The Live on a Boat Thread | FerrariChat

The Live on a Boat Thread

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by snj5, Oct 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As I am studying up on my possible move to a 40 - 50 foot sail boat in 2010 or 2011, I wanted have one place to put some questions to you august group of old salts.

Couple of probably silly questions to start:

1. Air conditioning/heating -- I've seen some boats come with an airconditioner, and have also been told wooden boats do not tolerate airconditioners well. Have not seen any real central heating outside of some funky looking stove doofers that do not look like they would stand up to a Chesapeake winter. I hear an air conditioner is about $6000 if you do it yourself or $10K if you hire it out. What has been your experiences with heating and airconditioning on live aboards?

2. Washing maschine - I've heard just go to the laundromat but what a PITA. Are there smaller clothes washer/dryers for a boat, or is it just a washer and hang the clothes from the yard arm?

Any and all advice appreciated greatly on these or any other liveaboard issues. Assume I know nothing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    if you're contemplating living on a wooden boat don't worry about heating and cooling needs. just hook up to the yards' power where the boat is on blocks while it's out of the water while you're working on it and use regular home electric appliances. i spent some time on a beautiful dickerson. the boat spent 5 to 6 moths a year being caulked and scraped and painted and cleaned and engine worked on and pumps repaired and rigging maintained; oh did i mentioned painted. there are some nice plastic boats available. myself, i prefer steel. still needs maintenance but is more durable. coral is very hard and sharp and there is a lot of junk floating around out there on the big blue. mostly the same generator set up as on a rv will supply your power needs.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Check out the Seafaring magazine for some ins and outs of living aboard...

4. SURF

SURF Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    North Hampton,NH.
    In less you are in love with wooden boats I would go with a composite hull. I have a lot of experience with this a would be better to chat about it if you like. If so send me a pm.

Surf

5. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Russ:

don't even think about a 50' wooden boat. I had a 44', and it took two people to keep it in shape, full time. Absolute money sink. Get a plastic boat, without any wood on it, and you've got something you can really sail. The person who invented wooden boats needs to be shot.

Art

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #7 tritone, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
    no art; you need to be shot for saying something so oafish.......

Tritone

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    With what? A crossbow?

I'm pretty sure he died before gunpowder was invented.

The oldest boats to be found by archaeological excavation are logboats from around 7000-9,000 years ago.

Maybe a spear or slingshot did him in!

Just sayin'.

9. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    It was actually suicide with a slingshot. They found him with a bloody pile of rocks on one side and a fresh pile of unused rocks on the other side.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Have you been on a 40-50ft sail boat. total storage will be about what you can fit in a honda accord. I'm not kidding. remember when you went to college... trunk full, back seat / passenger seat full... that's it... think long and hard if you can live like that...

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think this is a good point, and actually for me somewhat of a plus. The idea of downsizing has a lot of appeal right now, as I don't use much of what I have accumulated.

As far as the wood vs composite vs steel thing, there are apparantly some new technologies that improve wooden boats, but there is an understood up front commitment to more maintenence. I am talking to a couple of yards about building a new boat (i.e. Westernman) or a complete re-fit of an older boat. There are some really nice GRP/fiberglass ships out there as well, looking at a Vagabond 47' or a Martin Heard St. Malo cutter. It's still about a year or so away when I would like to do this, so still lots of time to look around and learn.
    All opinions welcome!

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner