Any Oklahoma University Alumni? | FerrariChat

Any Oklahoma University Alumni?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by stradleboy, Dec 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    I am from NC and looking at attending OU. Most of my family has gone there. I was hoping to get some one from outside the family to possibly give me pro's and con's of life in norman and the university as well. if this is the wrong forum please move. Thank you in advance.

Bennett.

2. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    they've got a lucky football team.
    but seriously, from what i've heard, it's a pretty good school, i got some info from them when i was looking but set it aside, good luck on your search.

3. stradleboy

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    well if u call beating missouri twice i dont call that luck i love it .(im originally form illinois) but yea the navy will be paying for my college as after my 4years at the university of my choice i will be an officer. and OU has always been a dream to go to and now that money wont be a deciding factor im looking at all the school i thought were longshots. Also if you are just from norman or surrounding area youre incite is valued aswell please.

Bennett

4. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    perhaps I am not exactly what you are looking for, but I am in Law school at OU. Not only is our football team "lucky" enough to beat the tar out of Missouri twice this year, but the town isn't all bad either.

What is it that you are looking for in the place you go to school? Do you have any idea what you want to study? A little info on what you want will go a long way toward helping figure out if Norman is a good match for you. If you are hoping for a big city atmosphere you will be sorely disappointed. That said, there is a good social scene and an excellent academics.

Give us some good info to go on and I will give you my best guess as to how you and OU will or won't fit.

5. normantrack

normantrack Rookie

May 6, 2007
    OKC
    i didn't go to college at OU but have lived here in moore and in norman for a while and have had many friends go to OU and never heard any complaints, plus Norman is a great place, i work there and couldn't be happier with this area around here. You can live good for a lot less than many other places out there. Maybe this helps?

6. stradleboy

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    I am planning to study History and possibly double majoring in polotical science depeding on how my senior year go's. I am not looking for a big city really more interested in good academics and a good all around college experience. Like i said above im gooing into the navy after my 4 years. Therefore i will not have alot of time to party which im told by my cousins is quite a good time at OU. Hopes this is some more info if u need mroe jsut let me know and ill do my best to get it out there.

Bennett

7. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave

OU sounds like a good fit for you. They have great academics and offer a wide variety of experiences. I am not overly familiar with the history program, but do know that ROTC is strong here. The navy guys run past my apartment on a regular basis. They have quite a large group. Also, there is decent social scene around here, but the distractions are only as bad as you want them to be. If you want to tie down and focus on academics, that is very doable. However, don't forget that you should enjoy college some as well.

PM me if you have specifics that you would like to ask about.

8. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    PRO- OU Football, small town feel- big city access (OKC), cheap cost of living, excellent academics, loudmouth Texas fans never come to Norman

CON- OSU campus is prettier, nightlife kind of lame compared to schools of similar size, Boomer Sooner song gets annoying

Seriously, OU is a nice school. The Oklahoma City Metro area has relatively cheap flights and easy access from all over. It's a pretty traditional college experience. My friends that went there really enjoyed it, I've heard no complaints.

9. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do we have a closet OSU fan... its ok someone has to go there!

10. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    Closet UT fan- ha ;-)

11. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Absolutly...Tulsa is my home town. When they don't play OU I am always rooting for the Golden Hurricane.

12. dmnwlf

dmnwlf Rookie

Dec 22, 2007
    I graduated from OU in 2000, and I enjoyed every minute. Like someone else said, college is really what you make of it. That being said, Norman is ever expanding and bringing in more big town amenities, but it always seems to retain its small town charm. Obviously, athletics is huge and there is nothing like attending an OU football game on a cool autumn night, but there are plenty of bars around the campus corner area. I disagree with the person who said OSU's campus is prettier as OU has attempted to beautify the campus through the past several years. As someone else mentioned, OkC is only 20 to 30 minutes away and has the Bricktown entertainment district and will probably have an NBA team within the next two or three years.
    Really the only negative is the beer you buy in anything other than liquor stores is limited to 3.2% alcohol, and typically the selection of microbrews and imports can be limited (for instance, you would have to drive to Dallas for some of the better microbrews, but it's only a two hour drive and breaks up the monotony of college life).

13. Patman36

Patman36 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    TU is my alma mater... ;)

Patrick

14. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Living in Dallas, I had to endure the Texas/OU game at the Cotton Bowl every year. Eventually one picks sides and because of it, I have a large crimson and cream vinyl decal on the back window of my Comanche...

...in Oregon.

15. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wise choice... If I were a Longhorn I would eat myself!

16. roverguy76

roverguy76 Rookie

Sep 10, 2008
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Full Name:
    Brantley Cowan
    I'm a Sooner! New on here... nice to see you guys here!

Brantley

17. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    Stay away from the School of Geosciences...particularily the School of Meteorology. There are better places to go. Norman is a wonderful places to live, granted it isn't exactly a cultural Mecca. I always liked Norman; the people are friendly and there is always a southern hospitality decour. Best of luck with your endeavors.

Boomer Sooner
    James

18. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This sees contrary to popular wisdom...

I would love to know what the details are behind this recommendation.

19. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    When I started the program in 1999, there were 260 freshman like me who had aspirations to become meteorologists. Four years later, only 31 remained. Statistically, you have a better shot of making it through the Navy SEAL program and I would argue there are more suitable academic institutions that award degrees of this caliber. As an OU grad, I have earned my right to criticize its faults.

20. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I never questioned if you had the right... simply wanted to know the reasoning.

To sum up what I think you said... stay away because the program is brutal and weeds out way to many people. Is that a fair assessment?

Where would you recommend that one go to get a meteorology degree?

Is it fair to assume that you are a meteorologist? Or are you one of the millions of college grads who work in field unrelated to your studies?

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to an donkey, but rather trying to get what Paul Harvey would call the rest of the story... since your opinion is so different than the conventional story told.

21. Patman36

Patman36 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    TU, my alma mater. The campus looks wonderful, I'm looking forward to homecoming this weekend. The stands have been packed the past two games, it has been great.