Before and After Pictures! Bust Them Up!!! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Before and After Pictures! Bust Them Up!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DrStranglove, Jul 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave

My workout is pretty simple.

Monday Chest Tuesday Legs Wed Back Thurs Shoulders Fri off Sat Arms Sunday off

I try to do about 12 to 16 total sets per body part. Usually grouped into 4 sets with 4 different types.

I do 10mins on the big step machine the one that is pretty high in the air with rotating steps. Then right after my workout I do another 30mins on it. I think they call it a step mill.

That is the easy part that I could teach a monkey to do.

The hard part is diet.

Reason is sticking to it and eating the correct way at least 6 days per week. I usually cheat on Sundays. By cheat I mean eat what I want when I am out but not eat a bucket of Ice Cream all day long. Not an all you can eat crap buffet.

Breakfast is oatmeal protein shake and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.

Next 2 meals are usually the same. Spread 3 hrs apart. I eat 1/2 cup measured uncooked rice with 8 to 12 oz of chicken, fish, turkey, lean steak.

Then I have a pre-workout shake. 40 mins before workout. Which is 2 scoops of super pump and 1 scoop of vitargo.

I drink gaterade during my workout.

Then my post shake right after cardio. 4 scoops of whey isolate 2 scoops of vitargo 15 grams of glutamine 10 grams of creatine 12 grams of BCAA.

I also take 3 gel caps of flaxseed oil per meal, 2 Amino Acid Caps, 3 Digestive Enzymes, 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter.

I take about 20 different pills or caps in the morning also. A lot of stuff but most of it is more than 95% of the people need on this board.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #102 darth550, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
    I leveled off at 100 for the last several swims and pushed it to 110 today. I'm getting through this in a little more than half the time it used to take to do 50 a few months ago with seemingly minimal effort.

3. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I'll post pictures up on the 14th and every month until I reach my goals. For this month I dropped my three mile to 20:17, increased my pull ups to fourteen, and have dropped my weight to 196. The worst part about having fat is that when your numbers improve you can't always see the immediate results like skinny people can.

4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like a good Idea, I've lost 12 lbs since I started Woo Hoo. I'm down to 225. I think I'll join you on the 14th of every month.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How long does it take you to swim 100 laps and how many feet end to end?

I doubt I could do 25 laps.

Keep up the good work. You have the right attitude.

6. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    #106 GG, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
    Weighed in at 181 after my PW shake... getting thicker...

7. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Hi5 :)

I'm anxious to post the pictures too. I feel like I've made strong improvements.

8. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another very important thing to know.

For fat burning you want to do slow cardio over a longer time. Walking on a incline is better then running.

I do the Step Mill at my gym. Like a giant set of roating steps. Level 6 50 mins per day.

I know it sounds wierd but your body will not go after the fat reserver at high leves. It is much eaiser for it to burn carbs as fuel so it wil take them first.

Not saying you wont lean out but the leaner you get the harder it becomes. Plus much better for your joints in the long run.

9. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It looks like the evidence is overwhelming. Low intensity exercise is the best way to go. You should definitely be the tortoise and not the hare. But, wait a minute. Let’s not be so fast to criticize the poor hare. Why don’t we take another look at those reasons for exercising at an easy pace?
    PACE, FAT BURNING AND FITNESS

Energy to fuel your body is produced using a using a combination of fat and carbohydrates. At easier paces, a higher percentage of your calories are coming from fat. When you increase your pace, you begin to burn more carbohydrates to produce energy. So far, it looks like the tortoise was right. The problem with this thinking is the fact that working out at an easy pace burns fewer calories. Weight loss is a function of calories in versus calories out. If you burn more calories than you are eating, you will lose weight. So to lose weight, you will want to maximize your calorie burning ability. Let’s use our famous tortoise and hare in an example. Running burns approximately 100 calories per mile. In this example, we will assume that the hare runs at an 8 MPH pace and the tortoise is trudging along at a 4 MPH pace. In 30 minutes the hare will travel 4 miles and burn around 400 calories. In that same 30 minutes the tortoise only went 2 miles and burned 200 calories. That’s one point for the hare.
    Now, what about the amount of fat being burned. The exact percentage of fat that you burn at various exercise paces depends a great deal upon your current fitness level, how efficient you are at running or walking and the amount of muscle you have. Generally speaking you are burning somewhere around 50% of your calories from fat at an easy pace and around 40% from fat at a moderately hard pace. At these levels, our hare would have burned about 160 calories from fat. The tortoise would have consumed around 100 calories from fat. That’s two points for the hare and zero for the tortoise.
    I am sure you know that building muscle gives your body a great fat burning boost. Almost all energy production and calorie burning takes place in your muscles. The more muscle you have, the more efficient a fat burner you become. Our tortoise is not doing a very good job at building muscle. Moving at a slow, easy pace does not require a lot of muscle power. As you increase your speed, you begin to recruit more muscle fibers and require them to contract more quickly and with more power. Your body responds to this by building more muscle. So, training at higher speeds means you will increase your muscle mass and as a result; you will burn even more fat. The score is now 3 to nothing in favor of the hare.
    HIGHER PACE AND RISK

Many individuals mistakenly associate faster paced exercise with higher physical risk. The main reason for this is because when they see the word speed, they are thinking Maurice Green or Marion Jones type speed. Faster pace exercise does not necessarily mean all out sprinting. It simply means running at various paces that are a bit faster than your normal easy pace.
    This type of training has many benefits. It strengthens your tendons, which will help you avoid injury. It builds your muscles so that you are stronger and more powerful. It increases your level of fitness. Most important of all, it increases the health of your heart and decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease. If you are keeping track, that is 4 to nothing with the hare pulling away.

10. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    It seems to me that you just corrected your original post. Now you can't sit on the fence on this issue lol

11. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    \
    What do you mean. My first post i said slow pace more fat burning. Then the article online i copy paste for my next post saying about same thing. So what do you mean.

From article "Energy to fuel your body is produced using a using a combination of fat and carbohydrates. At easier paces, a higher percentage of your calories are coming from fat. When you increase your pace, you begin to burn more carbohydrates to produce energy. "

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Looking good Dave, What's your height and weight?

3 digestive enzymes per meal... wow. I just take one per meal. Think I might increase it. All the eggs, meat, milk, protein shakes, starts to wreck havoc... lol

What is the purpose of those tablespoons of pb? It seems to be present in every bber diet. What is special about pb? To add that seperately to meals on top of the shakes, etc. Just another protein source? I also hear almond butter is popular, but never tried it.

13. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    When I read your first post I understood that a slower pace but more time was better for fat burning, but when I read the article you posted I was under the impression it said the direct opposite. Hare 4 Tortouise 0. I guess I read it wrong.

14. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    #114 Aaya, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One day early but here's my progress picture. I still have to kill that fat around my gut so I'm upping my runs to 4 miles per day. I had to buy some 36" jeans to replace my 38" ones. They should last me until I have to get some 32" 501's =)

Weight: 199 -> 195
    Pull ups: 9 -> 15
    Bench: Haven't maxed recently. I can do 165x10
    3 Mile: 20:17

September 14th/October 13th
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    #115 thirteendog, Oct 14, 2008
  16. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Now you have public accountability. If you slack off we'll get on you about it :D

17. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Is the 3 mile on a tread mill?

18. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    No, it was from a Marine physical fitness test.

19. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Impressivo!

20. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN

Yeah I think that's why I did it, lol. Thanks Good luck on your goals.

21. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    #121 GG, Oct 19, 2008
    176.5. Must be dehydrated (drank like a fish last night). Bench press has gone up. Shoulder press has gone up (excited about this because I've always struggled with this lift). I've been neglected my back, though, because I hate pulling. Either way I'm excited about my progress. I'll be doing a 7 day 'get ripped diet' (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr116.htm) starting on the 23rd (I'm taking a small vacation on the 31st and want to get rid of as much water weight as possible).

22. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Nice improvements Cam.

ThirteenDog how's your progress coming this month?

I've gone down from 195 -> 192 so far. Hoping to show off a sub 190 pic on Nov 14th.

23. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    #123 GG, Oct 26, 2008
    Aaya, I think you should post progress pics more often. I think your progress is awesome so far. If you added an EC stack to the mix, I'm sure you would hit the low 180's in no time. Either way, keep up the good work.

Anyways, if you've been following my progress, you know that for the last 6 weeks I've been taking this gym stuff seriously (except for this past week.. breaking up with a girl = feeling like sh*t = eating like sh*t = drinking your pain away = negative results...). I've been eating pretty well (I say 'pretty' because I definitely don't eat enough in the morning, and too much of my protein comes from whey). Regardless, I have been seeing gains for the first time in my life. Everyone who says diet is KEY is right. You can bust your ass in the gym 7 days a week and you won't see any results if you're not eating well. I've come to realize that there's always something to learn when it comes to working out. You could read 100 different articles on lifting weights, and none of them could apply to you because you and only you knows how your body reacts to certain inputs. You've just gotta keep switching things up until you see what works, and unfortunately for some people, this can take a lifetime. I never won the genetic lottery. There's people at the gym that might lift once a month, and eat McD's 5x a week and have a better physique than you, but you can't let stuff like that stop you. If anything, it adds fuel to the fire. Eat well, work hard, and results will come. I still got a LONG way to go, but at least I'm on my way there.

I will say this, though. The crappiest thing about changing your physique is having to buy new clothes. I love to shop, and I spend a ton of money on clothes, but nothing fits anymore! All my medium shirts are skin tight now. I guess it looks good when you have a t-shirt that's glued to your arms, but I don't like tight clothes really so I gotta go out and buy some size L shirts now....

This pic is from a couple of days ago, 179.5. Everything is getting thicker, feeling stronger. Diet was lacking this week because I forgot to go grocery shopping and I've been dealing with this break-up...

24. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    #124 Aaya, Oct 26, 2008
    Sorry to hear the girl Cam, don't let it derail your progress anymore though. I was going to do the updates once a month because I thought small incremental changes would be boring, but here's my progress from the beginning to now.

(1) Some random before picture. 215 lbs
    (2) September 14th after 2.5 months of running and one month of lifting. 199 lbs
    (3) October 14th 195lbs
    (4) October 26th after my first 5k race 192 lbs

25. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Last week was great. I kicked off my Frozen meal habit and started eating even better. I feel like I'm eating all freakin day long though. I also changed my daytime schedule. I now get up at 4am to go to the gym for 2 hours before showering and going to work. (1 hour 15 minutes of cardio [broken up between treadmill and eliptical] and 45 minutes of weights) I do this 4 to 5 days a week and still hit the gym on Sunday for extra cardio. I'm down to 220 lbs. I can't wait till Nov 14th to show off my results. Even more so I can't wait till I pass the 200 mark.

Oh this Sunday wasn't the greatest. I stopped by my moms after church and she made her Lasagna. I ate a small portion just to satisfy her. ( I get tired of the, you don't need to lose any weight speech.) ahhh Mothers.

Other than that progress is being made, I'm still looking into road bikes for next spring.