Gun purchase | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Gun purchase

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FIA Stewart, Oct 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I too prefer the use of a shotgun for home defense. I have a variety of handguns, rifles, and assault rifles and would not consider using them for several reasons. The first is my wife does not feel comfortable with using one of them. A shotgun is much easier for her to use in case something happens when I am not home. And for me its a Mossberg 20 gauge pump. This was the first gun I ever purchased and I have had it for 20 years. The 12 gauge is fine for me but too much for her. And if you confront someone in a hallway, you dont need to aim as the shot pattern will cover the hallway. She also prefers the safety mechanism of the shootgun, its easier than what is on my handguns. Plus its easier for her to chamber a shootgun shell and harder on a handgun.

2. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    #52 101010, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I accidentally posted a picture of the longer model. I'll be getting the short barrel 5-shot 'Persuader' as it is much easier to move around inside.

The top one is what I'm getting, with a M-3 Tactical light under the barrel.

The first two shells will be birdshot, which I should hope would stop most intruders, but if they're too cracked out on meth, PCP, etc. the last three will be buckshot.

I won't use slugs because those are too likely to fly through a wall. No spread either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Contact your local chapter of the NRA.. I am a card carrying member myself, have been for 26 years... They can set you up with lessons, allow you to try several weapons so you can find something you are comfortable with, and you can also get discounts through them on guns and ammunition...

http://www.nra.org

4. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    #54 GrndLkNatv, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    I think that depends on how you define accuracy... If you are a Marine Sniper the AR is something you would use as a door stop...

If you are an NRA member you will remember this trophy and this guy..

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nat-trophy/tro-073.pdf

Farr showed up without a rifle, borrowed one with open sites and the proceded to hit 70 bullseyes at 1000 yards with open sites... He was 71 years old at the time... Afterward the other competitors took money out of their pockets and bought him that borrowed rifle.

5. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
  6. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
  7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The Judge seems to be a lot of hype, the .410 isn't exactly optimal with such a short barrel.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    whats the benefit of the pistol grip ?

whats the front vertical attachment called ?

Thanks

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The primary purpose of a pistol grip only shotgun is that it allows you to miss the target entirely. Unless you practice with the thing a lot it's not a particularly natural shooting position and trying to shoot it like an oversize pistol is a good way to get a bloody nose.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    12 gauge with a slug barrel. Go out and blow some tree limbs off! :D:D:D

11. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    LOL! I've heard much the same and given that I'm mainly getting the shotgun for my gf to protect herself when I'm not at home, I can't imagine she'd be able to handle the kick in her little hands rather than firmly against her shoulder.

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    LOL, when I was at the range last week I made the mistake of putting the butt on the top of my bicep

next day I had a bruise about the size of a dollar

but thats why I went to range, to correct my mistakes and learn to shoot better

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    As Mark stated it's not a natural shooting position for most with a pistol grip and practice is needed. One of the primary benefit's of a pistol grip is the shortened length which could be a henderence when the gun is under your bed. Either way regardless of our different opinion's of which is better concerning a stock or pistol grip a shotgun is the best option for home defence.