Why the famous gated metal shifter? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why the famous gated metal shifter?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by James_Woods, Nov 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I can't say I've ever seen that. But Ferrari road car gearboxes were designed after racecar gearboxes - aligning first and reverse in the same slot (as opposed to aligning first and second) - because second gear was often used in slow/twisty parts of a course/circuit, but first was almost never used. So the idea was to put first in a place where it would only be used deliberately, not accidentally. This tradition carried on through the road cars.

I love the Ferrari gated shifter. I think everything should have a gated shifter. And I mean everything.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Correct.

My P 3/4, 412P and 206S (Dino Competizione) has this feature.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #28 Bryanp, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here is the gated shifter on Series II 500 Mondial 0556(0446)MD. The original lock-out only covered reverse. The shift tower on the lower picture is a standard 750/500 car showing the reverse-only lock out. After 0556(046)MD left the factory, the car came back in and had an extension to the lock-out welded on (circled). The picture below also shows the "foglio montaggio cambio" documenting this change.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Cool pics. thanks,

Kai

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Partly for the same reason, but also for more precision as to where the shifting rod is going.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Gates in race cars should be smaller.

7. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    wow, if my 430 had the gates cut like that it would shift so much faster.

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Yes, transaxle and mid engine seem to be the determinants of a gated shift. My 250 PF, my 212, and my former 250 GTE have booted shifters, while the Dino and the 330 GTC (which has a transaxle, BTW) are gated.

I find gear changes very different in feel, and perhaps even more satisfying, on the booted shift cars. The gated shift looks good and traditional, but the direct feel of the booted stick on the gear mechanism is even more satisfying than the click-click of the gate. Transaxles make you lose part of the "feel" of the gear changes.

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The Testarossa is a gorgeous machine. I would love to own one, one day. :):)

Best Ferrari steering wheels going. ;);)

Thanks Dave, who said I modified it? ;);)

Yeah mate, get that file out and hack away! :p:p

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The only road cars I've seen gated shifters on are Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Have any other road cars used them?

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Just an honorable and honest question - but have you ever looked to see what is underneath that boot?

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My buddy's Pantera has one.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The story I was told was that Ferrari did this to prevent the gear from popping out on the banks at Monza. Given what passes for journalist integrity today, I am going to declare this to be true because, well, I think it should be.

Actually, speaking from a sample size of one, I disagree. One of the joys in driving a Maranello was making a speed shift from 2nd to 3rd. You see, 1st to 2nd simply requires a blip and bang!

Going from 2nd to 3rd is a different story. Imagine this: You are in 2nd at 6,000 rpm. Now try this, lift-clutch in-blip-move the shifter up-over-and pow! You catch 3rd and drop the hammer. You do all this without (1) clanking the gates, and (2) the hood stays perfectly level.

For me, probably because I'm such a bad driver, this took a lot of practice. But when you finally, finally, nail it. Oh man, what a feeling. In a Maranello, with all its torque kicking in, you feel like you are driving a train bound for glory as the tach starts heading for 7,000 rpm.

Even today, in my chick car Miata with a booted shifter, my Maranello experience helps me to square up and then - snick - an out of the ball park home run.

Yes, the experience was somewhat similar in the GTC. But, the GTC never inspired the abandon that the Maranello did. I guess once an accountant - always an accountant. I just couldn't get over how much it costs to rebuild a GTC tranny.

Damn, I really miss my Maranello.

Dale

14. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    It also makes you sure of which gear you're in.

15. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    So does my Audi R8

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    James, I have not looked to see what is underneath the boot.

I do know that the lack of gearshift connecting rods on a non-transaxle car makes for a far more "direct" feel of what you are doing with your stick. The feel is completely different from a transaxle. This past weekend I drove both types of gear change mechanisms and enjoyed them both, but somehow a clean and succesfull shift on the booted, non-transaxle car provides me with greater satisfaction.

Anybody else?

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have seen some pictures that indicates some of the early non-transaxle cars had a shift tower with a gate, and that was covered with the boot. Don't know if that was true for all early models, though.

18. the head

the head Karting

Mar 6, 2008
    Des Moines IA
    Full Name:
    J. Hedden
    That is an aftermarket Shift gate you can get them from Ricambi made by Hill engineering...great little piece I have one in my TR

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Don, 330 GTC = transaxle = gated shifter.