Fire in Santa Barbara/Montecito | FerrariChat

Fire in Santa Barbara/Montecito

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by celestialcoop, Nov 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #1 celestialcoop, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
    John Corbani -John
    jonesdds-Jeff
    ctvoigts - Chris
    Way2fast - Sam
    mikeyr - Mike
    Plus all of our other Santa Barbara/Montecito friends!

Here we go again. How are you all doing? From the sounds of it, those who live in the Montecito area may not be on board right now. Immediate evacuations are underway. Winds out of the north at 30-50 sustained with gusts to 70 near the fire directly above Montecito; 15 mph downtown.

I'm not sure, but I believe John lives near Westmont College...which is currently evacuating its students to their gym.

All of Mountain Drive...the northernmost E/W road above the two cities...has been given the order to evac.

Fire has just jumped Mountain Drive & is burning towards Coyote Road.

This fire has been burning for just over an hour and has rapidly grown. According to the local SBA news, there is "grave danger" in the Montecito area.

Two new starts just reported. The embers are blowing southward & are igniting dry brush, trees, foliage. Traffic jams on all roads leaving Montecito.

KEYT Channel 3 has the coverage.

I know we all send our best wishes and prayers for your safety and the protection of your property.

Please check in when you have the opportunity.

Godspeed,
    Coop

MODS: I also posted this in the 206/246 section to get max coverage; we have quite a few Dino owners who live in the Santa Barbara/Montecito area and are well known in both forums.

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Have the Santa Ana's started up that way already? Sounds like it. Get ready for a fun weekend. Good luck to all up that way.

3. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I just turned on KCal 9 that is out of control.

4. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    If the wind will stay this strong - it's gonna be interesting.
    It just spread so ridiculously fast.

5. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    #5 Slim, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
    I lived in Santa Barbara during the Painted Cave fire in 1990 and was out by Goleta when I heard of the fire and I couldn't get through the smoke and flames on the highway to get to my house downtown. I was on a '67 Triumph and thought I was going to melt - have never felt heat like that. Had to turn back and exit the freeway by going up an on ramp. People were totally freaking out trying to get off the freeway.

I hope all of you are able to get to your homes and loved ones and/or evacuate safely.

6. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm in Montecito, but thankfully the fire is going away from me and I'm not evacuated. They keep showing my friends house on the news though, it's gone. Such a tragedy....

7. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Thanks for checking in, Gideon.

'glad to hear that you & yours are OK. 'sorry to hear of your friend's loss.

Stay safe,
    Coop

8. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +rcallahan - Hope you're out of harm's way Bob.

9. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Dang! Sad to hear this. Hope everyone is ok.

10. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Thanks for thinking of me and other Montecito residents Jason. Last night I watched the fire from my house. It was about 2 miles away on Mountain Dr and the wind was carrying the burning embers straight toward the house at about 60 MPH! After about 45 minutes the wind shifted and it look like the fire would go toward down town SB. I thought I could relax and go to bed. Then about 1230 I was awakened to the SB police buzzing the gate and using the loudspeakers to notify everyone on my street that there was an immediate MANDITORY EVACUATION! There were houses on fire within 1/2 mile of the house. I left the Ferrari, loaded up what I could in two other cars and went to a friends house.

I just returned and my house is still here! Yet, the fire is still out of control and it seems to be basically in the same spot as last night. Now I'm hoping that we don't have the Santa Ana winds tonight.

Bob

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Were OK as well, were home now but thinking about spending the night with the in-laws in Carp just so we don't have to be ready to bolt all night. I'm worried this fire's going to do what it did last night tonight. We're lower Rivera by the County bowl. For some reason we were told by an officer about 8:30 last night manditory evac although no reports on TV said that was the case. So we bolted, we were packed up already, and stayed at some good friends house. Calm today but I'm worried about tonight, its right over the next hill. Got the Fcar at our friends, needed it anyway to maximize the packing in the SUV. I was on a temp tire unfortunately as I am refinishing a wheel so Ill have to deal with that hopefully tommorow. Thanks all for your concern, most important thing is everyone's family and loved ones and pets are safe.

Hopefully winds remain calm tonight but I heard Ventura County Santa Ana's to 65 mph. Hopefully no flares ups down south. Be safe everyone involved and good luck.

Jeff

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I hope everyone is alright. I'm praying for you.

Everytime I hear of the fires or quakes I immediately think about fchatters.

God Bless.

13. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Looks good tonight so far, no wind at my home and I could see the moon coming up over the hills unlike yesterday. Hopefully this continues, I ended up staying home.

Jeff

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just got back from a SCUBA trip out of Santa Barbara. We could see two small fire flare ups in the hills last night when we stood on Stearn's Wharf.

This afternoon the air was clear and no visible sign of smoke in SB.
    LA was a different story...

15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No problems up in Santa Maria. Hope everyone in SB is OK.

16. kara

kara Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2007
    Ukraine in dreams/CA
    Full Name:
    Kara, Karalina
    Sorry to hear about your friends house.