Need help on identifying this vintage Ferrari | FerrariChat

Need help on identifying this vintage Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by RXMR7, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RXMR7

RXMR7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Marc
  2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Looks like a heavily modded 250 GTE 2+2; seems early series from the tail lights.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This car was discussed on Tom Yang's site last month. It was definitely a 250 GTE at one time and is apparently now being offered for sale for $10,000. Kare Pietilä suggested that it might be (ex-Ed Niles) s/n 4063GT, which was advertised for sale in the LA times back in April of 1991 by Frank Wilson with the description, "considering parting out, Cadillac V-8, transmission and some butchering to bodywork."

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Wayne I knew you would have some Idea. I looked at it and had NO clue

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "butcher" is the word I would use.

poor car.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Someone in General Discussion suggested this car may be in Oregon. If so, I apologize on behalf of the State of Oregon and all Oregonians.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    With all the Ferrari buffs around that have no car themselves, I can't believe that somebody doesn't go buy that car and start having some fun. Make the guy an offer, or I'll have to track him down and buy it. I can see it with a small block Chevy with early Rochester fuel injection under the hood. At least it wouldn't continue to be a racoon motel or a buffet for the tin worms.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Screw the Chevy motor, stick with Ferrari... Drop a carb 308 motor in there!

Seriously. Wouldn't be too difficult (even at a reasonable cost) to fab up an adapter plate to fit the 308 motor to a suitable tranny... Whoever would buy that car would have the ability/facility to do such work.

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes Wayne, this could very well be 4063GT. Cannot find any other car in my data that would fit the description even remotely. 4063GT was also reported to have a "GTO nose and hood scoop". I think the GTO-inspired fender vents may very well be enough to explain the description. 4063GT is a very late series 2 car, so 3-piece tail lights also fit into picture.

Note also that 4063GT has sometimes been confused with 4603GT. 4603GT is, however, a honest older restoration with all correct parts and features.

I still think this piece-of-**** would make a perfect ride for the Friday night burn out parties.

Best wishes, Kare