Group Buy for 355 Spider Fire Extinguisher Bracket | FerrariChat

Group Buy for 355 Spider Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Discussion in '348/355' started by Oengus, Oct 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Looks like we need 10 total to keep the price at $90
    We have 2 already...

here is Scotts email to me regarding the fire extinguisher bracket for 355 spiders.

So lets get8 more names rounded up and we will be good to go.

As promised, here is John's e-mail reply:

Hi Scott,

"Yes, your assumptions on the bracket are correct It was specifically designed for the 355 Spiders top retraction and coordinated seat movement, a bracket which moves with the seat is a must in this application.

If the build quantity is significant, I will need to have them re-quoted, as I've not had them manufactured for nearly a year, but using a build quantity of 10 pcs it's fairly safe to assume a $90 price as long as we have more than 10 pcs. If you somehow end up with 20 or more, I'll go out for a better price."

Talk soon

J

These brackets are made from aluminum and are black powder-coated. So, F355 Spider owners, if you want a nice FE bracket that will actually work with your seats, get together for a "group buy".
    ________

2. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Count me for one. Also can you supply a picture of where and how exactly it is installed?

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Ok 3 down 7 to go.....

4. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will e-mail John to see if he has, or will take, a picture(s). Similarly, I will ask him to send me any instructions which he provides with the brackets. I believe that Robbie modified one of John's bracket to work in his Berlinetta (as John stated can be done). I think he'll testify to the overall quality of the bracket. I can also ask John about powder-coating in colors other than black, and if it will incur an extra charge, if anyone is interested.

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes, I modified one to fit my GTB. Very nice quality and great looks. The only disadvantage to mounting one in a GTB or GTS is the seat will not be able to move any longer, you have to use the seatrail bolts to make fit correctly in the GTB/GTS. I set my passenger seat back as far as possible before mounting it and it looks great.

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  7. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The one I got from him was black powdercoated also..

9. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 saw1998, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
    Sorry, I looked at the wrong post number. Duh!!

10. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am the number 2 buyer but thought I would post my confirmed intent to buy in here for consistency and to get it back out front looking for the next 7.

11. Smyrna355Spider

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Eitan, I am glad to see you in this. Don't know if you read my other post but you caused me to need this mount because I looked at the link you posted and had to buy that chrome extinguisher. So I will soon have complete overkill of fire surpression!!!!!!!

12. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I actualy used velcro in back of the bracket that comes with this fire extinguisher and installed it on the carpet behind the driver seat shelf. I got an industrial grade type velcro that works very well on carpet. In case of emergency all you need to do is pull the driver side boot button behind you and remove the fire extinguisher. It is a little slower then reaching the passenger chair and removing it, but I like the location behind me better. I'm still going to get the passenger chair bracket just in case I change my mind.

13. Smyrna355Spider

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #13 Smyrna355Spider, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
    Never thought to put it there but that extinguisher looks to good to hide. Just kidding earlier, I am glad you showed the link. If I ever need an extinguisher I'll use the halon next to the passenger seat. I'll keep the chrome one visible with the seat mount but hopefully I won't need to use either one.

Regardless, come on gentlemen we need atleast 7 more purchases!!!!!!

14. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Eitan:

The probability of Velcro, even industrial grade, holding in an accident is minimal. The FE and bracket will come loose and become a projectile. Remember, F= ma, so think of the potential energy inherent in a 6+ pound FE unit being accelerated forward at, e.g., 35-40 mph, and that hitting you or your passenger. Not pretty!

Best,

Scott

15. CCentore

CCentore Rookie

Sep 16, 2004
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Charlie C
    #15 CCentore, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys,

I just caught part of this thread about using an aluminum powder coated bracket to mount your FE onto. I found a much simpler solution that let's you move the seat as it originally did and requires no modification to your car. It mounts directly onto the seat lever and provides easy access and plenty of room in the passenger footwell. I think the one off cost was around $120.00 a few years ago. I have some pictures which show how it works.

Drive fast,

Chuck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

#16 Oengus, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008

My 355 spider doesnt have levelers....

17. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    The F355 Spider doesn't have lever adjustment.

18. Smyrna355Spider

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well Chas, what are our options if we don't get the 10 buyers? Let me know if you can what the cost will be because I really want the bracket. I received my extra extinguisher today and it looks great. Anyway I hope we can get them even if 10 don't confirm to buy!!!

19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Scott

NJB (in Columbus) has a great leather guy.
    I mentioned to him about possibly making a leather sleeve much like the 360 factory extinguisher (I think).
    I will follow up with him tomorow and advise.

20. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey Guys:

I've been away. Remember, I don't think we have to have 10 people to purchase the brackets. The price may be a little higher, but NBD. Just let me know.

21. Smyrna355Spider

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey did this just die out! I am still interested in the bracket mount if it is available!!

22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

DED

I just wrapped mine in matching tan leather and mounted it between the passenger seat and passenger door.

I think Scott has an ebay source for the spider brackets for about $90 or so.

Shoot him a PM

23. CT 328 GTS

CT 328 GTS Karting

Jan 31, 2006
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does anyone have a picture or description of what was going to be built? Did anyone ever manufacture one?

24. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but if my car goes up in flames, I'm letting her burn. Better to have ashes and a check for the total value of the car then fix a fire damaged Ferrari...

Just my opinion...