348 TS 1990 to 348 Spider 1994 | FerrariChat

348 TS 1990 to 348 Spider 1994

Discussion in '348/355' started by Kevinbag, Oct 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevinbag

Kevinbag Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have just sold my 348 TS and have a found a 348 Spider which I havent driven only seen photos. It is from a very reputable dealer and has full history and a low milage.
    I am getting the spider next week.

What are the differences other than the obvious - Roof etc.
    Handling?
    Suspension?
    Power?

I am gratefull if somebody can fill me in on this.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Its 4 years newer ;)

3. Kevinbag

Kevinbag Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #4 Kevinbag, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. First Ferrari

First Ferrari Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    #5 First Ferrari, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
    The later models have a wider rear track. I think they handle better but that could all be in my head! Good looking car, enjoy it!
    Also the later spiders have about 10 more HP.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #6 BT, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
    It could have been some worn shocks, but my dad's 348 spider was noticeably more cushy riding than my 348TS. The rear wheels of the spider have a larger offset built in to the hub casting. The air intake comes from the door strake area instead of the slot by the rear pillar. There was some info about doing something to keep the intake from sucking up hot air near the radiator when idling. It sounded like a simple fix, search for "348 idle" and I think you can find the thread (it was within the past few weeks). The car looks great in the photos! Congrats!
    :)
    BT

Edit: The thread is here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217145
    and the discussion was about the 355 having a rough idle from the intake air location.
    Sorry!

6. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    Having driven both I will echo the comments about the later car riding better. Handling is also much better. For some reason my TS felt (feels) like it has more punch, but could just be a difference in the 2 examples or weight maybe.

7. Kevinbag

Kevinbag Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Does the spider have another very small front spoiler underneath the standard one in the front?

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Spider has no extra spoiler. Better exhaust and more refinements than your TS due to model year improvements. Interior better organized, IMO. Much more body flex however. Smaller gas tank (18 gal to 22 gal US) and slightly shorter passenger cab to accomodate the folding top. Good handling and high speed stability. You highest speeds can should only be driven with the top down - I did it, but the book cautions a top speed of 105 for top up (very conservative). There are also some spider only parts you might want to research. Discovered this at Ferrari parts department. I went the other way - spider to TS SS. TS is quieter with windows up and top on and I have the goth muff system. AC works better in TS (only because it is better sealed). A definite plus was wider rear track by 25mm per side and the spider muffler. This is why I got a SS - it has all this stuff too.

9. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    The later cars also received updated items - clutch ( single plate ) , alternator ( Nipondenso not Delco ) , Bosch 2.7, plus the items others have already listed.

Don't forget a few more horsepower and a higher max RPM.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Congrats Kevin, just in time for summer....next step a Tubi or even a challenge exhaust system.

11. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I believe my manual quotes 88L - or 22 gallons. I've put in 78L of fuel in mine once (19.5 US gallons).

spiders are great fun - and this one looks sharp with the white interior, enjoy!

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You may be correct, but the coupes do have a larger capacity, this I know from experience. :)

13. Kevinbag

Kevinbag Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I got the spider on Friday. What a nice car. The biggest difference is the handling. I just sits, no slight wondering about road like the TS would do. Which had 25mm spacers on the rear. Very important for the TS was type pressures 2.2 bar all around with Pirrelli P zero. The moment you go over 2.2 it became a real handfull. The only slight disappointment with the spider is the sound. The TS had a challange exhaust and no cats. Spider is standard exhaust and cats so it sounds a bit "*****." My wife is happy she can have a conversation while we are driving. I will have the exhaust sorted!!

14. Kevinbag

Kevinbag Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow for a few thing for them to sort out. Aircon not working and a few other small things. The milage is 31K. It was last serviced at 29K. belts and all, but that was 3 years ago. Do you guys stick stricly to the 3 year belt change or do you stretch it a bit? The 348 spider is a very rare car over here. There are quite a few TS 's and TB's around and only 3 spiders in the country.

15. Kevinbag

Kevinbag Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #16 Kevinbag, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Kevin,

Other than the steering wheel being on the wrong side, :D I think it looks great!

Congratulations... as they say, "Drive it like you stole it!"

Mike in Kuwait