New Battery | FerrariChat

New Battery

Discussion in '348/355' started by gcthree, Aug 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    My car has been awfully sluggish in starting- you would get that one slow lunge followed by a healthly crank and it would fire. Prayers and incantations were offered, hoping it wasn't the starter, and as a pre-emptive (read: cheaper) move, I elected to put a new battery in the 355. Went to the local Autozone with the Optima red top that was in the car, and darn if they didn't have an exact replacement in stock! Of course, when the helpful clerk went to the computer to ensure it was the right unit, the word 'Ferrari' was no where to be found. Forgive my car if it has a complex, but the new 34R (with 800 cold cranking amps) purchased is registered under my Mazdaspeed6 commuter car.

Once placed back in the binnacle and all tidied-up, the car positively roared to life on the first spirited crank.

Of course, while the wheel was off, the Simple Green went to work cleaning-up under the wheel well.

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    That's what I like to hear!!!!! Clean it up Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Had an Interstate in mine that wasn't holding a charge. I also opted for the Red Top. Gotta love sealed Gel cell batteries.
    No fluid worries. Expensive but worth the extra peace of mind.

Steve

4. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Remind me: what isn't expensive with a Fazza?

5. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
  6. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
  7. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Any certain part # for this battery or just a Group 34 red top?

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #8 f355spider, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    Any group 34 should fit in a 355. The spec is a 34R with the terminals reversed, but the cables are long enough to reach, so no problem. I too recommend the Sears Platinum, it was again, top rated by Consumers Reports last month, second time in a year. Four year free replacement warranty, and AGM construction like the Optima, so no risk of leaking acid.

Comparing the Optima red top to the Sears Platinum in CR, both rated high in useful life and Cold Cranking Amps, but the Sears won out with higher reserve capacity, and the one year longer free replacement warranty. Sears overall performance score was 91, Optima 76. The Platinum is also sold at Kmart (which is now owned by Sears) so maybe the price might be better? ;)

9. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    No Kmarts around here...

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #10 UConn Husky, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #11 bcwawright, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    Jay, that looks great. Did you compare the weight difference between the Sears and the Optima??

12. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nope...it's not good so I didn't want to look too close ;) No question, the Sears Platinum P1 is a heavy battery. I'm sure weights are posted online somewhere...I didn't mind the extra 5 lbs. or whatever it is for more CCA, especially with the F1 where the pump pressurizes the system before you even try to start it.

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Hopefully Sears has one in stock, if so my car will look like that tomorrow

14. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I was talking about the battery not the car...LOL

That makes alot of sense being an F1 in the cold climate up there.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Stock battery weighs around 40lbs, Optima redtop 39lbs, Sears Platinum AGM 53lbs. There is no "free lunch" more power, generally equates to more lead plates, which means more weight.

It really doesn't equate to much, we think nothing of stuffing 40lbs of aftermarket stereo equipment, a 15lb halon fire extingisher, and then a significant other....me? No aftermaket stereo, I ditched the tool kit (who am I fooling, and I have AAA plus ;) ) and I got a lighter girlfriend... :)

16. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    f355spider has it right. The optima is a better battery cause it weigh's half a kid less than the platnium. Back when I had the 348 I looked all over the earth to find one that was actually reliable and you couldn't beat the red top if you wanted to keep the weight of the car down...of course if you got a huge stereo or just use the car to cruise I am sure the 14 extra pounds isnt going to hurt ya.

17. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #17 bcwawright, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
    Thanks Dave. Right now I would kill to save 14lbs!!!!!

Since my climate is not severly cold I can pass-up the CCA but even then the lighter 39lb Optima is still too heavy. Having nothing but the bare essentials for engine electronics and lighting I'll be looking for something much lighter.....

Now let's see...how many AAA Energizer batteries will it take to light-off that starter, guess I can always park on a hill and bump start...lol

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Has any 348/355 owner tried the Odyssey 925 battery? It would be a bunch lighter than the aforementioned batteries. I have an Interstate battery in my car currently and am happy with it.

19. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #19 285ferrari, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
    Well hopefully my week continues with good deals. Went to 2 Sears stores and no luck with finding the Diehard Platinum 34 battery, which sells for $189. So went to Autozone to look for the Optima redtop 34 battery. It normally listed for $189 also. It was marked down to $181. Then there is a $13 core exchange. So that brought it down to $168. Then I noticed a rebate flyer that said $25 off any Optima battery. The cashier rung me up and showed me the rebate form which had expired on Sept. 30. I told the cashier the flyer was still up near the batteries. She called over a manager who went ahead and gave me the $25 off. So I walked out of there with a brand new build stamp of 10/2008 battery for $143!!! WOO-HOO

The manager promptly removed the rebate flyer near the batteres as I was leaving

20. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    If you want light get this. http://www.voltphreaks.com/ I run a 2lb one in my F1000 and I know they make great stuff for regular race cars as well.

21. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks John....

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sam,
    The Sears Platinum is made by the same manufacturer. The Sears Platninum is identical to a PC1500! Check the specs, photo and dimensions, the only difference is the color of the plastic case.

Yes, you can use a smaller 925, but it only truly has 380 CCA as a comparison. Some will argue that AGM batteries can kick out signicant cranking amps for short bursts, which is probably fine for 90% of situations, but if the car is out of tune, or very cold weather, or some other unforseen problem, could leave you stranded, as you are probably running right at the ragged edge. I'd rather have extra, than "just enough". ;)

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

BTW, the Sears Platinum weight spec may be a "shipping weight" and the actual weight may be 49lbs, which is the spec on the Odyssey Battery web page for the PC1500 which is identical.

24. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Robbie, I'm going to try and give you a visual of what you had before your trip to autozone.

Having your petite girlfriend as a passenger and that old battery was equal to what is pictured in post #63 of this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215531&page=4

Now that you've got a lighter weight battery you can ditch your lightweight girlfriend and persue the "fat chick" you've been desiring.....

All because of that $25 off coupon your fantasy can now become reality.....thanks AutoZone!!!!!!!!!

25. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey the big girls need lovin also, just not from me!!! HAHAHAHAH