my 69' triple black vette convertble | FerrariChat

my 69' triple black vette convertble

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by allen, Oct 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allen

allen Karting

Apr 20, 2005
  2. Hemiragtop

Hemiragtop Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Very nice, you can't go wrong with triple black.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm really begining to regret trading my 1 owner Malboro maroon/BLK/BLK 350/300 69 auto for the non-running Lotus Esprit I have in my garage....!

Car looks good from the exterior, just needs the correct exhaust tips.

Nice car.

4. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Very cool

5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Very nice. I had your car's twin some years ago. Love that motor. I also had a 370 HP 1970 LT-1 roadster. Dad had a 71 tripple black base motor roadster. I guess it runs in the family!

6. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    #6 Jeff328, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice '69!

Back in the day (when I was 19!) I had a '69 coupe with the 350hp small block and 4-speed. It was a quick car. Bought it for $6800, drove it for 3 years, sold it for $6800.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Nice looking black 1969 there! Those C3 cars were a nice size; not too wide and a great view sitting behind those swept up front fender peaks. I wish I could find my 1968 427 coupe...
    CH

8. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    NAssssssty. Can you get a passenger's side mirror for it? Bet you bust windows startin' that thang.

9. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sweet!
    A friend in HS had a '70 LT1 M22 triple black. Between his Vette and my Nova SS we were the scourge of the 5.0 boys in the parking lot after school! :D
    Unfortunately he backed it into a railing after a nasty hydroplaning incident. :(

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Looks stunning, one of the truly iconic American cars, that shape is timeless!

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IIRC, they didn't start passenger side mirrors until the mid 70's

12. aquavette

aquavette Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    Euless, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Passenger side mirrors were a dealer installed option.
    None left the factory with them.

13. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Really?? They look so much better with two mirrors - I always wondered about that...

14. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #14 John B, Feb 4, 2009
    Love the triple black C3's!!
    I came across a '68 427/435 convertible that was kind of ratty. I determined it was originally triple black, bought it and brought it back to its former glory.

Ended up selling the '68 to a friend because along the way I found a beautiful '67 427/435 Roadster. Numbers matching, original motor, full documentation, top flight...

Old Vettes are wonderful cars!
    Nothing beats cruising around on a nice sunny day with one hand on the wheel & the other arm over the door, exhaust rumbling...

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Awesome 68! Do you have any more photos? I'm just starting a frame off on the same car. 390hp though...
    Kevin

16. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Oops, I thought it would be better tp repost this seperately as I added on to it but then could not delete my original post.
    Sorry for the duplication...

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Just look at that quality control GM had in the old days. The front door gap is about 3/4" wide and the rear is about an 1/8".....

I used to own a 1 owner 69 convert, and the door would scrape in the back, but you could drive a truck through the front gap. Yet on some level, that is what they were when they left the factory and that is why we love them.

I'm looking to get my 66 repainted, and the guy I had come and look at it said...."well we can for sure take out those waves here, and fix the bulge there, and...etc" IMO, that is the way that they came and that is the way that they should remain.

18. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Ha! Don't forget how the hood and flip-up headlights fit. Not to mention the vacuum-operated cowl cover over the windshield wipers. That sucker would pop up and down every time you went WOT.

But damn! What a ride.

19. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yeah, the battle between the cowl cover and the wipers was always one to bet on...who's going to win

This is the god's honest truth....

I was comming back from a qualifying tournament for some some state level golf event like 15 years ago. I had to pull over, put on the rain suit I use for palying golf in the wet and a towel on the dash to try and soak up the water comming in through the leading edge of the convrt top and the windsheild. The wipers didn't work and I drove 2 hours home on the highway...only good thing was that the faster I went, the better I could see...=)

20. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #20 hotrod406, Feb 6, 2009
    That stuff works fine if the 17 miles of vacuum hose and 4 actuators don't leak;) Mine work fine and I can even put the headlights down after I shut the car off.

I attached a couple pics of a MI to CO trip with some family members. My Dad's 72 LT-1 is sadly missing, Mom couldn't get off work. The last pic is a little reminder to me to protect all wires even if you don't think they are touching anything. I had an alternator wire rub on the frame and almost start a fire. Oops.

Yes, that's me in the orange hat and the skinny white legs under the hood.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's a long shot, but I have a family member selling a non-numbers matching '68 Convertible. For some reason, I can't get him to sell it to me, but he's asking nothing for it.

I am trying to work him - any suggestions?? :)

22. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    those are some smokin vettes! my favorite years were 68-72 convertible.. 427 engine would be the cherry on top

23. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    He won't sell it to you because?

1) you're too young/irresponsible to have that car.
    2) Other?

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, I am 40, so I hope I am old / responsible enough!

I can't really tell why he won't sell it. It may be that it's in worse shape than he's leading on, or maybe he just doesn't want to see it anymore (e.g., when he comes over, he'll always know it was once his).

Can't really tell - my wife and I are perplexed by it.