355 flywheel | FerrariChat

355 flywheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lotusk, Nov 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    can someone explain to me why the flywheel on my 355 is so complicated....my lotus just had a circular piece of iron bolted onto the crankshaft......but the 355's has springs inside and is packed with a specific amount of a specific grease...........what is this all about and is it necessary to service the flywheel by taking it apart and renewing the grease? My 355 is 13 years old now and has done 53000 miles and the clutch is about to be replaced.......should I bother with the flywheel or just leave it as is?..it it's not broke, don't fix it?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Well, I did my clutch back in 2005 and I didnt touch my flywheel. My car has 22,000 miles and I havent had any flyhwheel issues. :):)

Your call man?? ;);)

3. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    thanks but you failed to explain the way the flywheel operates

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Some guys get into them (there are several threads here devoted to it) many others never have to. I've done a few clutches, never had one apart.

It is a peculiarly complicated device considering that most cars simply have a steel disc.

There was even one thread here (Fatbillybob's I think) that involved converting it to a rigid flywheel. Not sure how that turned out.

5. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    what is it about the flywheel that it has to be so complicated and how does this help the engine..............do F1 engines have this type of flywheel ..what is the disadvantage of a solid steel disc??

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yup that was me. The solid FW worked perfectly over many race seasons. Dual mass is to reduce harmonic vibrations that are either disturbing to drivers of streetcars or damaging to the engine itself. IMO ferrari did the duall mass for comfort. I proved in one datapoint at least that the engine was not going to come unglued due to harmonics. I also ran my car alot near redline as my car was full race never on street. I also ran several versions of open pipes and challenge exhausts so my car was loud. If the harmonics were disturbing I would never know because I was listening to the sweet sound of uncorked flat crank ferrari V8.

7. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Problem is we run our race cars in a narrow RPM band over a very limited mileage situation and tear the engines down frequently. That is not the case with a road going car. In a weekend they can see what it takes us numerous seasons of track use to duplicate. All of that said, the 360 design seems to support your statements.

The 355 has a simple pulley on the front of the crankshaft where most cars have a vibration damper consisting of a heavy weight mounted on a elastic rubber disc. That damper is there to counter harmonic vibrations the engine generates throughout the RPM range. It is a fairly crude device and really only works in a narrow RPM range where as the Dual Mass flywheel on the 348 and 355 is a "fluid unit" with many sliding weights and the weight of the grease itself. A Fluid type unit works in a far wider RPM range and is far more accurate than the old harmonic balancers on the front of the crankshaft.

The most common cause of failure is when the triple seals fail and gear oil dilutes the grease in the flywheel leading to a slimy leaking mess. I replace the triple seals when ever the bellhousing comes off as they are cheap and good insurance.

If it is leaking, rebuild it quickly before it goes dry and melts the plastic parts. On the 355's, if they show a very loud "Death Rattle" (coined the phrase when we first heard a failed unit on the 348's) when the engine is shut off, that might be the right time to service it. They all make the noise when the key is shut off as the flywheel is trying to balance out a major change from idle to shut down. Before jumping to tearing it apart compare yours with others regarding sound and pull the plugs and see if the grease is still white. Dark gray grease says there is gear lube contamination already.

This job is not for everyone. I recently had one apart that showed 2 previous failed attempts at rebuilding and it took a long time to correct what was done wrong in the previous attempts. If you don't have the proper tools, leave it to someone that does.

Dave

8. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    thanku Dave for that wonderfull post............you are just about the only tech whose words I really trust

9. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Really? Just about the only one you say?? There are many great consultants/advisers on this forum mate. And they have just read that:D

10. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    mate?
    mate

11. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Yep i am also a Englishman......pal:D

12. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3