Creatine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Creatine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GatorFL, Aug 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    If I am reading this right, I have not found much evidence that would suggest Creatine having negative side effects on the heart if a person is healthy (conditioned in cardio and strength) and eats a lowfat-cholesterol well balanced diet.

Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)

In a few studies of people with congestive heart failure, those who took creatine (in addition to standard medical care) had significant improvement in symptoms and exercise capacity compared to those who received placebo.

Other

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/creatine-000297.htm#Uses

2. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    My cardiologist has strongly suggested that I stop taking creatine. I play hockey, and train very intensly. I started taking it in lower portions just to give a little extra boost to my recovery. I'd been having chest pains and when I went in to see the doc, as soon as I told them I had been taking creatine, they immediatly told me to stop. I too had not heard that it could be harmful to your heart, but the doctor seems to think so...

3. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    The doctor is being speculative. I am not physician(father is) but a doctors role is to "practice" and find the root cause of your problem. I would lean more towards lifestyle that supplements as being the cause of most health related problems. Even if your off creatine it takes 40 days for your body to naturaly utilize it. Good luck keep us posted.

4. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    When I used to be heavy into the gym, I used Creatine. What I remember is, you have to mix it with a drink high in Carbs. I used Hawaiian Punch and it worked fantastic. I also remember that you can only be on it for a short period of time, about a month, and you need to go off it for 2-3 months. Continued use can seriously hurt your liver. I remember doing a month on, 3 off and another month on. Again, this was about 10 or so years ago when it was new to the scene and I remember getting excellent results. I used powder. A spoonful mixed in with a glass of punch.

5. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Just about everyone that I've talked to has told me this. I've been considering getting back into a cycle with it, but have also been considering whey. Pros, cons?

6. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Alright I am more playing devils advocate here then preaching, sorry if it comes off that way.

Its not going to seriously hurt your liver. People say it can seriously hurt your kidneys. Because urine tests will read high in creatinine which is the waste product that comes out in your urine. Usually this means your kidneys aren't functioning properly because your body actually gets creatine naturally being that it is found in meat. If your only recieveing that small amount of creatine and peeing creatinine then doctors would believe your having renal failure. However, in this case it doesn't mean your kidneys are failing it means that your taking in large amounts and your body isn't processing it all. Thats why you really never need to go over 5 grams or so because your gonna piss out the rest anyway. So studies have shown.

So your liver is fine kidneys are fine too but if your worried drink lots of water, which you should be doing anyway. Creatine is going to take a lot of water out of you and you don't want to become dehydrated which is actually probably the only downside to creatine.

After saying all that I still have only used it a couple times, and I drank over a gallon a day and was cautious. I did however do A TON of research as I am not big on putting things into my body I am not familiar with.

Whatever you decide good luck... but creatine isn't necessary.

7. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Take whey whether you take creatine or not as whey is just good protein and the building block of muscle. You can take both at once and or just whey.

WHEY
    Cons: to whey would be dent in the pocket.
    Pros: helps build muscle and can be tasty.

CREATINE
    Cons: drinking lots of water, loss of money... people asking if creatine is a "steroid"
    Pros: quick strength gains

8. George Costanza

Oct 1, 2008
    unless you weigh 270+ then 5 grams of creatine is more than enough
    size on is a great creatinei saw great gains in strength during my cycle
    if you're going to take creatine drink water a TON .

9. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    BIG_DJE has posted his pictures in the progress thread and he's HUGE. I don't know his height, but he certainly looks like he could handle 10 grams.

Also, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. You do not have to cycle creatine. It is not a steroid. You will be perfectly fine if you use it constantly over an extended period of time.

10. Bleu Omdurman

Bleu Omdurman Karting

Dec 3, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    When I was in College (West Point) the crew coach was a sports medicine doctor. He did a study over the course of a few years. His results were convincing enough that the Academy began a creatine program for many of the athletes. I do not remember the specifics but I do remember he agreed with the loading directions but that the regular dosage did not need to be as large as the recommended amount.

I was a Powerlifter in college and I found a marked difference when I was on creatine. It without a doubt aided in recovery. Sleep was seldom an option at the Academy so the help creatine provided was immense. We had very little control over our diet as well.

I hope that addresses both the endurance part of your query and the strength portion.

Best,

Trevor

11. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Any new thoughts on creatine?

I take a protein powder/shake on days that I do not get enough protein. The kid at the muscle shop convinced me to get some creatine, said I would love it. I've been taking it for only a few days and already my muscles seem fuller.

So I hit the 'net and found it is due to water, and found a bunch of warning about kidneys, heart swelling, etc.

Since I just started the heavy part of my cycle I thought I'd keep taking creatine for the next few weeks and see what happens. I'm only taking 2.4g "magnum big C" per day.

I searched here to find an unbiased opinion. Most places on the 'net either sell creatine or hate creatine.

What is the verdict?

12. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I use ON, optimum nutrition, whey and more recently soy protein. The place I get it sells other ON products, mainly glutamine and creatine. They have been telling me I should mix them with my protein but since I don't lift heavy weights I have not tried it. Now there is a new protein shake with the creatine built in called Hydro Build.

If I am doing cardio and a series of weight machines, higher reps with not too heavy of weights will the creatine and glutamine do anything for me.

I use the protein shake to get more protein in my diet and as an easy breakfast not really for weight lifting advantages.

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I do 3-4 weeks on, 8-10 weeks off to allow my body to recover properly from the ill effects.

14. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Don't do it for cardio, it is for putting on mass fast, heavy low rep weights.

It's been 1-2 weeks now and I can say my strength is really going up. I'm adding 5lbs a workout to the big compound movements after being stuck at the same weight for a few workouts before creatine.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you taking mono?

I've taken size-on and green mag. Liked both of them, but thinking about picking up some plain mono to try.

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I have to wonder if the short term gains made on creatine are actually due to the increased caloric intake resulting from drinking the mix, especially if you go through a loading phase. That would add at least 400 calories daily and supply a little bit of fast-burning carbs before a workout. I did notice gains when I took it, but I think you can probably accomplish as much with a few extra calories in any form. Hey, whatever works, I guess!

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm taking Magnum Nutraceuticals Big C pharmaceutical grade creatine blend. It says 5 capsules twice daily on empty stomach but I'm only doing 2 capsules twice daily. My dosage is 2.2g x twice = 4.4g / day which from my google research is plenty. This stuff is hard on kidneys so drink lots of water and don't over do the dosage. I think most packaging dosages are 2x - 5x what should be taken IMHO unless you are really huge.

You will see your muscles swell up the first couple days and workout intensity/pump goes up too. You will have a bloated look so do if now before summer if you decide to do it.

I loved my Magnum Quatro protein powder (mix of whey, milk, micellar casein and egg proteins) so that's why I tried their brand of creatine.

Good luck and google creatine side effects before you start.

18. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I skipped the loading it's brutal on your system. Over 30 days no difference in muscle strength between loading and not.

I hear you on the eating. My friend is telling me not to take it and just eat. He doesn't even do protein shakes he makes his own with yogurt and stuff.

This is an experiment for me because I'm super skinny and want a little boost if possible.

19. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    How about boxing . REAL boxing workout one on one with a trainer in the ring, mitts, bags, jumprope, sparring? Would Creatine benefit me? Or any other suggestions? I'm 43 and would like to just feel STRONGER, FASTER and more effective.

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    "Cocaine is a heluva drug"

If anything, I think creatine would slow you down more than anything else. You want leaner muscle; hi rep, and cardio intensive workouts IMO

22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree creatine is not for that. It is for body building high calorie low/no cardio weight gain. You will get a little gut on creatine. :)

23. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I stopped my cycle of creatine a few weeks ago.

1) immediately I shrunk and lost 10 lbs
    2) strength is the same weights just feel heavier.
    3) bloating is gone
    4) feeling of always being thirsty is gone
    5) I'm not as impressed when I flex my arms in the mirror

I am now doing my program over again without creatine and will report back how the gains compare. I keep a journal of my food, sleep, and workouts every day so it will be easy to compare.

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    armen,
    try:
    1-an isolate protein and healthy n fit aminos one hr b4 boxing.
    2-superpump 250 30 min b4 boxing.
    3-sip on superpump 250 during boxing.
    4-finish with isolate protein and a fast digesting carb immediately after training.
    all available at the vitamin shoppe
    ed

25. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Any product that is a legal other than protein and multivitamins are a waste of money. A fit body is made by lots of time and lots of effort. There are no shortcuts. I've been working out for 15 years and have tried everything. I currently eat clean and supplement with nothing but a multi and I'm in the best shape of my life. (Not the biggest I've ever been but not as bloated and stiff either.)