Taking a week off | FerrariChat

Taking a week off

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by REMIX, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Doing it this week. First time in 13 months. Just shut it all down: no cardio, no lifting, no nothing. Staying on the diet. That extra hour and a half of sleep in the morning is fantastic.

I wonder how overdue this is? Was getting some elbow pain and lifting less weight there for a bit.

What's the consensus on taking a week off of exercise?

RMX

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That extra hour and a half of sleep in the morning is fantastic.

3. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    I like to take 1 week off every 6 months, but I do run after two-three days full rest and re-creation. You will look much fuller after a weeks rest and lift heaver with less exersion.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's definitely necessary to do more often than every 13 months. But I do understand your reasoning behind it. As you've had great success.

I'm doing a sort of week off. I may go today, may not. But will definitely start back on Friday.

I probably average a week off every 2-4 months. I don't have a routine just lose motivation for a week.

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i normally take 1 week off every 5-6 months once. that 1 week, i sleep as much as i can, and cheat. and have fun. most o fthe time, when i return back to lifting after that 1 week break, i'm always stronger.

6. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    I used to work out 5 days a week when I was younger and into it. I found when I went to 3-4 days a week, I got better results faster. I got stronger and size.

Never forget the basics: You grow when you sleep, not when you lift.

I do recall taking extra days off more frequently (every 5-7 weeks) and getting better results.

7. REMIX

This is fabulous. So far so good!

Just resting...hoping next week means some gains.

RMX

8. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    In my 22yrs of training I always took at least 4 to 6 weeks off a year consecutively to let your body rest and recuperate. When starting back up muscle memory takes over and within 2 weeks I am back up to full strength and found that I can gain and shock my muscles to greater weight after a long rest.

9. REMIX

Just got back from the gym 30 min ago. I still have some elbow pain (right side). I also have some pain in my hand between my left thumb and forefinger (actually below my thumb at the second Phalanges). Didn't put any big weight on today.

See how tomorrow goes.

RMX

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What sort of pain?

Looks like my week off last week was stuipd. Probably have to work late all week and won't make it to the gym.

11. REMIX

In the elbow, feels like Tennis Elbow. My thumb, almost like I pulled something (which I probably did). I crack my knuckles a lot and pull on it to crack them sometimes. My guess is that's what did it.

RMX

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Possibly.

Sometimes I get some tingling in my fingers or a nerve that flexes back and forth on my elbow. I work through it and it usually goes away. I think it has to do with gaining size and everything moving a bit.

13. sovereign

sovereign Karting

Aug 25, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Michael K
    I've done a lot of reading about this and muscle growth - and for weight lifting, a week should be taken off once every six months.

14. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Its actually recommend you take a week off after 6-8 months of training. My trainer never broke it down for me on scientific level, but just said its good to rest your muscle for one whole week. I just did it beginning of the year and after one week I came back stronger than I ever was.

15. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I took a week off and it has turned into a month, for the past three weeks ive had bad insomnia. Ive got to get back to it,

16. REMIX

Another week off starting on 3/30 or 4/6. Not sure yet. I am also planning on taking off work that week, too and doing NOTHING.

Can't wait!!!

RMX

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Taking most of, if not all of this week off.

Been going balls to the wall for the last 2 months making sure to get 4 days in a week. Friday I noticed I was feeling really sore and before I left the gym my wrists started to hurt while doing shrugs. And I think I may have a ear infection so I'm going to get that checked out. I may go back on Thursday for cardio only.