singlehanding a larger sailboat | FerrariChat

singlehanding a larger sailboat

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by snj5, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am a new sailor and am looking at buying a boat as a liveaboard for 2. One of the considerations is, in general, how big and what type of boat could still be short or singlehanded? While I know many have been set up for that, it seems that a single mast and 2 - 3 sails seems optimal in around a 40 foot boat.
    I'm all ears on what you good folks have seen, and am asking everyone I know before I jump into this.
    Many thanks

2. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
  3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Fun discussion; from that it looks like the average recommendation is around 35 - 40 feet.

4. SURF

SURF Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    North Hampton,NH.
    I Am a Yacht broker on the east coast and have a lot of experience with this. PM me if you would like to chat.

Surf

5. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #5 Attitude928, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #6 Murph, Nov 15, 2008
  7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #7 snj5, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    I've learned that a lot depends what you are going to be doing with it. I am not planning on any crossings or trips to Trinidad, rather more a liveaboard and coastal use, primarily in the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake can get relatively shallow in places, so something to consider. Although I'm told full keel boats are very comfortable and stable (good for living aboard), they can be a handful singlehand maneuvering in a marina. Someone else suggested to be sure and get a used boat that someone else has already set up for singlehanding, as they have probably figured out the best combination of rigging to do it.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #8 Simon^2, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    I've single handed boats up to 59'. at that size the boat better be set up appropriately (electric / hydraulic winches). roller furling main and jibs. would never advise it! personally, I love 44-46 footers. roomy enough but still managable. plenty comfortable for offshore trips ( through the delaware bay to martha's vineyard / nantucket, or out to bermuda)

the real issue is getting in and out of slips and harbours. docking any sailboaout in a slip solo is an adventure. above 40' in anysort of crosswind it is terrifying. thrusters help a lot.

grew up in annapolis, so very familiar with the bay. if you're planning on cruising the bay, you want a full (cruising) keel or a centerboard. lots of nice places you'll want to go with 6' depth...

9. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #9 Attitude928, Nov 16, 2008
  10. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    These are really sweet boats. Is the trailering to sailing time really only 30 minutes? Do you sail these in area lakes or are you salt water only sailing yours? I have sailed primarily fresh water, with a little island sailing in Greece on a Beneteau 37, although my wife and I sailed my company owner's 48' Hans Christian one time in Galveston Bay on an extremely gusty day. In our 50's now and retired, this looks like a lot of fun.

I really like the idea of leaving my sailing experiences with my boat in tow, and I love multihulls. I have a single axle Ford F-250 4WD diesel, so pulling the 28-31'er is probably no problem. Having 2-4 guests is my max....is the 28 footer the boat for day sailing here? What say you on center vs rear cockpit for day sailing....with a rare overnighter.

Thanks for your help.

AXE

11. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #11 Attitude928, Nov 17, 2008
    I day sail my F31 out of Dead Horse Bay in Brooklyn, into Rockaway Inlet, Lower New York Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. It pretty much always blows 15-20 mph here, so it is great sailing. I regularly sail at 12-18 knots per hour despite the fact that my main sail is cut down a bit. The F31 is a perfect size. I had an F27 but sometimes the waves caused it to get too hairy. I did achieve 22.7 knots on my F27. My F31 is a rear cockpit. It can be singlehanded...When coming about, I control the tiller with my legs while winching in the jib. I've never sailed a center cockpit F31. The F31 is great. I single hand it 70% of the time. Otherwise I usually have 4 adults & 5 kids onboard. I like sleeping in my own bed, but plenty people coastal cruise them (as long as you keep things light). The Corsairs are sailed on inland lakes, but usually I'm either racing my sunfish or iceboats on soft or hard freshwater.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Once...in a dream.

13. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

OK...I was really amazed at that claim on their website.