What do you sleep on? | FerrariChat

What do you sleep on?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Buzz48317, Oct 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My wife and I have been promising ourselves that we were going to upgrade our mattress for quite some time now. Well the 3 year old daughter just got a new mattress so we decided that while we were in the mattress buying mode we would go ahead and buy one for ourselves. We tried out several mattresses at the store and decided on a Simmons Beautyrest Black "Helena" model.

The mattress should be delivered on Wednesday, however now I am hearing things like, "Oh, you shouldn't have bought a pillowtop mattress as they tend to sag over time and leave body shaped divots in them when the foam breaks in." Now I am starting to wonder...

Any experience with pillowtop mattresses here and specifically with the Simmons Black Edition line?

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont remember which model it is but I have a Simmons Beautyrest. Bought about 2 years ago. Already has depressions in it. getting uncomfortable to sleep on.

It was a little under $3k if I remember.

3. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    Tempur-Pedic, BellaSonna Bed.

Make sure you buy top and bottom otherwise you loose the totol benefit . Best bed I have ever slept on and probably the last one I will ever need. Never needs turning, fits perfectly to your body regardless of how you sleep. My kids sleep on the same brand but the Rhapsody Bed. Being they sleep alone and the comfort is a little more suited for a lighter weight person they also have a great night sleep.

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Any girl I can find for the night!

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    can't believe this thread made it three whole serious entries before this was posted!

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Can't remember the brand, but I have a pillow top and it hasn't sagged--about 6 years old-----Been told good things about the sleep number

7. Tom_C

Tom_C Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Raleigh area, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In the past 6 years I have had a memory foam (can't remember the brand) a Serta pillow top, and now a Simmons regular top. i was always told to get the best mattress you could afford, so tried to get the nicest, best feeling of whichever model I got. unfortunately, I have yet to be able to find one that hasn't sagged on me. it could be that at 6'3" 240# maybe I'm just too heavy for em, as my 130#ex wife never had her side sag. The memory foam was pretty good when it was cold, but in the middle of the summer, I literally felt like I was lying in a valley. I've had the first two replaced under warranty because you could actually see the sag with no one on it. My latest is about a year old, and I can tell a huge difference in the side I normally sleep on, the side I sometimes sleep on, and the middle.

I hate to admit it, but some of the best mattresses I've slept on have been in certain hotels. Anyone know how often they change the mattresses, as unless I'm staying in a fleabag, they never sag...

8. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Had my first experience with a sleepnumber at a Radisson a few weeks back -- like sleeping on an air mattress with some padding on top. Terrible.

9. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Sealy queen mattress with 1.5" memory foam in a 4 post waterbed frame.

10. Classics in Camera

Sep 8, 2008
    nr Cochem, Germany
    Full Name:
    Helmut S.
    as I live in Germany, it makes no sense to name the brand

I prefer sleeping hard and bought new expensive mattresses just a couple of days ago. I've choosen hardness grade 4 again which is comparable to a wooden board

I'm 50 of age, always have a great night sleep - despite that for me sleep is a waste of time - and never had back trouble.

I also prefer to sleep FLAT and use a pillow quite seldom.

Seems that I must be a true masochist :)

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wanting a new mattress myself. My parents are getting ready to move, and they have a faux-temperpedic in what use to be my bedroom. One of them will sleep there after they get waken up by the other snorring.

They've mentioned a few times they don't like sleeping on it anymore because it's "hot". I've never had the problem the few times I've slept on it. I sleep rather good.

I believe they're ordering a Sleep Number after doing research the last few months.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    We also had a memory foam that was "hot"; hated it and it developed depressions within 2 years. After moving across state we needed a replacement since the MF was too heavy to take with us. After testing nearly every bed in every store in Orlando we found a Sealy Posturepedic Pinellas Park Ultra Plush Euro Pillowtop at a discount-bedding shop. This is the BEST bed imaginable, like sleeping on a freakin' giant marshmallow. Man, it doesn't take but a few minutes to fall asleep and then I'm out for the duration. If I didn't have an alarm clock I'd never wake up. When I finally do there are never any aches, cramps, etc, just a feeling of being well rested.

13. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, I don't think that I am going to be able to change my wife's mind about the pillow top thing. The mattress has a 10 year warranty so if it does sag I will just call over to Simmons and let them know. I do hear good things about their customer support center on these Black series mattresses. I will report back on Thursday with how the thing sleeps after the first night.

14. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Tempur Pedic here, had it for 6 years. No problems at all with the mattress, love the feel and density. It'll probably go another 20 years.

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    been sleeping on a california king waterbed for the last 40 years. my wife has a pillow top serta that i can't stand. too soft. it's like being suffocated.

16. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Tempur Predic something King size

17. true

true Karting

Jun 5, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have the Simmons Beautyrest Black - Orchid. I got it about 2 years ago and am still extremely pleased with it -- I love it.

http://www.beautyrestblack.com/collection_orchid.html

I spent probably 3 months of time researching before deciding on it. I'm not in the mattress business, but it seemed difficult to conquer because manufactures license the same products under different names with the same manufactures. It's almost impossible to cross compare product lines.

18. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Been sleeping on a couch for the past 4 years, ever since my back gave out. Now I cannot sleep in a bed and haven't slept in my bed in over 4 years. I've never slept in the bedroom of my home. My back is fine now, but I'm so used to it that when I try to sleep in my bed, I doze off for around 20 minutes and then wake up over and over. I sleep like a baby on this couch.

I am a mess when I go out of town for a gig. Can't sleep.

My girl is fine with it at home, though - not offended.

RMX

19. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    hahaha :D

20. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    You won't go wrong with the Tempur Pedic .. I've had the king size for a few years now & have never slept better.

21. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Select Comfort sleep number.. love it, had it for 8-9 years. The pump scares one of my dogs to death though.. My number is 45, Bridgetts is 15 lol .

22. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    lots of mixed reviews on the sleep number. Folks either love or hate it...no middle ground.

23. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep, different folks, different strokes:)

I think they give you 30 day trial still?? They did when we bought years ago..

24. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have to ask, where does the "magic" happen?

25. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I have a pillowtop mattress. I have no clue what kind it is. It hasn't sagged yet and is a few years old. However, I don't know but that I might not sleep better on a different type mattress. I have trouble sleeping in general so I'm not sure how much a new mattress might help. I seem to sleep better in hotels than at home. I keep thinking a firmer one would be beneficial.