Paul Newman and Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paul Newman and Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by GIOTTO, Sep 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed,

You left out that Ken drove the Daytona on the street with open pipes. His sole concession to street use was changing to street tires from slicks. On one of the ride and drives to Mark Dees house the car had just come back from a race (Daytona?) and it still had all the stickers on it except the race number.

Didn't three of the Daytonas go to the race all together one time? Ken's, Ray Ramsey's and Carridine or had it become the attorneys' from Century City by then?

Jeff

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #27 Marcel Massini, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
    I stand corrected. Sorry.
    I only looked at the "Star Buildings" decal on the nose and figured out it has to be Ken's 15685.
    14437 (#64, photo in post #21) is then the car owned by Charles Arnott in MD/USA.

My apologies.
    Marcel Massini

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #28 GIOTTO, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Car number 65 is #16407.

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #30 Ed Niles, Oct 15, 2008
    Jeff and Giotto: In 1977 there were 3 cars: 14437, a first-series alloy which I had brokered to Ray Ramsey/ Ferrari of S. F., race no.64; 15685, Ken's car, race no. 66; and 16407, owned, I think, by David Carradine (one of the drivers was Bobby Carradine, who wiped it out on a cool-down lap in practice), race no. 65. If memory serves, it was Ken's car that came in 5th O.A., which encouraged the gang to go back the next year with 2 cars when they came 2nd after team manager Otto Zipper died in his motel room the eve before the race. Quite a tale for a 6-year old car. Here are some pix that show what these once-pristine cars look like after a bit of racing. I can't id Giotto's pic, but it's not Ken's car as his never had polished rivets nor the trick window.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Ed, fantastic photos!!!

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed,

As I remember at the time, it was David Carradine (Kung Fu, etc.) that owned the car so his younger brother Bobby could drive it.

Is that the one that went to the 2 attorneys from Century City that decided while doing tequila shooters to car racing? At one of the FOC meetings I remember them giving an absolutely hilarious story on how they made the brilliant decision to become a race car owner.

The time that we had Ray Ramsey's team and Carradine's team at an FOC Riverside meet was an article in People Magazine. Clint and Maggie Eastwood came to the event as well as all the Carradine brothers and father. Ray Ramsey got black flagged and banned from driving on the track.

Jeff

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That #66 car photo looks like S/N:14437 as it looked when sold off to a Japanese collector.

9. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #34 Maranello Guy, Oct 15, 2008
    Modulo_B and Christian.Fr like this.
  10. Donelise

Donelise Rookie

Feb 21, 2008
    Newport Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Don Paul
    Hi Jeff, the '' 2 attorneys from Century City'' were Jim McRoberts and Bill Nicholas, I used to work on Jim's Ferraris after the Ferrari
    Store went upside down. I remember Nicholas spinning #16407 at Riverside and ripping a oil cooler line, after driving 100+mph
    back to my shop in Santa Ana to procure one I had in stock, I sent the car back out a hour later.Bruno Borri also did alot of work on this car. Thank's for the flashback !
    Don Paul

Modulo_B likes this.
  11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Wow! Nice. There are some very special photo's here. Those raced-out Daytona Comp car pics are simply amzing. Those were the times!

Thank you all for sharing. Lets keep this going!

Modulo_B likes this.
  12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #37 Jdubbya, Oct 16, 2008
  13. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
  14. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    Giotto, STP,
    peux tu traduire, et sais tu de quoi il retourne, sur ce record du monde de vitesse?

24/9/1974 record de vitesse, Bonneville (USA)
    Luigi Chinetti jr./Paul Newman/Graham Hill 512 M "1020"

et bien entendu, y a t-il des photos.

15. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006

cette photo à été prise quant il est venu à Maranello en compagnie de ses avocats pour prendre commande de sa 308 GTB.
    photos "AutoSprint" 1977

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    TRANSLATING: Bruno ask if there are informations about a record in Bonneville with Luigi Chinetti jr./Paul Newman/Graham Hill and a 512M #1020". Personnaly I never heard of that... Maybe someone knows or has any photos?

17. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing. :)

18. DUKE1

DUKE1 Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    James
    #43 DUKE1, Oct 16, 2008
  19. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    most probably 19595
    1978 driven by Paul Newman in the SCCA, entered by Ray Ramsey's Celebrity Race Team
    12/03 - owned by John Goodman in Seattle and will be at Cavallino, with the original Budweiser transporter, both restored.
    25.1.05 – Cavallino Classico Shell Ferrari Maserati Historic Challenge, John Goodman

20. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  21. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    thank Giotto, and Duke.

Giotto, je n'ai pas bien compris ou plutot pas du tout. ce record, il est sur quelle distance, et quel temps?

22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Le NART avait, comme souvent, très mal préparé sa sortie. La 512 était bien fatiguée après de nombreuses courses (le V12 marchait sur 9 ou 11 cylindres), et finalement aucun record n'a été battu. Il y avait aussi une Daytona présente.

23. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    merci.
    donc un coup d'épé dans l'eau gelée du lac salé de Bonneville.

ça me fait pensé à une chose. . . quand j'était gamin, une dizaine d'année, j'entendais parler des records Campbell
    à Bonneville. et je me disait "ce serait bien si je pouvait y aller une fois!"
    dans mon idée, Bonneville c'était à 40 kms de chez moi, en Haute Savoie.

menber, scuse my french. my verry bad Inglish

24. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Mais moi aussi quand j'étais petit, je rêvais d'y aller... Et j'en rêve toujours encore d'ailleurs.

25. csalapatas

csalapatas Rookie

Aug 23, 2011
    What a walk down memory lane...!!! My ex husband, Bill Nicholas, was the Century City attorney who bought the Daytona from the Carradines and went on to race her 2 times with Bruno Borri and Luciano Fabbio... 79' and 80' - yes, Paul Newman was there at the 80' race I attended, but drove a Porshe....

I wonder what happened to the Ferrari Club gang... The Paul and Ann Pappalardo from Greenwich, Ron Spangler (Prancing Horse Farms), the drivers - Morton/Adamowicz and the team run by Bruno and Luciano??? Modena Motors doesn't seem to be in business any longer.

FYI: Both Bill Nicholas and John Roberts are deceased... The car was sold to a Dutch buyer for cash as I recall...

Crystal Salapatas (Nicholas) Los Angeles
    [email protected]