Which watch goes better with a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which watch goes better with a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by seateddime, Apr 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrTheKid

MrTheKid Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jonny Pickens
    #26 MrTheKid, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.

Must have been very recent.........I did not update my information.......thank you :).

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.

:cool:...........didn't see this one before.

4. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.

James......I too love the Rolex Daytona. I have one myself, bought it 10 years ago........it's a classic.

5. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yup, they sure are! I love them!

James

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #31 Martin308GTB, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello from Germany,

my answer to the initial question ( thread topic ) is; any high quality Ferrari watch. For years I lusted for one, but a Cartier, which would fit the era of my car was always too much bling-bling for my taste. Then came the co-branding with Girard-Perregaux and I liked their standard line very much. Unfortunately I couldn't afford or was not willing to pay those prices.
    A few years ago Panerai came with Ferrari watches and I didn't like their design at all. Also the current standard size of gents watches is way too big for me ( 44mm vs. former 38mm ) But the good thing is, that now the Girard Perregaux Ferrari watches dropped in resale value and last week I could get a decent, used one for a fair price.
    I want to wear it daily and therefore some tiny traces of use don't disturb me.

I'm no watch collector, nor do I have a lot of knowledge about it. But of course I did some research about Girard-Perregaux, and they are one of the few last real manufactures in the most famous swiss watch region. Located just around 150 mls. distant from where I live, I could bring my watch to the factory if I get problems one day.

Best Regards

Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Martin- You got it right on G-P watches. I have one and just picked up a very nice new Lady G-P with prancing horse for my wife's Christmas present. Shhh, she does not know. The only problem with G-P is they do not do their own movements and use ETA. My watch was delivered with a large movement fault, which will be remedied shortly with an infusion of major parts. That said, they are much more attractive than Ferrari's chosen replacement.

I do have a small watch collection and love the old, quality names. These include Patek, JlC, A-P, Breguet, Rolex (wife only), Breitling, and a few outliers. Posts stating they have never heard of Breguet really make me shake my head, but it is a new world out there.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello Terry,

as far as I know; only a few - the cheaper - if you can call that 'cheap' - range of their watches are based ETA. This short Wikipedia article confirms it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girard-Perregaux

And the handbook of my watch says, that it has one of GP's own movements.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Martin- Will have to check. My watch is the exact same as yours except in stainless and gold with a white dial. I had one exactly like yours and sold it to a Ferrari enthusiast in the Bahamas to buy my latest one. My German watchmaker told me it was an ETA movement.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #35 Martin308GTB, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    Terry; here's an overview from a watch database and all GP watches seem to have a GP own movement.

http://www.orbita.net/pages/17107.htm

And this is, what also my handbook says, which came with the watch. GP 2280

I forgot; though I'm no watch collector I still keep an heirloom from my dad. An early Porsche Orfina chronograph from 1975 with a Valjoux 7750 movement.
    I like that watch, but have problems wearing it while driving my Ferrari :)

Martin

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Terry; did you ever determine the accuracy of your watch ? For instance +/- sec./day. I'm just curious.

Martin

12. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    White faced Rolex Daytona, stainless, is the perfect watch. Nice, but not over the top.

13. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    #38 GrndLkNatv, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Rolex made the new 4130 movement for the Daytona in 2000. Before that it was the Zenith El-Primero re-clocked for 28,8 per hour instead of Zenith's 36k an hour.

Rolex made the 3135 and 3035 movements in house for the Sub, the Explorer and others.

The old Daytona used the Valjoux 72 ebauche but Rolex has had in house movements for a long time, like since 1908, just not all of their watches had in house movements. As for quality, Rolex are in the upper part of the mid tier of watches although the Daytona is the most sought Chrono on the planet.

In regard to Breguet.. The movements in Breguet are Lemania which was originally Breguet before it was spun off years ago and then re-acquired by Nick Hayek... That same line of Lemania movements in the Breguet today are the ones that were used in the Omega Speedmaster of the past and in some cases even today... Breguet is again a top name watch, but for years it was horrible. Patek, VC, GP, AP, Chopard, AL&S, BP, Glashutte, IWC, Jaeger, Parmigiani, Roger D and even Zenith are considered to have top end watches in their line up..

Actually the sleeper in the bunch is Chopard which has in house movements created by Michael Parmigiani and are considered better engineered than Patek, VC and many others...

http://www.essential-watches.com/Chopard-16-1863-L.U.C.-Quattro-8-Day-White-Gold-on-Strap-with-Blue-Dial-17126.aspx

Another sleeper of very high quality is RGM, Roland G. Murphy here in the states.. His low end watches use ETA/Valjoux Ebauches but his hand made top end watches rival anything from Patek, etc.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Martin- Right now my G-P is not reliable enough to wear without a major overhaul.

Interesting on you having your father's Porsche Orfina watch. I have my father's 1956 Breitling Navitimer, which I had completely restored. Always great to have a watch with family heritage. If my house burned down, the first thing I would save (besides my wife, naturally), would be the Breitling. I might back the 575M out of the garage soon afterwards, though.

I think I may be a little older than you.

I really enjoy your comments on 308 maintenance. Excellent insight and experience.

Gruss Gott

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    you're probably right. MY details are viewable on my Public Profile.

Martin

16. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nice.

I just bought the 08 and waiting for it to arrive. What are your thoughts on the 14 so far?

17. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    If you drive a classic the you need a Patek but if you drive a Scuderia then you must wear a Richard Mille.
    ;)

18. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Did you see the article in Forbes a couple of issues back about Richard and his watches... I think they are very high quality, just not the design for me. I like more classic lines...

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Martin- I was half-way through Gymnasium (high school) when you were born. I was born on the same day as the US Air Force on 18 September 1947. My father was flying P-51s in South Carolina at that time. I flew F-111s for 20 years in the USAF.

Many watch manufacturers claim ETA calibers as their own because they modify them for their own use. Have to do some more research after our Thanksgiving holiday.

I lived in Mauer near Heidelberg for two years. Loved Germany and, at that time, spoke pretty good German, with six years formal classes. Had a new 1987 Corvette then (between Ferraris) and loved driving on the autobahns. Many hours at 210 kph between Mauer and Oberammergau, where I taught as a guest instructor at the NATO school.

I still only drink Weissen Bier. Weihenstefaner Kristall Weissbier. From the oldest brewery (1040) in the world. Expensive but worth it.

Gruss Gott,
    Taz
    Terry Phillips

PS- I write books on WW-I German aircraft.