Used Cambiocorsas? | FerrariChat

Used Cambiocorsas?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by DGS, Oct 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There seems to be a glut of 3 to 6 year old Cambiocorsas on ebay lately. And at prices that appear low for an Italian car.

Granted, most reviewers hated the paddle shift box in traffic, and this was a fairly low priced Italian to begin with.

But these seem to have lost a pretty large percentage of their original price.
    Is it the car's quality, the issues with daily use, or is it the economy?
    Or is this normal depreciation for a "regular" car?

Any local reviews for daily use? Would a coupe version work in winter?

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Probably just the economy. The cambiocorsa cars were likely bought by a more casual enthusiast so they're being turned over more quickly. The vast majority of the cars came with the cambiocorsa so it may be a discount factor there.

I don't think it is the quality, nor do I think it qualifies as a regular car. Maybe just a regular sports car without the same fanatical following as Porsche.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    preception is everything, just look at our financial mess. remember ferrari sold maserati to fiat. does FIAT spell quality/exclusive to you. hey, you better have yourself checked into the shrink.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have a cambiocorsa spyder, paid next to nothing for it and I can't sell it. I mean it's no big deal since I love driving it. I think it is a much better car and more fun than the usual porsche conv or sl mercedes. It's also cool to say I drive a Maserati!

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was about to buy a '03 cambio Spyder the other day at the behest of my wife wanting to have a car she would enjoy riding in (she hates the Ferrari), but I just could not drag myself to get the cambiocorsa model. It has to be a manual for that particular car. If it were a 599, 430 scud then I would have no problem getting the F1 'box due to it's substantially better performance. THe performance in the Maserati F1 'box is just not that great and I prefer shifting on my own anyway. Other than that, I really liked the car and was prepared to have it as my daily car. Maybe once I find a manual car

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have an 02 Cambio spider that I bought new. I still own the car and like it a lot. It's got a fantastic motor, is easy to drive around town, a very comfortable interior, a great exhaust note (compliments of a tubi I put in), is plenty fast, and surprising has been remarkably reliable. As long as you don't use the car in AUTO mode (which is really horrible), the paddle shifting is in most cases very rewarding (it's got the 03 software and clutch update). Most people think you paid a fortune for it. Even when I bought it new, people guessed it costed 20 to 30 grand more than I paid for it. People still ask me about it at stoplights (the look still turns heads).

Lastly there is that somewhat magically feeling people get in the name "Maserati" -- even from those who don't even know what one is. I see them mouthing it when they pull behind me -- and then they smile and look. I get asked all the time at gas station fill ups: "who makes Maserati?".

I would say they are truly one of the great values on the market today if you want a true Italian machine to knock around in.

7. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You do know that Ferrari is also owned by FIAT, don't you? ;)

8. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have an 04 Cambiocorsa that I have used as a daily driver for the last 16 months. The car has been perfect with the only exception being that the first owner drove the car 3800 miles in 3.5 years and I have a few emissions things to sort out. That was all done with a few resets of the CEL and all has been great ever since.
    I am currently one of the guys that is helping create the "glut" of cars. I have a 2nd child on the way and need a bit more space since my other son is only 18 months old. There is not room in the trunk for 2 or a double stroller. I am getting very little interest in the car but then again I do not want to sell it, I just need to sell it sometime soon.
    I think people are afraid of the horror stories that they read on the internet but I have yet to hear a bad thing on the 2004 and newer cars from an owner of a Maserati. All the horos I hear come from a friend of an owner. I want to hear it first person. Everyone I know that owns one loves it as much as I love mine.
    If you are seriously considering buying a Maserati, find a good car, there are still cheap, and at the current prices the resale is no worse that owning a Porsche.

9. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    And unlike a Porsche, the motors don't blow up.

10. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    and the garage floor stays oil free (at least for now)

11. Ulf

Ulf Karting

May 28, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Full Name:
    Ulf
    #11 Ulf, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    would love to buy a GranSport. Prices are really falling and you get a lot of car for the $$. On the other hand I am not sure that when time has come to sell it in a couple of years it will be that easy. I believe that a 996 Porsche Turbo might be easier to sell. Do like the looks of that GS though.

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    just sold my 04 spyder. great car, not so great gas mileage, very hard to sell.

13. Ulf

Ulf Karting

May 28, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Full Name:
    Ulf
    how much of a hit did you take in what time period if you don't mind asking ? Just want to get a feeling.

Thanks

14. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #14 RossoCorsaItaly, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    These cars can be had now 02-03 under $30,000 all day.

04-05 under $35,000.

If you pay anymore, you're a schmuck!

:)

I have owned an 02 Spyder and an 06 Coupe. They are amazing cars, breathtaking and worth every penny. I paid $70k+ for mine new and I thought they were a bargain then. I'm picking up an 02 Cambiocorsa this winter to mess around with.

Also they are super reliable, very few problems I used mine as daily drivers.

Regards,

Kevin

15. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If you see an 04-05 stick in the 40's PM me. :D

16. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You're talking wholesale prices...

17. Ulf

Ulf Karting

May 28, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Full Name:
    Ulf
    I think $50K for a GS is a nice price (actually a steal from what they cost new). That is actually what I have been eyeballing now. Lot of a car for the $$.

Ulf

18. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #18 RossoCorsaItaly, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
    eBay.com

Wholesale is actually less. 02-03 for less than $25k at auctions when they come through and 04-05 around $30-33k, people pick them up at auctions and try to move them on eBay for 7-15% mark-up

You know this though, you're far more experienced than I am in Maserati sales.... just don't wanna shoot yourself in the foot. Don't blame you :)

19. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #19 RossoCorsaItaly, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
    clean title 04 with 21k miles for $34,900. It's been in a wreck but if it's not salvaged chances are it wasn't that bad. Get a PPI on it and get the frame laser checked to make sure it is straight, if it checks out I bet they'd take $30-32k on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maserati-GT-COUPE-6SP-04-GT-COUPE-RARE-6-SPEED-MAN-LOADED-SKYHOOK-NAVI-XENONS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6313QQihZ015QQitemZ250307738114QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

20. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If it wasn't black I'd be interested. These cars look great in almost any color, but I've had my fill of black cars. Tough to have in FL.

21. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I think Maserati Coupes/Spyders are the absolutely best buy out there for an "exotic", "high performance" market. Both Cambiocorsa's and manuals are an absolute steal right now. I've seen a lot of 2004 and 2004 Coupes for mid 30's to mid 40's. Great deal. Not sure how much lower they have to go, but I can't ever see these things being worth less than high 20's (???). I'd love to find a dark blue/dark tan, manual 6 speed, <15k miles, if anyone is looking to sell.

Alberto

22. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I'm not shooting myslef in the foot...I sure wouldn't touch an '05 that is being retailed for $30k, much less wholesale. If I didn't already have plenty of inventory, I would be more than happy to buy clean low mileage '03s for that kind of money.

23. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And there lies the problem, while I don't know your specific case the prices are as low as they are because they are moving very slow.

24. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig

:) I knew as soon as I hit "submit reply" that this would basically be the response :) If you ever have clean low mileage '03-'06's you want to sell that don't have any stories and include all books, keys, tools, etc, give me a call...the prices you're talking about seem almost too good to be true.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It is cheap cars like these early coupes that test my resolve to pay my house off before buying something fun!

I actually think they will bottom in the high teens to low 20's for a driver car in a few years. Maybe 10 years old with 50,000 miles or less. I haven't looked at cars for several months until this morning and couldn't believe how quickly the early Coupes have dropped from the $40k-ish range down to the low 30's on Ebay. They only seem to be keeping their value slightly better than an XK8 or XKR, and we all know those define precipitous depreciation.

There is a 2002 blue Coupe in AL right now (6-speed) that would be a great buy at $33k IMO, although black interior. But in the coming years those early cars will continue to dive toward the bottom. Wait 12 months and get it for $28k, or 24 and get it for $25k.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___COUPE-GT-6-SPEED-LOADED-NAVIGATION-SKYHOOK_W0QQitemZ200262541874QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200262541874&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A-1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I realize that the current Maseratis are miles away from the bad ol' days of the Chrysler TC and BiTurbo, but perhaps the marque's lingering reputation drives resale down. There are also so many incredible cars these days that Maseratis are just one of many alternatives.