Custom Brake Upgrade: Front & Rear 15" Brembo GT kit | FerrariChat

Custom Brake Upgrade: Front & Rear 15" Brembo GT kit

Discussion in '360/430' started by shashi30004, Mar 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shashi30004

shashi30004 Karting

May 9, 2007
    Somewhere, GA
    Full Name:
    Shashi Reddy
    Hey guys,
    Just finished the brake upgrade on my F430.
    I was tired of seeing the small size brakes on the car - I think the wheel wells just look empty with the OEM steel brakes. The 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers are just too small on the 19" wheels.

I did not want to spend 35-40K on the CCB system. I ordered the Brembo 15" GT kit (front and Rear 6 Piston calipers). Made sure that I got the calipers color matched to the car and also had the lettering say Ferrari instead of Brembo.
    The size difference is huge and the cosmetic curb appeal of the car is improved a 1000% (my opinion).

Shashi

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/shashi30004/CIMG0582.jpg[/IMG
    [IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/shashi30004/CIMG0583.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shashi30004

shashi30004 Karting

May 9, 2007
    Somewhere, GA
    Full Name:
    Shashi Reddy
  3. MIKEV10

MIKEV10 Karting

Jul 8, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael D.
    WOW!

WHO DID THE FERRARI LETTERING?

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Shashi,

Well done, they do look excellent. what whas the weight of the discs and calipers?
    Do you know how much extra weight they added vs the older discs and pads?
    Any figures on stopping power?
    Whats the pad surface?
    What pads you using?
    Still got a working handbrake?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just in the process of fitting a CCM kit for my 360 which I salvaged from a dead Challenge Stradale. Your right fitting CCM is very costly as I've found out. I eventually want to fit Siemens electronic Wedge brakes but they aren't on any production cars yet so I need to wait a while to get my hand on them.

I only went the CCM vs Big Brembo brake kit (steel) because of the unsprung weight benefits but I've been told these steel brakes have absolutely sensational brake feel and actually don't weight all that much more (due to the lightweight center bells).

Whatever, congrats, they look EPIC!

Regards,

Trev

5. shashi30004

shashi30004 Karting

May 9, 2007
    Somewhere, GA
    Full Name:
    Shashi Reddy
    What whas the weight of the discs and calipers? Do you know how much extra weight they added vs the older discs and pads?
    I did not weigh them, but the weight difference seems to negligible when I held them in my hands. Maybe 3-4lb more.

Any figures on stopping power?
    There is a significant difference in brake feel. I have not felt a difference in stopping power.

Whats the pad surface? What pads you using?
    Not sure. I just used the stock pads that Brembo gave with the kit.

Still got a working handbrake?
    The rear brake kit come with an adapter kit for the hand brake. There is a working handbrake.

Whatever, congrats, they look EPIC!
    Again, for me this upgrade was purely cosmetic. I was disappointed in the stock size of the steel brakes. Especially when you compare them to other cars in the same league. Not to mention the 13" rotors just are too small in a 19" wheel well. The visual factor in this upgrade is just amazing!!!

Shashi
    AMG S65
    F430

6. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That looks awesome. Nice work.

7. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Excellent work, they look great. Well done.

I too think the stock F430 steel brakes look too small.........too much empty space inside the wheels.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That looks so sexy..Its begging to be taken out on a mountain road :)

9. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Formula 3

May 7, 2006
    SF Bay area
    Full Name:
    Michael
    looks great. awesome brakes you got there

10. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Hey Shashi,

I am glad to see you got the kit installed. If anyone else is interested in these kits let me know. We can get custom painted calipers in any colors and we can have the "FERRARI" script added as well.

11. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have you had any issues with the various traction control and stability and electronic differential programs dealing with the larger swept area and thus increased brake torque? Also, do you know if the rotors are available slotted vs drilled? My experience with drilled (albeit on a Porsche race car) rotors is that they crack much easier than slotted. Any issue with modulation and pedal feel? You're moving a lot more fluid (it's all relative) when you hit the brakes now.

No question that the brakes look MUCH BETTER than stock. Going from a 2007 Porsche GT3 with Ceramics to a 2005 F430 with steel rotors has been very disappointing in terms of braking. Scary how long the stopping distance is. I'm at the very least going to switch to Ferodo DS2500 pads (which I used on my F355 to good effect).

12. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm curious... don't all traction and stability controls utilize wheel speed/position sensors for feedback? If this is the case then factors affecting braking due to swept area, condition of pads, moisture, heat, etc. aren't measured directly anyway - only the end result, that being wheel rotary position, velocity, and acceleration/deceleration. I'm not sure about this, but I'd like to be educated if I am wrong...

Oh, and yes, those brakes look MUCH more serious!

13. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I have the same Brembo setup and they work very good and they look great too.
    Weight is a little bit more everything is bigger.
    I track the car and the feel of the BBK is very good almoust no fade after several laps.

Anyway I am going to change them for CCM red scuderia.

14. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    The rotors are available slotted from Brembo if desired but their drilled rotors hold up fine as long as you don't run them with race pads.

Gary

15. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Agreed... but on a new 430 it just can't be good for the car's warranty.

16. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #16 fasthound, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently installed the Brembo GT kit (a big THANKS to Jason at Exotica Motorsports for getting them put together and shipped out in a rush while I was out of the country) on my F430 coupe and then immediately did three track days on them at Summit Point. I couldn't be happier. Here are my impressions:

Here are my impressions...

The car is VERY capable. Totally set up for the street and on street tires, it was better than my 997 GT3. More neutral and stupidly fast. 155 mph into the braking zone in turn 1 and I was lifting before braking....could easily do 160+ but 150-155 seemed stupid enough in a street car with no harnesses, etc. I could brake at the second to last marker and easily scrub off more than enough speed to make turn 1. Every bit as good as my 911 race car which weighed 2200 pounds and had huge brakes (calipers were same used on the Porsche 917 race cars).

The brakes are simply amazing. I was EASILY out braking F430's with ceramics. Threshold braking was a bit problematic (pedal feel not as precise as I would like - but I'm sure with practice I could do it), so I just relied on the ABS. Car squirmed like crazy under braking due to the tires. Everyone on street tires was having the same issues...not surprising considering the tread blocks on the street tires. If I do a lot of track days next year I'll want to try that, but only if I get dedicated track wheels and tires...which, of course, I'm now considering. The limiting factor was definitely the tires. I completely destroyed the fronts....just like in my 993 street car before I switched to track tires. Car has almost no camber in the front, so no real surprise. If I do more of this stuff, I'll have to go with at least 1.5 degrees all around to save the tires, no matter what tires I use.

But overall, I was very impressed with the car. So I think the brakes are outstanding and would recommend them to anyone.

As for the pads that came with the brake kit, they seemed to work well. I used about 1/2 of the pad on the rears and less than 2/3 on the fronts. Very even wear. They did gas out in the second run session, but I knew what to do, and expected it, so no problems. I was running Motul PBF600 fluid, and only once did I feel any brake fade....and that was from me braking poorly in turn 1 and I got the fade going into turn 3....but managed to get through the corner and then did a cool down lap before getting onto them hard again, and they were fine. I will probably try Ferodo DS3000's with track tires next spring and can only imagine how well these brakes will haul down this car.

For anyone with a 430 that tracks the car, I can only say one thing....buy this kit and install it before your next track event and prepare to be blown away by the stopping performance.

Pics attached.

Let me throw in some kudo's to the folks I worked with on this kit. Jason at Exotica Motorsports sourced them for me, Richard at Competizione in Gaithersburg installed them for me while I was out of town, and the guy I use for overall brake performance advice and for my rotor and pad replacements is Paul Weston of Weston Motorsports. He spent an unbelievable amount of time working with Ferodo and Brembo (who do not apparently cooperate well with one another) on pads and pad fitment. I've used Paul for 10 years for all of my street and track cars and he's just incredible to work with and I have always been very happy with the results. I ended up just using the pads that came with the kit (which are Ferodo FM1100 pads) due to unavailability of the DS3000 pads I wanted. All are great folks to work with and I couldn't have gotten this package put together and installed without their support. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of these folks.

Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    How did the CCB conversion turn out?
    Any pictures?

18. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    Sashi
    What was the cost for the upgrade and where you purchased?,PM me if you can.

Jeff

19. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    The front kit is $4250 and the rear is $5295. The FERRARI script and custom painted calipers are $300 per kit. Both Fasthound and Shasi purchased from us at Exotica Motorsports. They went with red calipers but you can request any color you want by supplying us with a paint code which we pass onto Brembo. It takes 2-3 weeks for the custom caliper colors if you want to go that route. The kits are designed for non-CCM cars and so if you have a car with carbon brakes you will need to purchase non-CCM rear e-brake calipers and then the kits will work. We could get you the factory calipers as well but I am told they are about $1800. If anyone is interested in this amazing brake kit just give us a call.

Fasthound, I am very glad to see that you liked the brakes so much and I must say that they turned out beautiful.

20. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    I have MAYA Rims.Do you have the measurements of the calipers?

21. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    I have a diagram somewhere showing all the measurements. If I can't find it I will get it from Brembo tomorrow.

22. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I think the same of mines,super good upgrade now only change those stupid springs for AFCO and you will get a really nice street/track car!

23. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K

Thank you

24. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl

Dont hold your breath for the Siemens wedge brakes. They are still very much a prototype project without a launch date or platform

They are also not being developed with high performance in mind, and if ever available it will be for standard road use, and not suited to high-temp, high-performance applications, and the electronics and hardware required to make them function on a vehicle with a hydraulic system in place : no ECU support and no tie-in to traction control, changing to an e-pedal assembly---if anybody would take that on, would make CCM look cheap. Besides, you dont want to be the guy who melts the housing to the electric wedge screw drives approching the hairpin at 150mph :)

Cant imagine what benefit you are hoping for from them. (the benefit to OEM manuf. is cheaper costs overall due to removal of hyd. system). iron rotors and CCM can overwhelm any current tire and the brakes can lock from any speed/load....thats all that can be asked from them in terms of function.

cheers
    eric

25. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    #25 Exotica Motorsports, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017