VIR Track Date on October 29th - End of the year run! | FerrariChat

VIR Track Date on October 29th - End of the year run!

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by John Dowling, Sep 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Hello All,

On Wednesday, October 29th, the SouthEast Region of the Ferrari Club of America are holding a track day at Virginia International Raceway. FULL COURSE!

More details about lodging, directions, etc. are listed below and more information than you could possibly want. Here you go...

DATES/TIMES: The event is on Wednesday, October 29th. The driver's meeting starts at 8:00 AM, so travel in the morning requires an early start. Therefore, most of us head down the night before. The Richmond group are planning to leave on Tuesday 10/28 @ 3:00 PM from our meeting point... arriving at VIR 5:00 PM. You can certainly drive solo and arrive when you would like.

I have rented a group of 3 inter-connected garages in the pits for car parking and a hang out spot, and will have a simple hospitality area set up in the garage with chairs, some beer, sodas and light snacks as folks arrive. Typically, once everyone arrives by early evening, we head over to the pub/restaurant for dinner and good times.

OVERNIGHT LODGING: Choices for accommodations include The Lodge (hotel-like), garage suites (over top the "for rent" garages located along the main straight), or condos (which sleep between 4-8). Most of the lodging is getting full, I hear. You can cancel up to 72 hours from the event, so, just in case, reserve now! You do not have to be a member of VIR. To view accommodations:

http://www.virclub.com/lodging/

Or, contact VIR lodging at:
    Direct Line: 1-434-822-2680
    [email protected]

CAR REQUIREMENTS/TECH FORM: A track inspection on the FCA inspection form within 30 days of the event. Of particular concern are brake pad thickness and brake fluid... with a brake fluid flush required also within 30 days (or very low mileage and no track days since the last flush). A track inspection can easily be done by your local European-type car dealer if your car has not been to a Ferrari dealer within 30 days of this event.

REGISTRATION: Register with the North Carolina Chapter of the Ferrari Club of America. Membership in the Ferrari Club of America or VIR is not required. This is a private event, run by the Ferrari Club of America, whom have rented the track and organize it, set the fees, and set the rules. Click the "REGISTER NOW" box on this link:

http://www.fca-nc.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=247771&item_id=59758

DRIVER EQUIPMENT: Long sleeve shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes and a helmet Snell rated at SA2000 or better (SA2005). An onboard fire extinguisher, special harnesses, gloves, etc. are not required.

VIR PRO SHOP: There is a pro shop on the property at VIR with a large selection of helmets, gloves, accessories, etc., far more than is needed or required. So, a helmet purchase can be made on the day of the event. Expect to spend a minimum of $350 for a helmet. Helmets range in price from $350 - $1,000+. All helmets are made to the same protection standard. Generally, the only difference between the helmet price is weight. A more expensive helmet is lighter, but still protects to the same standard. I have found $350 helmets very comfortable and work just fine. The company running the pro shop is CDOC ("see-dock") (at VIR: http://www.oaktreeproshop.com/ or 1-434-822-8223, or the CDOC main website: http://www.cdoc.com/shop ). They also have a large warehouse East of Charlottesville off High way 64 if you would like to go there, in advance. You can call them at 1-800-915-2362 or see the website for specific hours and directions.

RUN GROUPS: Cars are usually separated into 3 groups to make sure speed/experience is similarly matched. Usually each run group gets to run 4 sessions of approximately :25 minutes per session, two before lunch and two after lunch. Run groups do not run together and rotate, so groups: 1) beginner/less than 5 track days (and sometimes with a pace car leading the way), 2) experienced, 3) race/high performance cars (for example) will go out on the track individually in the order: Session 1) for :25, then Session 2) for :25, Session 3) for :25 and then over again: 1), 2) 3) etc. (the order might be altered). So, there is down time inbetween your sessions. Bring a fold-up chair for sitting.

GENERAL INFORMATION about VIR: A full service pub and restaurant are located on the property, and are quite nice. During the mornings/day, a trackside grill is open serving breakfast, breakfast sandwiches, coffee, juices, sodas, burgers, chicken sandwiches, subs, fries, etc. Various grades of Sunoco gasoline and racing fuels are also located in the pits with credit card activated pumps. The property is fully enclosed with fencing and 24 hour security patrol. Very accomodating and well run facility.

TRACK LOCATION/DIRECTIONS:

VIR Virginia International Raceway
    1245 Pine Tree Road
    Alton, VA 24520
    Main Number: 1-434-822-7700
    www.virclub.com

Directions/map:
    http://www.virclub.com/location-map.html

Any further questions, please do not hesitate to PM me, or Ronnie Rumple at Foreign Cars Italia.

2. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback for the writeup. Glad it helped! I always worry about too much information and then folks not reading any of it! But, it is all there.

Basically, to prep your car for the track (you can do all this at the track) everything that is loose and not mounted needs to be removed. Floor mats, garage door openers, CD cases, sunglass cases, owners manuals... etc. Not only does this need to be done in the passenger compartment, but also in the trunk area (the spare tire can stay). Everything contained in the car that is not secured, has to come out. But, most folks do this part right at the track before the tech inspection and pile their stuff up in the garage area since they drive their cars there and also it only takes a couple minutes. I bring a medium sized box with the top lids cut off in my trunk. Then, just throw everything in there trackside.

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    #3 J. Salmon, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look forward to seeing you down there John. Always a great time.

I'll hope for everyone else's sake that the weather is better than this spring. Otherwise, you might see a blue audi in your mirrors... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Jay... look forward to it, also. I got a little hospitality area going in the garage (and you know the beer will be cold) if you come in Tuesday night.

JD

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Yup, staying in a Suite Tuesday. See you there!

6. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Hi Folks... just to bring this to the top as it is fast approaching! John

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^ Can't wait to see everyone at the track!! It should be a rip-roaring good time.

I'm also happy to say that lolaman will be in my passenger seat for a chunk of the day, barking commands and hanging onto any fixed object in the car.

I can think of no better way to close the year than with friends at VIR. :)

8. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    #8 Cyclenirvana, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
    Will you let lolaman ride with me some? Or better question, would lolaman be willing to ride with me too? Pleeeease!

9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

^ I think we're doing a bit of a menage a trois with him. ;)

10. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    The 10-day weather... which is all we got at this point... is looking about as good at it can!

11. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    I wonder if any of the CAFE ( Charlotte ) or Raleigh guys are signed up ? I asked this question in a CAFE thread but no one responded. ( maybe they think I am crazy for asking ) :) The Piedmont group has at least 10 registered.

Both groups seem to have good turn outs when they are going to Starbucks and the shoping center... The photos show some really nice cars. Hopefully we will get to see and hear a few of them in action.

We all know that a day at VIR is better than .... you name it.

VIR has good coffee too :) We need it for the 8:00 am drivers meeting.

Weather forecast is still looking great !!

I am still hopeful that all groups will be represented. It's not to late to sign up.

12. spbogen

spbogen Karting
    Owner

Aug 23, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob

13. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.

14. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Only thing I disagree with is the good coffee at VIR...it's passable. The track more than makes up for it though.

15. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Pretty fantastic day, high 50's in store for us this Wednesday 10/29 at VIR.

For those of you arriving on Tuesday night (recommended since the driver's meeting is at 8:00 AM Wednesday), the Oak Tree Tavern & Restaurant, VIR's on-the-premises restaurant will open special for us on Tuesday night (usually closed Mon/Tues), since almost all the rooms are sold out and there will be enough people to make it worth it.

So, please come to VIR on Tuesday evening early enough to come over to the Tavern and support them for opening for us (they stop serving food at 9:30 PM). The food is quite good and a great atmosphere in an old converted farmhouse. Prior to going to the Pub, come by the garages in the paddock for happy hour and some beers from 5-7 PM as everyone arrives. Garages 1, 2 and 3.

Also, anyone contemplating coming, you can show up the day of the event and register that day. Just have your inspection form done, of course. Looks to be a great event!

Ronnie Rumple / John Dowling

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

You cannot simply "arrive and drive". As John states, you MUST have a pre-tech form completed.

17. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    exactly... done in advance by a shop (can be a European car dealer, repair shop, etc.) that goes through the tech form item by item (link provided in top message) and completes and signs. This needs to be done in advance.

18. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Getting giddy now. Just put the car on the lift to get it ready tomorrow, inspection Tuesday AM, then off to the track. Looks like perfect weather!

19. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Please tell me those F40 pads arrived safely?

20. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Heard from a reliable source that a Scuderia will make an appearance!!

21. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Hope you will all be there by 5:00 and come by garages 1, 2 & 3 for a beer as everyone arrives. 7 PM or so head over to the Pub.

Looks like ideal weather! Getting pretty wired myself.

Ronnie from Foreign Cars is going to try to have his gang there by 5:00, too.

JD

22. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Eager to see y'all tomorrow evening. Got the 360 off the lift at 6:30pm tonite. Alignment shop worked overtime to finish the alignment with correct shims (previous shop inserted whatever was handy). While the car was on their lift, they let me install my race pads and track tires. God it was so much easier with a lift! Daniel, thanks for shipping the shims out so quickly. I scrubbed the tires and bedded in the brake pads on the way home :)

Lou

23. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone have a rough car count? I really can't wait, I will be doing lots of photography and video, hopefully it won't be too cold.

24. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Man, they had been here so long I had to dig through the mess that has become my garage to find them. I almost snapped a picture of the box, just because it says "F40" on it :)

25. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

30+