Has your 308/328 ever had any gearbox work done? | FerrariChat

Has your 308/328 ever had any gearbox work done?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Has your 308/328 ever had gearbox work done?

1. Yes

2. No, but it needs it

3. No, and the gearbox is fine (shifts fine, etc.).

4. I don't know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I'm struggling with some worn syncros at a (really verified!) 60k miles, which seems premature to me.

Was wondering if anybody's 308/328 has ever had gearbox work done? I guess this would imply pulling the engine, possibly separating the gearbox FROM the engine, and opening the gearbox up.

If yes, could you post your year/model 308/328 AND the mileage that the work was done at?

2. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Mike;
    Did you try to change the oil? Are you sure it is bad synchros? I understand the right oil can make huge difference in shiftability. My 328 has 65K miles and is a little "notchy" but it shifts good after it is warm. I plan on switching to Redline 75-90NS.

Mark

3. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Mike, I have a 75 GT4 with 72,000 on the clock, never ever had any tranny work done and I have only replaced the clutch only once! Not bad eh? No notchiness in my shifting, still shifts as new. I use StaLube 75W-90 for LS and it works just fine for me. Been using StaLube since I bought mine in 1982.

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Mike,
    I have an 81 308 GTSi with 30K miles. The second gear syncro's are bad, but I have yet to fix them. As I recall, they were always a problem from the first day I bought the car new. I guess I have just learned to live with it. When I finally get to the point where I have to do an engine out, I will rebuild second gear at that time. My 2 cents.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My engine is out right now for a rebuild. I figured I might aswell replace the 1st and second while the thing is apart. I wasn't having problems with it,but they are common to go,and besides my car is 22 years old now. It it was a while your there type deal for me.

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tom: I would recommend checking 3rd gear very carefully (the ring and the hub, too). The 328 workshop manual describes in detail how to do this. 3rd is the problem for me--2nd is also an issue--1st is seldom an issue. My $0.02.

--Mike

7. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Yes, I too have gone through a transmision rebuild, several synchros as well as a couple of gears. Expensive, but shifts real nice now. I am just know getting back to shifting into second as opposed to skipping it most of the time.