving example of a given model, get a B. If you must have a convertible, add a used Miatta.

Dave

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    excellent post !

8. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I guess everyone has their own personal preference. Mine is obviously the GTB. I have owned a QV in the past and yes it was nice driving with the roof off, but prefer the looks of the GTB. I find any car that is a convertable or Targa top just loses the shape.

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Well, I'd want both.

The lines of the GTB don't lie, they are pure and beautiful. The car is better as it is stiffer.

On the other hand I can't argue the pleasure of 10.000kms of open motoring in my GTS over the past 2 years. What a blast!

Both look better than all that came after.

Btw, the GTS is by no means a slouch on the track either, just different.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm with you! Lima beans suck! (And GTB's rule!)

11. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    +1

Lima beans DO suck. Yuck! (and yes, GTB's rule!)

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I too love the gtb for the looks. I really don't like how the gts roof is black when the rest of the car is another color, usually red. For instance I had a 348 gts and gtb, both red. The gts was great with the top off. It looked horrible with the top on. I know most owners paint the top to match, but it still doesn't seem the same. On the other hand all of my 308s are/were GTBs

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It's all personal, of course and my personal OPINION of this might vary depending on the car color but in a red/tan car (only color combination I was considering) I find that with the GTS roof ON, the GTB looks better. With the roof OFF, I find the GTS more appealing.

You can argue which has the "purer" lines but I don't have a clue what that means. Originally all cars were open so one could argue that a closed car diluted the "purity" of the original design. ;)

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1000

15. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Do the GTBs have more room inside for those of us over 6'3" (since you don't have to store the top behind the seats)?

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #41 climb, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    On eof the pure joys of these cars is the sound, and there is no questioning that one can hear those lovey exhaust tunes far better on an open-tpped GTS than on the same with the roof on and, accordingly, a GTB. I love the lines of the GTB's but and would've been happy with one, no doubt. However, being in Southern CA...well...do the math...

Cordially,

Scott

18. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    +2, or is it 3 now?

-F

19. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Well, as a southern boy, I love lima beans......but not as much as my GTB. I have never liked the targa look on any car. The flat roof in black really breaks the car up no matter the make/model (the 911 comes to mind). A 355 with color coded targa kept the same roof curvature and is the first targa that looks as good IMO. No disputing that cruising around in one with the top off is a blast though.

20. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #45 PittsS2APilot, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
    I’m with you Chris! All true southerners love to fish, even when nothing is biting, fried chicken cooked in lard grease, cleaning their plate with a slice of bread squeezed between their fingers while “sopping up” all the gravy and we stand at attention while listening to the Battle Hymn of the Republic eating our lima beans over rice. Yeee Haww…Lets go blow something up! Lol

21. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One of the pure joys of these cars is the sound, and there is no questioning that one can hear those lovey exhaust tunes far better on an open-tpped GTS than on the same with the roof on and, accordingly, a GTB. I love the lines of the GTB's but and would've been happy with one, no doubt. However, being in Southern CA...well...do the math...

Cordially,

Scott

22. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #47 celestialcoop, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
    Jon,
    I understand where you're going with that thought. The numbers don't quite add up, though. It's the other way around: 2487 GT & 1274 GTS produced, according to the Dino Register. :)

All,
    We had a black-on-black GTS QV, and loved it; I still have a hankering for a GTB. As with the 246, I think that the aesthetics are nearly flawless in either iteration.

Cheers,
    Coop

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wasn't the 246 GTS launched later than the 246 GT?

24. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Yes, by nearly three years. First 246GT: Mar '69; earliest known 246GTS: Feb '72.

I've referrenced the Dino Register, again, for continuity & accepted accuracy.

Coop

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That's what I thought. Once launched, the GTS outsold the GT, correct?

The success of the 246 GTS is why I question whether the 308 was designed strictly as a berlinetta.