What Gas and Oil are you high-enders using? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Gas and Oil are you high-enders using?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Stearman22, Nov 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    From the "It Can Happen With Any Gas" file,

A few years ago on my way to work in my daily driver I filled up at the local Texaco. My tank was almost empty when I pulled in there and after the fill up I made it about 8 miles before the car started loosing power, missing and stumbling. I had to have it towed to my brother's shop.

He determined it was a fuel problem but it wasn't for the lack of it, it was the fuel itself. It wouldn't burn like gas usually does.

I contacted the Texaco and they had a recall for all of the customers that bought gas on that day, explaining that the batch of gas they received from the local refinery had 5 times the maximum levels of polymers normally found in the mix.

They paid everyone the cost of flushing fuel systems, dropping tanks and injector R & R's.

I am REALLY glad it didn't happen to my 308 at the time. It would have buggered the carbs terribly.

2. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Gas BP and Shell

Oil b4 the reduction ZDDP Castrol GTX 20w50, NOW Valvoline VR1 Raceing 20w50.

Gearbox Redline 75w90NS.

BP had an incident like Spasso described at a BP station in North Topeka. They paid for a tank cleaning and a tank of gas.

We only had 1 Shell in the area now we have 2 vs at least 20 BP's.

Starting Jan 1006 in KS stations were allowed to sell ethanol enriched premium WITHOUT posting what they are selling.

I had a Porsche 928 in the 80's that did NOT like ethanol enriched premium.

Stephen

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Whatever gas and oil I can get my hands on! :D:D

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I only use Shell gas. Why? Because I trust the quality and it's my simple way to support the race team.

As to oil, that's up to what the dealer puts in. As long as it's to spec, I really don't care.

5. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I use Renewable Lubricants Incorporated, RLI, 0W-20 in the Murcielago and 57s, and 0W-30 RLI in the Enzo.
    Red Line 75W90NS in transaxles and diffs.
    Shell V-Power gas is a must as well. I was told to use this by several people in the motor oil industry.
    I use a G-5 coolant and mix with tap water with a TDS of around 300. It is not as harsh as distilled water and not too hard.
    Plain air goes in the tires but I would use nitrogen if it was readily available.
    The F1 shifting circuit gets the bona fide Shell fluid, all other brake and steering fluids get brand named fluids but not necessarily the exact OEM fluid.

aehaas

6. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    What makes one gasoline brand different from another generally is the deposit control additive that is added to the fuel. Prior to loading into a tanker truck for delivery to a station, gasoline in bulk storage is pretty much the same from company to company. As noted earlier in this thread, the oil companies often trade, buy and sell the bulk fuel. When gasoline is loaded into the tanker, that is where the major change takes place. THis is where manufactures add their deposit control additive package. For Chevron, Techron is added. Shell has V-Power, etc.. A lot of the independant brands (not all) often use a "generic" additive package, one that meets EPA minimum requirements.

Prior to loading into a tanker, the difference is the quality standards a company maintains at their bulk storage location. For example, are they on top of water drawing the tanks on a regular basis, do they filter product when necessary, do they test product before going into bulk storage, etc... When you get a bad load of fuel in your car, it is not the additive that is messed up but often a quality issue back in the supply chain. Could be bad gas coming out of a refinery that was not tested appropriately. Or a product mix in a bulk facility with poor quality control procedures in place or not being followed by a operator working grave shift on a Sunday night.

The major oil companies also have quality standards at the retail stations which can be quite different from one brand to another as well as the independants.

I have worked for Chevron for 27 years and would only put Chevron or Texaco (Texaco is a Chevron brand and uses Techron as well) fuel in my '86 328. In a pinch I would also use fuel from Exxon or Shell. Never from a no name independant.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ed- Good info from a professional. Matches my choices, even when in the sticks on fly fishing trips with my wife's GL 550.

Taz
    Terry phillips

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Gas - Chevron, Shell, Exxon
    Engine oil - Redline 5W40
    Gearbox oil -Redline 75W90NS - though I want to try the Superlight next time out

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I use only Chevron gas, AGIP fluids, and Mobil 1 engine oil..my V10 runs good on it!

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks for the clarification.

11. budman355

budman355 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    lake dallas
    hi guys is royal purple 5w/40w any good ?

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Shell V Power 93 for the Ferrari and Maserati. The RR is not as particular so I will use Valero 93 in it but I also give it Shell from time to time. Mobil 1 for the oil.

ross likes this.
  13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    most gasoline in the usa is the same within regions simply because it is usually accumulated in pipelines or terminals etc.
    the differentiation is the additive package that the brand applies to the product when it puts into the tanks under the gas station.
    and right now, the best additive package is shell's nitro v power. i was recently given a tour of the shell tech center in houston and was shown actual engine parts subjected to gasoline with that package vs leading competitors, and it was astonishing.

whatever you presently like to use, and for whatever reason, try to put in a tank of shell nitro at least once a month.

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I started using Shell for the high performance engines about 5 years ago because it actually proved to produce more hp from an engine than did the other premium brands. Don't know if that is different now but since Ferrari recommends Shell and the Maserati engine is made by Ferrari, it's an easy choice. Of course if you compare the pump prices, Shell would not be your first choice.