430 ignition switch "start" position | FerrariChat

430 ignition switch "start" position

Discussion in '360/430' started by mousecatcher, Oct 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    The F430 ignition switch goes from off to run and if you keep turning has a spring loaded start position, like a typical car. On the F430, of course, the start position doesn't start the car. Why does the ignition switch have the extra position? I don't believe it's to re-use the key switch from other vehicles or because it's a "stock" part. My Ford GT, with engine start button, doesn't have the extra position on the key switch.

I guess I'm wondering if it has some function I'm not aware of.

2. coffee

coffee Rookie

Jul 13, 2008
    #2 coffee, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
    Yeah i noticed that..

from my point of view in the f430
    ferrari has always had back up plans in the f430

For instance:

if the boot doesnt open (electronically) there is a string u pull that opens that

another string that opens the glove comparement and the same goes for the gas cover. just in case the buttons dont work

I guess this is just another back up plan, just in case the button does not work.
    u can still start it like a normal car and enjoy a ride.

Best,

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Since the 360 uses an ILCO FIAT key blank, I would say that ignition switch has been used for a very, very long time!

It is doubtful Ferrari would go to a new switch.

So I would assume the 430 switch is the historical same, and the last "start" engage position is just not used.

4. JonW

JonW Rookie

Sep 3, 2006
    I suspect you´re right about that, because it´s extremely annoying. Especially if you don´t drive the car every week, it take you some seconds to realise that you just don´t have a flat battery.

Then you realise that the start button is just a pointless gimmick, that only makes the starting up take longer time.

The suggestion that it´s some kind of back up for the start button doesn´t make any sense. The other systems mentioned are mechanical systems as back up for electric controls in case you´re out of power, but as far as I now Ferrari have never used one electric switch as back up for another.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The big surprise to me was when I was doing an ENZO key for my car.

The local key expert indicated after checking his books that the key blank was for an ALFA, FIAT, LANCIA, etc!

How about that? From the 60's on up and the key is the same.

That means the lock is the same!

So maybe the key from my old Fiat 128 is the same as my 360?