Bulk by gasoline | FerrariChat

Bulk by gasoline

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by LMPDesigner, Nov 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Just a thought:

With gas going done to below $55/barrel and expectations to go to $40-$45 per barrel before ratcheting back up I was thinking about buying a builk shipment of gas-say 5000 gallons and store it in a rented "storage tank" With 42 gallons per barrel we are looking at about 110 barrels or somewhere in the $4500-$5500 cost. If I consume 25 gallons a week the fuel should last me 200 weeks or 4 years. And in 2-3 years gas should be back to $3-$4 dollars per gallon-so I should make out okay. Need to pay (rent) storage tank, insurance, etc but I wonder if there is any practicality to any of this--just musing on this.

Any thoughts?

2. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I don't think you'll like that gas much in a few months, much less a few years... unless you own a lot of lawnmowers or chainsaws or something...

3. ppatel9

ppatel9 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    What does the price per gallon on bulk shipment come out to? I dont know, seems like much more of a hassle then just going to the gas station and filling up. There's prob. a shipment delivery fee, there's the storage tank fee, electric pump...etc. Plus there might be a restriction on storing that much combustible gasoline in a residential area.....might have to get permits or something.

I'm an investor in the markets for quite some time now and looking at energy sector, yes...price per barrel will increase in the coming months. I would say in the range of $70ish. Due to the upcoming administration, there will be a heavy focus on alternative/renewable energy sources. So with that, I think demand of fossil fuels will decrease over the coming years and thus prices should stay in this range. Thats my analysis on it though. You an investor by any chance?

4. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    I think after one year you will have three years of stale gasoline. That being said I do not think it is a wise investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

Stability
    When gasoline is left for a period of time, gums and varnishes may build up and precipitate in the gasoline, causing "stale fuel." This will cause gums to build up in the fuel tank, lines, and carburetor or fuel injection components making it harder to start the engine. Motor gasoline may be stored up to 60 days in an approved container. If it is to be stored for a longer period of time, a fuel stabilizer may be used. This will extend the life of the fuel to about 1-2 years, and keep it fresh for the next uses. Fuel stabilizer is commonly used for small engines such as lawnmower and tractor engines to promote quicker and more reliable starting. Users have been advised to keep gasoline containers and tanks more than half full and properly capped to reduce air exposure, to avoid storage at high temperatures,[30] to run an engine for ten minutes to circulate the stabilizer through all components prior to storage, and to run the engine at intervals to purge stale fuel from the carburetor.[31]

5. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Yea the age thing worried me too--I was just pondering the thought.....

6. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
  7. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    The $/barrel prices you refer to are for Sweet Crude Oil which needs to be refined.

8. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Can you get 'Sta-Bil' in bulk ? LOL

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    100% correct.

We used to buy 500 gallons at a time and refilled it probably 3-4 times a year. Lots of mowers, tractors, etc.

A 500 gallond tank wouldn't be the worst idea....just buy on the $ down turn every 6 months or so.