Tracking the F355 | FerrariChat

Tracking the F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by TheRye, Oct 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheRye

TheRye Rookie

Oct 4, 2008
    Reston, VA
    #1 TheRye, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    Have any "amateur" drivers ever taken their F355 out to a track like Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Va or Virginia International Raceway in Va and driven it there as an amateur novice? Did you attend any driving schools before going there? Was it part of an organized track day or are there SCAA events that are open to inexperienced drivers?

I've been dreaming my whole life about owning a Ferrari and now that I do, I dream of taking the F355 out for a real track day. Thing is, I've never driven on a road course or paticipated in any organzied, legal racing other than drag racing the Mutangs, Hondas and the like growing up, which isn't very useful when considering this kind of event. I don't even have one of the newer helmets I'd probably need, still got my old kicked aronf DOT $100 helmet from my drag racing days.

I'm defiitley a noobie as far as getting out on a real track, I make no claims to being anything other than an average amateur car enthusaiast and the last thing I'd want to do is wreck the car, but if I can find events where I can go around under control until I getcomfortable I'd really want to try it. I'd probably start with one of my more experienced friends, get some pointers, learn the car and maybe work from there. The idea is exciting and I'd really look forward to it.

If I needed an expensive driving school before hand, then it might set me back, but if that's what it took, then I'd likely look into that, Skip Barber or something like that.

Right now, the thought can be intimidating and overwhelming, not to mentioned expensive and involved, but its the chance to live through those kinds of experiences that made me buy this car and I'd be dissapointed if I never really got to drive it the way it's designers intended, which is to race it.

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You should at least come down to VIR on Wednesday and see what it is like. You can contact John Dowling if your interested. [email protected]

3. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Try going to your local Porsche or BMW clubs. They usually will do drivers ed days where experienced drivers take you around the track showing you the line, braking points, etc. Once familiar you will do it yourself with the teacher in the car. Additionally, DE events are covered by your insurance policy...please check with your insurance company first. My friend destroyed his car at a DE event and was covered. It usually costs $100 or so which goes to track rental... it is a great way to get started. Once you do one event you will be confident enough to take your Ferrari to lapping days. Go a head and buy a nice helmet as you will need it. While you are waiting for the DE event you can design your helmet paint scheme... nothing is better than being on the track...especially in a Ferrari. I joined SCCA built an ITA honda CRX and got licensed...it was that much fun...wheel to wheel racing is silly fun...

C.

4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I was on track about 4 or 5 events in an Audi before I took my 355 out at VIR. Spun it in hog pen first day, in the dry, simply driver error. Lucky I didn't total it, got of with a few scratches in the rear bumper. Have a bit more seat time now (that was several years ago), and I will be there on Wednesday at VIR with another 355. But it was an eye opener for sure. And I know many others who have had similar events. I am not trying to scare you (OK, I am, because it sure as hell scared me). It is quite possible to overdo it as a novice, and it takes a bit of seat time to really feel comfortable with any car, let alone a no-driver-aid mid-engine car. Many people say to never take a car on track that you cannot afford to total and get nothing back out, and they have a point.

That being said, I cannot imagine owning a car like this and NOT taking it on track. Unless you are a complete idiot on the road, you will never experience the car as it was intended. But seat time and good instruction is key (I did not have an instructor when I spun). I also have found that - silly as it may sound - a sim like GTR is helpful to hardwire opposite lock and the reaction of the car to throttle. Both are things you do not have time to think about if something happens at speed. It is not the same as real seat time, but it is better than none (and I have many, many hours on GTR2).

Look me up if you come down to VIR and I'll be happy to take you for a controlled lap or two. Red 355 GTS.

5. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    +1 here. I spent a small house trying to make my 348 a track worthy car because once you start doing the track days you get addicted real quick and you need to go faster. I then went the SCCA route in sports racers and not F1000 and couldn't be happier and I don't have to sell kidneys anymore. :)

That being said nothing beats getting the girl out there for the first time and actually having fun with the car. I totally think you should check with the local PCA/BMWCCA/etc in your area and get signed up for a HPDE session. It will be the most fun you have in a long time. Simple rule to remember is take it slow and build up the speed...I can't count how many people I have seen think they are schumi out there the first lap only to lose it. If you take it slow and ramp up you have nothing to worry about with the car on the track in terms of damaging it. No one will hit you any more than if you were driving on the highway.

Enjoy it man!