599/430 Prices Crashing | Page 5 | FerrariChat

599/430 Prices Crashing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Napolis, Oct 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #101 ferrari sulla pellicola, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
    the wholesale offerings of every major mfg highline car are quite plentiful..those 430 prices are nothing compared to what ive seen cross my desk the past week or so on big ticket MBZ,POR LAMBO etc.....its a buyers market for sure but dont think that EVERY 430/599 will end up priced so cheap. ive seen brand new cars offered at below list a few times they were quickly snatched up.. most of these cars are lease turnbacks,repos and sell offs from those who are cash strapped! im pretty sure there are more to come sos those with the means to buy such cars and hold them for a better day should start looking for extra storage space..

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    kinda of what I was thinking too.

and correct on the latter bid, believe this is a buyer's better environment.

3. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    #103 bizz, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I seriously doubt it, but I have been wrong before...

IMO things will get worse before they get better, but I don't see things getting that bad...

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    At forks in the road, Luxuries and Commodities split.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not what I meant. The late model cars made in he 70's got killed and stay killed. I think the same fate awaits big SUV's now.

Dave

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Guys, the SUV thing was a joke. Sorry for the distraction. The car market will no doubt slide, how far I dunno- would love to see some of the really desirable older cars come back within the zone of reason, e.g., Daytonas, 275 GTBs, etc. But, the new models aren't just missing the 'collectability' aspect; the profile of the buyers is generally different. Those guys- at least here in the NY area- are the ones who got clobbered first in the financial mess, so it doesn't surprise me that the latest model cars are the first ones to plummet.

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Now you tell me Bill, after I've nabbed 10 'Sclades and some Navi's with dubs. Old Bentley's drive better ;)
    If you can't afford it, or may NEED to sell it, don't buy it. That seems to be what got us here in first place-Ironic it is hitting the enablers on the downside.
    My 599 was a lousy investment, but flat out, it's priceless every time I drive it.

9. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    +1 in spades.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Phew! My faith in you is renewed.

Dave

11. silver-gt

silver-gt Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    Thats right, and lets face it. There will be a new 8 cylinder ferrari soon enough. As far as the Ford GT replacement...not happening FOR A LONG TIME (if ever)! That's why prices for the 430s/Gallardos drop more significantly; and cars like the Ford GT and classic cars (the ones not bid up to ridiculous levels) havent moved down that much.

12. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    my opinion, 599 will be had for current 430 prices sooner than what some may believe presently. 550s will be at sub 60k or less soon.

13. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Seriously, if I can finally get a GT, I doubt I will want anything else anytime soon. Wouldn't matter to me what prices do after that. Down/up, wouldn't care.

RMX

14. REMIX

That would represent a phenomenal value IMO.

RMX

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    IMHO,
    this is the F car market correcting itself...these cars were tens of thousands over MSRP and now people maybe realizing that you can buy a R8, GTR, Z06, or ZR1 for a third of the price with the same or better performance...Ferrari is no longer really hand built so they can't claim that. so it only leaves that you are paying for the badge...

so now that money is tight people are thinking more, actually too much

16. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

While I agree that the market is tightening, sdo you really believe that the Ferrari buyer is a buyer considering a Corvette or Nissan as an option? I disagree.

17. REMIX

As an outsider (i.e., non-owner) I think very much so with those who were not Ferrari enthusiasts in the first place. Those who really appreciate the history, lineage and such will want the brand no matter what because of what it represents. A lot of poseurs out there who will end up in GTRs and Vettes because the economy finally flushed them out and forced them into something else.

RMX

18. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This correction, which is occurring with frightening speed, has little if anything to do with would be Ferrari buyers suddenly crossing over to a Corvette or Nissan.

And in fact, the Corvette market is down as well: The just introduced ZR1's market price is steadily decreasing on a linear scale. R8s market prices are also decreasing as you can find one at MSRP.

19. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    I look forward to that day. If you liked it at the old price, you gotta love that discount. I'd be all over that.

20. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    +1

21. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You're right. Chevy actually halted corvette production for all of last week due to oversupply and they've lowered production by 20% going forward.

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    One observation about possible bargains in the 5-10 year old model range: a 550 at 60k dollars may be a true bargain for the car (I've owned two of them and not at those prices), but the amounts necessary for repair and maintenance will not correspond to the purchase price of the car. And, a car of this 'vintage' is certain to need attention.
    So, for bargain hunters, I would urge the same routine that is always recommended: cars with known history, service records and PPI, as well as a realistic budget for repair and maintenance.

23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I was never implying the people would choose GT-R over Ferrari but if you are after pure performance then yes, most true enthusiast buy the older cars...my point is that these were grossly overpriced and now they are coming back the realm of realistic...

now, everyone who overpaid is complaining and now they are beside themselves because they are losing sooo much money...

Its Bargin Time!!!

24. Tom LaPointe

Tom LaPointe Karting

Dec 29, 2005
    Tampa, FL - Go Bucs!
    Full Name:
    Tom LaPointe
    I disagree; the SUV revolution revived it, and look at ALL the cars with 300+ (real) horsepower on the market. even 400 hp is passe these days. It DID take 20+ years to return, though.

25. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I don't quite follow -- I think you are conflicting two differences of opinion.

If you are a "true" (whatever that means) enthusiast, yes you might love and buy the older cars. If you are after pure performance, I'm sorry but the modern cars have it all over the vintage ones.