Have you ever loved a pityful car? | FerrariChat

Have you ever loved a pityful car?

Discussion in '308/328' started by GeoMetry, Oct 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #1 GeoMetry, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a 1994 Geo Metro (45 horse power 3 cylinder engine) with 225,000 miles on it. It never needed oil between oil changes, always started right up, A/C would freeze you out of the car. Always passed emissions tests with flying colors. It regularly got 45 mpg and I once got over 70 mpg. Parts were dirt cheap. I think it is one of the best cars ever made. Mine was completely rust free and I only paid $375 for it. I could change the timing belt in 15 minutes but it didn't matter because It had a non-interference engine so I never worried about the timing belt. A complete set of four tires from Sears was $125 installed! Unfortunately my son was turning 16 and there was no way I was going to let him drive that deathtrap, so I sold it on ebay for $3500 to some guy who drove from Ohio to Washington DC to pick it up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #2 GrigioGuy, Oct 6, 2008
  3. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Oops, I didn't think about that I really did post this in the wrong place. Sorry.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I was just talking to someone about those cars this past weekend. Excellent fuel economy for a point A to point B hatchback. I took one in on trade when sold Hondas back in 99, I think $500 is all the dealership allowed. I'm sure if you can find one they are climbing a bit more in value.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    my first car was a used up, repainted gas guzzler 77 trans am with a 400 cube engine. i think it leaked more fluids than it actually held. several years and owners later i was contacted by someone who knew i was the local king of trans ams, and i saw what was left of it after a terrible accident ( guy walked away). car was utterly destroyed.

my favorite beater of my youth was an 86 red toyota mr2. you could not kill that car, and it was faster than my 308s! :cool:

6. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I had one of these... was my first car. Registered originally to Lindabird Johnson. It was a total POS by the time I acquired it but it was still cool cause I had a car when no one else my age did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koEDAMwkcxo

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 Jdubbya, Oct 6, 2008
    I had a couple along the way....how about a 1979 Buick Riviera? Best snow car I ever had but it kept having a hot start problem I couldn't figure out. Also had a 70 something Dodge Magnum. Dog of a car but I bought it for $300 with only about 30K miles on it, drove it for a couple years, loaned it to some friends who eventually blew it up, then I sold it for....you guessed it $300.

Now I just have this one (although it's a LOT less pitiful than it was when I got it!!) ;)

8. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    #8 canadiantifosi, Oct 6, 2008
    Ahhh, old car memories. Mine first ride was a 1972 Chevrolet Biscayne (similar to pic.) 4 door, mint green, 350 cubic inch small block, 2 barrel Rochester carb with an automatic column shift.

This old car was my Dad's and he didn't like any noise when he drove on the highway the long distances between construction jobs and home, so he never ordered a radio for the beast.

The car was bought brand new with nothing checked off on the option list. This was a bare bones boat but it was a luxury liner to our blue-collar family. Legend has it that the car was originally ordered for one of the line foremen at the GM plant where the car was made and therefore a little extra effort and TLC was put into the assembly. Upon delivery, the foreman changed his mind about the "No Frills" sedan and it was put back into GM Canada's general inventory where my Dad picked it up at a discounted price.

No way of ever proving this claim but it sure made a heckuva good story to explain its reliability and extended life expectancy.

Being the 4th of 5 kids, I had to share the car with my siblings and parents. The old car affectionately named "Sarah" had more non-stop use than a Manhattan taxi cab but the old beast simply wouldn't die, although it lived on a steady diet of alternators and starters. When the car was rounding 200,000 miles on the odometer, my friends and I had it wound out on a straight stretch with the speedo showing triple digits (young and foolish as we all were in our younger days.) and wow!, that backseat was big enough to handle even the most gymnastically-talented girlfriends of my high school years.

My dad showed me how to flip the breather (the air cleaner lid) and when you dropped the tranny into low gear and punched the pedal it's throaty roar woke up the dead. He warned me with a little grin that I should never do this unless he was around. Low gear was good for nearly 60 mph with the valves almost popping through the hood but you couldn't kill this mouse motor, but Lord knows I tried.

The old car was finally put out to pasture with 265,000 miles on it and if I could find one today for my father, I would drop it off in his driveway with the the title in his name. It would be a nice treat for him instead of his Dodge Caravan which he curses must have been made on a Friday the 13th. due to the plethora of problems he has had with the "Bic Lighter" of minivans.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #9 JoeZaff, Oct 6, 2008
    1979 Lancia Zagato. Stock photo (can't find any of mine). This car did more than any other to cement my love for Ferrari...and also why it took me so long to work up the nerve to buy one. Every single system in this car failed at one time or another and it was, IMHO, the biggest piece of S$#t ever made. However, it was absurdly entertaining and met more nice people on the side of the road...Great stories.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I AM GUILTY OF SECRETLY LIKING MASERATI BITURBO'S (not a secret any more). I drove an '84 Biturbo from Boston to Sacramento in '98 and then back to Boston in '99. It drove brilliantly then entire way. I have an incredible soft-spot for all things Maserati, but biturbo is the Detomaso bastard child which ruined the company's long (longer than Ferrari's) fantastic history.

11. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    1971 VW Bug, Light Blue, AutoStick (rare, similar to Valeo, kinda). Probably 50HP, stock 1600cc engine.

I bought it out of some guys front yard for $200 in 1987 or so. Had the local VW aircooled expert rebuild the engine., sold it in 1992 or so with 70,000 miles on the engine (unknown on the body). Still had great compression. Changed the oil every 1500 miles.

FLOORBOARDS WERE RUSTED THRU! Was like that when I bought it. I just placed 2x4's on the floor. I admit, it had to be funny to see me hit a puddle after a rainstorm and see the inside get soaked.

I still want an old bug as my daily beater. Rubber band engines but darn well built.

James in Denver

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    1980 Toyota Celica. I tried my hardest to demolish that car, but in the vein of Timex, it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. It was quick (for the day) got good mileage and I had a ton of fun in it--was a high school and college car. I have been searching for months for a decent 70's-80s Celica and just haven't found one yet. About the only issue would be rust, those that haven't rusted out and are in great shape simply aren't for sale.

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Cool story....

14. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My Hummer H2, Love it but I swear its american trash.... I think because I love it, it breaks alot.....

15. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    My favority beater was a Yugo that I paid $350 for. I eventually put another $600 into it. The Fiat engine was free-reving and begged to be driven hard. It was a blast to drive and very reliable. Parts were cheap and, best of all, when I sold it I got every penny back I had put into it.

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You are the bravest man I know. My friend's brother had a Yugo. That car scared the crap out of me. It had all the structural rigidity of a soda can. Everytime I got in the car, I prayed I would get out of it alive.

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Aw hell, I do own a 308 GT4 :)

Used to have a Lancia Zagato just like the one above. Also an Alfa Spider and Fiat 131. My wife says I never learn from my mistakes...

Dom

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I had a Yugo in college. Loved that car. It got totaled when a big ol' pickup ran a red light and took the front off of it.

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dom,
    Where your Zagato experiences similar to mine? I would love to hear your thoughts on that car.

On another note, You know what is really funny, I feel like the Zagato is still with me as the mondial (and 308/328 for that matter) use alot of the same switchgear...talk about not learning from your mistakes.

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    1973 Opel (made in Germany) station wagon.

A love i'll take to the grave with me.

R.I.P power wagon

21. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    #21 Brunello, Oct 6, 2008
    Sorry, I believe I had the most undependable first car....a 69 Triumph Spitfire with Lucas electrical system and dual webers. The only saving grace -its the easiest car to work on! Check out the engine compartment!

22. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #22 jeffQV, Oct 6, 2008
  23. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 76Steel, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    Not a bad car, but a car I got rid off too early was an 1989 Nissan 240SX. It cost me $4500 used and my payments were like $35/ month. Yes, that's 35 dollars a month. I put a $125 JVC stereo in it and the car run great with awesome gas miledge. I should have kept it, because it was awesome ..... one time I got stuck in water during heavy rains/ light flooding ... left in out to dry for an hour - boom! back in business!!! But, no .......... had to sell that to buy a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT with 50K miles ... I had it for 40K miles and the transmission went - nice! But, I did like the car though ...

From then it was American and added the 308 Italian baby!

24. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Had a '89 240sx xe. Nice handling car. I could get the rear end to swing out on entrance ramps back in the day when i did dumb things like that on the street. What a great feeling though. I see why they became the darlings of drift culture. Car had a 115 mph limiter but mine didn't cut out until 120 mph.

Goodtimes..goodtimes

25. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Come on guys, we are talking pitiful cars here. So far, none of you are even close to me -- my first car was a 1954 Hillman Minx with a 1956 Hillman Husky engine in it (basically a little British death-trap box on wheels). Bought if for a buck, as it didn't run, floor boards were completely rusted out, and had to tow it home with my dad's car. A little bit of wrenching and 25 bucks worth of parts, I got it running. Replaced the floor boards with some plywood and sheet metal screws, and then covered the wood with some carpet I got from a dumpster out back of a carpet store. The car was a 3 on the floor, the clutch could barely get the car started on any kind of a hill, and the engine put out maybe 40 hp. And it was a good thing that the car wouldn't go over 50 mph, as the tires were bald and 15 years old with dry rot, and there were no seat belts in it. Oh, and the brakes were basically "stomp and pray." But I drove that pitiful little car for a year, and ended up selling it for $75 when I went off to college. In it's place, I got to drive my dad's '64 Corvair, well after Nader dubbed it "unsafe at any speed", another pitiful little car.