1977 Porsche 924 being converted into an 82 Carrera GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1977 Porsche 924 being converted into an 82 Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 62 250 GTO, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    This car has a porsche technic mod to the engine management upps power to 380bhp and torque to 375lb/ft, very quick esp with the manual, as 80% of the max torque is there by 1800rpm.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Nice! Speed much? Or are you the guy driving the speed limit while 400 cars pull up beside you trying to race you?

3. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Both I guess, plenty of jazzed up cars look for a race, esp the japanese ones, but I have used the performance a few times, wont say how fast,

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Uh OH!!!

5. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    #31 luke9583, Feb 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Nice car. Do you keep up on the service?

7. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
  8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't know of a better deal than a well kept 944. Painted red of course.

9. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    #35 groovzilla, Feb 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Having one of the older Porsches or Ferrari' is so fun. The newer cars you can track and beat up, but the older ones have little ways of closing the doors, starting the motor and even winding down the windows! They are so much fun! Do you drive it often? How many miles?

11. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

I dont know. Everybody and their sister has a red 944

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I didn't mention how many there are. I meant the price vs. fun ratio.

13. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    this silver '59 356A happens to be a really straight, rust free bondo free car that was never hit...front end is all metal which is very rare on these older 356's...most have bondo, rust or are basically falling apart from years of neglect..i've got 3 356's and this is my favorite...the year i was born has something to do with it...also the last year of the A body style..

the market has made these cars quite valuable now especially the cars that are nice..

i've been into these 356's for a long time...the silver/red interior is a beautiful combo...i'll attach a photo of the original interior...still really clean with some minor seam seperations..

glad you appreciate it!!

regards,
    william ceriale seattle, wa.

14. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    file of interior is too large for this post...

william

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Beautiful car.
    I am a big 356 fan (and all air cooled 4cyl Porsches), and my 356/550/904 library is only exceeded by my Ferrari library. Would love to get a straight A or B coupe. To me, the appreciation of the Porsche 356 is the litmus test of a true sportscar enthusiast.
    Beautiful car.

16. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Groovzilla,

Beautifully stunning car!! I have been into the 356 for many years. None of my friends understand the obsession. Growing up in the 90s, they all love Ferraris and Lambos. I do too, but the 356 has a special place in my heart.

I did not know you were in seattle. I live in LA/SF and all last commuted to seattle pretty much every weekend! Never saw a nice 356 out there.

Congrats again. The car is certainly a dream of mine. Would be great to get a huge picture of your car for my garage, I could frame it!

17. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    guys,

really great to hear how much my 356A is appreciated...

...the only similar aspect of my 308 to the 356A are the weber carbs...one of the reasons i wanted a '79 carb car was for the purity of the early ferrari...

the deco design of these early 356's is such an artform and there is something about the car in silver that really makes it stand out...

they are so simple and so willing to travel long distances...i have taken several trips to southern california in this 356A...they get 35mpg on the highway trips and they are workhorses...only problem i've ever encountered is running hot going up the siskous during the 100 degree weather one summer...had to rest on the side of the road for 30 min...if you pop open and drive with the engine lid open it helps..

i don't trust my 308 on long trips...there are just too many moving parts and the car is way too finiky..someday i may get the balls to drive to california but it will probably take too much vodka..

william

18. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    William, that is one sweet car.

There is a guy in my town with one in a state of disrepair sitting next to his auto repair shop. It has been sitting for quite sometime and I really want to buy it from him. He just will not sell it.

Neil, I too am into 924/944's. I used to have a 944S and am in negotiations for 2 944's. I love the Carrera GT body.

Where did you get it?

I have been looking for one for a while, but my supplier folded.

I am thinking about customizing one of the 944's. I was thinking: red paint with Carrera GT body and a breadvan style rear.

I know a guy who replaces the rear hatch with a breadvan style rear. It is fully reversible.

I was thinking about selling it to DES/NNO. We could work something out I am sure.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My body was fitted in 1987 by a man in Germany. Then in 1992 it was sold to a man in Zürich. Uli is German and his english is about as good as my french so it's very hard to get info from him. {I was lucky enough to find him} He also likes to leave emails sitting for 6 months then he will reply! There are a few {very few places that sell quality material} and some panels need a ton of work to install them correctly. I'll get you some sites. www.gt-racing.com comes to mind off hand but their weight measurment are off on some items. {I think they try to make it look like a better deal {weight wise than it really is. Although you should save a bunch by going to fiberglass and even more with carbonfiber.

20. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    http://www.allporscheracing.com/BodyK.html
    www.gt-racing.com

molding a complete body in sections
    http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page11.html

this one is begining to end,making a mold,and then using the mold to cast parts of a unusual costume,but there is alot of pics and details,lays out the process fairly well.
    http://www.bioweapons.com/images/CELS/HowTo.htm

text article on fiberglass
    http://www.fgci.com/howto/ht003fiberglass_mold.html

this is SKETCH MODELING using cheap materials to lay out a concept,or design to get a fix on the dementions and details.
    http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/SketchModelling/1-examples.html

a bunch of how to articles on various topics
    http://composite.about.com/cs/howtos/index.htm

I'm not sure how many are still active.

I'll get more.

21. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    What do you think of IFC?

They seem to have what I am looking for... of course I would be spending 3x more on a bodykit than I am for the cars.

Jacquemond is my supplier for the breadvan rear... or they were. I do not see it on their site any more.

22. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I haven't had any dealings with them but here is a link you can look at.
    This guy has purchased a kit from them and he seems pretty happy. I have chatted with this guy for almost a year and he seems like he knows what he's doing. He is handy and has done extensive mods to his car. I'm not sure if it was all related to the kit though. I'm sure he would return an email from you.
    As for spending 3x the price of the car... I paid $7,500 for my 924, don't feel too bad.

23. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I didn't post the link.
    www.alexroy.net