360 Spider Tubi Installation Instructions Needed.... | FerrariChat

360 Spider Tubi Installation Instructions Needed....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JBL, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JBL

JBL Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I need advice asap if it's a DIY procedure or I have to wait 3 more weeks for the Ferrari mechanic to fly to my city to install it, :( , thanks in advance.

JBL

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'm not sure about the 360 but I don't think it is complicated. If it is anything like removing the muffler from a 348 it shouldn't be a big deal. You probably will have to remove the rear portion of the defuser under the car, and possibley the rear bumper to get the exhaust out. You can do it yourself. You probabley haven't gotten a responce yet from someone who has done the switch because of the new softwear. Try looking in the archives of the old Ferrarichat, you should be able to find something there.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have not installed a tubi on a 360 yet..but I do know the the bumper must be removed. The rear most section of the defuser is part of the rear bumber assembly...it all comes off as one peice. Once thats out of the way just undo all nessasary hardware and remove the old exhaust system.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have the service mauels on disk..I'll double check to make sure there isn't another step in there.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's fairly straight forward, but as always there are a few bear traps.

Lubricate all the joints and fixings with a penetrant before even attempting to loosen anything. That way they'll all be nice and co-operative, and save money/down time.

Jack the rear up high (with two jacks at the same time) and support with stands on the wishbones (directly below the shock bolts, close as possible to the tyres).

Remove the rear wheels, gravel guards, and bumper. The replacement procedure is fairly straightforward swapping. Just be careful not to scratch too many things through being clumsy. Plenty of haste and little speed! The bracket on top of the gearbox casing is a little overcomplicated, but look carefully and you'll see how it's done.

Lubricate all fastenings with copper anti-seize when re-assembling...it may be you next time. Make sure the slip joints of cat/test pipe are well inside silencer, and no gaps where the slots overlap.

When refitting of the Tubi is finished, leave the silencer and tailpipe fastenings loose, then refit the bumper. There is quite a lot of adjustment in the fittings of both bumper and exhaust system, so you can have perfect bumper/tailpipe alignment at all times. There is no excuse for sloppy work here.

Make sure the gearbox top rubber mount and thrust washers aren't slogged out as the larger tailpipes will clout the body when the whole lot rocks around at gearchanges. Stiffer rubber bushes are available.

Align the height and protrusion of the tailpipes and finally tighten all the fasteners.

Run the car for a good 15 minutes to burn off all the residues of assembly and penetrants. Then drive sedatley for another 15 minutes to get it hotter still. Then if all seems content, it's ready for a decent whirl.

6. JBL

JBL Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Thank you very much to all... :D

tbakowsky , is it possible for you to send me or post from the service manual the section I need so I can proceed asap, thanks in advance.

ferrarifixer, thanks again for your explicit instructions, do you have photos as I notice you already do it before ;) . Thanks.

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Sorry no photo's. Also, I forgot to say about the bypass valves.....simply insert an M6 bolt up the loose end of vacuum hose where you have removed the valves, and then tie the hose to the bumper support frame.

If you've changed your own oils at home, or fitted new brakes etc, it's the next level of job from there.

If you have only ever changed wheels and washed your own car, I'd leave it to your mechanic.

8. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
  9. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
  10. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
  11. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
  12. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
  13. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    The rear bumper DOES NOT need to be removed. Just put test pipes, and a Capristo exhaust on my 360 spider this weekend. Never touched any body work.
    Russ

14. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Yes, the bumper does not need to be removed. I have done it with and without removing the bumper, but for some reason I find it better to remove the bumper (more comfortable to work with and install the items). Either way, its a simple procedure even for non-mechanics.

Ernesto

15. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have installed three so far, and getting good at it. Like Ernesto said you do not have to remove the rear bumper, but if not it is tight.

If you want send me a email, and I will walk you through it.

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's like many things...you can do it the hard/slow way if you like, but why would you when there is a quick and efficient way?

Although removing the bumper may sound like more work...it actually saves a lot of time, a few damaged knuckles, a few too many stretches over the back (and if you've got a challenge grille, you'll know how easy they are to dent), and it also ensures proper access for any stubborn fastenings to both loosen, and then be 100% sure of proper assembly afterwards.

I saw the results of a poorly fitted tubi system....the cat on side had slid out of the silencer due to not being pushed in far enough, and/or done up tight enough, and then the unsilenced open pipes set fire to the bumper and some wiring for gear selection....what price to cut a few corners?? Neddless to say the mechanic in question is now elsewhere.

So, struggle on, with the bumper fitted, if you really can't get the bumper off....but it'll take you longer to do an arguably lesser job with many opportunities for error.

17. JBL

JBL Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Thank you very much to all of you :) , as soon as I'm back from a business travel on friday I will put my hands on it , and I will do it in the " right " way (taking out the rear bumper) , so I will keep you all posted as soon as I have my ears "filled" with the music we all love.....

Regards,

Jorge

18. JBL

JBL Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Well my friends IT's DONE!!!! I can't be more happy.......It was easier than I thought........ Thank you very much for all the orientation and help all of you give me :) .

I took off the rear fender as it is the "right" way to do it as some of you stated, and really is more easy to work in the red toy !!!!

But now.... I need more!!!!!!

I need suggestions about decating..... I'm 100% decided.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jorge

19. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Jorge, you lost your sh..t. You are a total Madman, LOL. Actually, the same thing happened to me on my 355, decatted now. It is awesome sounding. The only thing you will have to deal with is the Check Engine Light coming on and it is a bit smelly/gassy.

Congrats!

20. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Go ahead and decat! Mine is, and the sound is awesome. The photos I posted above are of the Tubi cat bypass pipes. Very simple procedure, even easier than installing the Tubi muffler. And, at least here in PR, my 360 has passed emissions the last two years.

Ernesto