355 vs. testarossa | FerrariChat

355 vs. testarossa

Discussion in '348/355' started by SONNY, Oct 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SONNY

SONNY Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Hello all......I am looking to trade my 87 Testarossa for a 99 355 spider. Question is: Am I looking to increase my maint. issues? What about prices (TR is turning around and heading up; 355 is still skidding)? Fun factor? Can they be compared?

2. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    I just did something very simular I gave up my 1986 testarossa for a 348 spider ... no regets yet. You'll find that the 355 is more of a daily driver ... and can be driven harder with less worries ... at least that is my experience.

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Please do not convince anymore TR drivers to trade in their slammed pickup trucks for our nimble sports car 348's and 355's. :p

Maintenace demands about the same but for different things. Better parts availability. Much better handling and driving experience. Inferior high speed freeway stability, however.

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have owned a TR and a 348, at the same time. You really can't compare the two cars. The TR is a GT car and the 348/355 are more sports cars. They are both great cars, but completely different. It all depends what you want.

5. SONNY

SONNY Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    For a DIY person (hands-on), which is more doable? How many guys work on their 355s? Are the mechanical issues the same,i.e., drop engine to work on belts, etc?

6. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, 355's are engine out for belts etc. They can be worked on DIY and many here do that. :)

7. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I had a 512 TR, had a 355 before that, am back to a 355 now. The thing I like most about my 355 is the open top. The thing I liked least about my TR was the thought of blowing the gearbox. As I had a 512, arguably a better car than the earlier TR, I think it is fair to say I believe you will enjoy your 355.

But the TR is a special car, no doubt. They are different, exactly as described. TR is a classic GT exotic, the 355 is more of a modern Ferrari, for better or worse.