What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by REMIX, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #76 WJHMH, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#77 REMIX, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    I'm spending a lot of time sorting the car out. It's okay as is, but I'm picky, so it's getting a lot of attention.

1. These old cars burped coolant right on to the ground, so I added a coolant overflow tank. It's next to the battery in the fenderwell, so you cannot even see it. 2 weeks of having the thing spit coolant all over my garage floor was enough. 45 minute job and $12.

2. Changed the oil to Mobil 1. Took me another 45 minutes under the car and cost me about $35. Looked to me like the oil had not been changed in a while; it was black and smelled like gas. Problem solved.

3. I put a new voltage regulator in it last night (Friday is now garage nite). Was having some issues with the headlights flickering and going dim, then bright. That cost me $64 and took about an hour (did this in conjunction with the coolant tank as the battery had to come out). Headlight problem now solved.

4. Bought a Krylon silver leafing pen (at Michaels) and have spent a few hours retracing the interior edges where there was once chrome detailing (steering wheel trim, dash trim, wiper, lighter and headlight lettering). I also retraced the worn silver lines on the taillights. Cost about $9 for the pen.

5. Rear tire ingested a 1" nail yesterday. Pulled it and plugged it myself last night.

6. Bought and installed a new Holley open element air filter. The filter assembly that came with the car was from an LS6 and 100% correct, except for the fact I have an LS5 hood with no cowl induction flapper (only pulls cold air at the base of the windshield). The hood was sealing the old-style air cleaner shut and it was breathing only through the snorkel. That cost me $43 and took about 15 minutes to install.

That's it so far. Ebay has been great. I got a car cover off of there for about $45 + some decals which help make it look more "correct".

There are some other problems which I will attack in due time.

1. I have a power steering pump leak. Pretty sure it's coming out of the high pressure hose but cannot be sure. Not a huge worry, but it's leaking fluid on to my floor a drip or two at a time.

2. I may have a rear main seal leak as well. Not sure, my mechanic neighbor seems to think it's not too serious. It also could be coming from the oil pan or the back of the valve covers and being blown further back looking like a rear main seal. Dunno, I'll have to get some brake cleaner on there and keep track of it.

3. It runs a little rich and seems to have some hesitation when I floor it while in 3rd or 4th gear. I have to bone up on adjusting fuel to air ratios on Holley carbs.

4. Parking brake is snapped. Will get around to dealing with this.

Lots of stuff I will get to. I am committed to sorting it out and having it look good enough for a Sunday car show and also being able to drive it once or twice a week. Right now, I'm enjoying having something to work on and keep me busy.

RMX

3. REMIX

I did some research on these wheels. They are apparently a pretty old design and were available "back in the day". I'm a little more comfy with them now, I guess. :)

RMX

4. REMIX

She now has a name.

"MELBA TOAST".

It's fitting and perfect. :)

RMX

5. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    That is why there is gasoline in your oil. You have fuel dilution problem. Is the choke sticking? Is this a double pumper or vacuum secondary carb?

6. REMIX

Holley double pumper - no choke.

Pulled all the plugs and they are clean.

Trust me when I say this oil was VERY old. I'm not surprised...in fact, I have a lot fewer drips on my floor now that the oil's been changed.

I just replaced the starter on my baby, too. $351 with labor.

RMX

7. REMIX

#82 REMIX, Nov 22, 2008
  8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Proof in the adage; You can have your cake, and eat it too.

Congratulations!

9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    The first of many trophy's I expect. Way to go !

10. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Nice work! :)

11. REMIX

#86 REMIX, Dec 6, 2008
  12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Thus ruining the car.

13. REMIX

They're supposed to have them, actually.

Wait til you see the clear parking lenses (supposed to have those, too).

RMX

14. Hemiragtop

Hemiragtop Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    The car really looks gret. I like the hood pins(originally correct) IMO I thinkthe car looks best with the OEM rims & wide ovals. There is something about muscle cars & their original tires, that looks cool.

15. REMIX

#90 REMIX, Dec 13, 2008
    Show #2 tonight. Around 150 cars there.

"Best Muscle Car" this time.

Photo #2 was taken yesterday before detailing. Now you see the hood pins and the clear parking lenses which would make this car, on the outside, visually identical a real SS.

Eventually it will be a bolt for bolt copy of an LS6 454.

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You are a friggin' stud.

To touch briefly upon business aspect, as mentioned earlier in the thread... though there's a great deal of pathos surrounding the business you're in, has customer reaction been positive?

17. REMIX

I have used it on a very limited basis for work. I've taken it to my office maybe a half dozen times.

I have one client who I've been dealing with for nearly a year who I just wasn't clicking with. Not knowing he was there, I took the car to his office one day to pick up a survey. I was about to leave when he came in huffing and puffing like he had been running. "Is that your old hot rod outside?" I'm like yeah. He kind of gave me this look up and down and then said, "nice". Ever since then he has sent me a few clients and always answers the phone "hey, buddy" when I call. That was kind of an unexpected change of attitude.

I took it to show some offices to this girl who ran a photography business. First building I pulled up to, the receptionist came outside and started telling me a story about her ex boyfriend who owned one at one time. The agent representing this company seemed a little miffed I was getting all this attention from the employees of her client. Was pretty funny.

So far that's it. I intend to take it to more client showings over time. People obviously relate very well to this car. It's nice. I may take it again on Monday.

RMX

18. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    #93 DMC, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
    Funny thing about people relating to these cars. Chevelles, Novas, Impalas were all so common that it seems like everyone has a story about one. We were selling a '66 Impala SS 396 a couple of years ago, the car was very original, red/black. I drove it around a little bit, took it up to Road America for the vintage races, and took it to a large local car show (about 350 cars). That car got a lot of attention, partly because of its size, partly because everyone had a dad/aunt/uncle/cousin/buddy that had one when they were a kid and wanted to talk about it. Probably helped that someone had put a set of glasspacks on it, so it sounded great too. Nostalgia is a very powerful emotion.

19. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Kind of like how the very mention of burning leaves or cut grass can make the nose have a phantom smell come alive, aye?

20. REMIX

#95 REMIX, Dec 27, 2008
    Getting there. I'm obsessed with getting the car as close as I can to a real one. The engine bay is getting there slowly.

Next up are:

Coded radiator, heater and bypass hoses (already have)
    Tower clamps (already have)
    Cast iron water neck
    OEM spark plug wires
    Spring ring battery cables
    OEM fuel lines
    Hood catch stripped and phosphate plated
    Top radiator support de-chromed and powder coated semi-gloss black
    Emission stickers on the top support (already have these)

No one except for a serious Chevelle guy would realize these things need changing.

BTW, I found the build sheet under the seats 2 days ago. Was a Malibu 307 200hp car to begin with. LOL.

We are off to another show in an hour. Wish us luck!

Enjoy!

21. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Our REMIX is growing up so fast. *sniff*

Does it make purty gurgling sounds?

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #97 Meister, Dec 28, 2008
    I appluade your desire to return some of the OEM details to the car. It's nice to see when someone takes that much pride and attention to detail.

Just a few notes, and I'm only trting to be helpful.

1. If you are going to the trouble to switch out the clamps, I'd pick up a correctly printed upper rad hose too. They are only about $20 and it just has a little GM stamp near the radiator inlet.

2. You might have trouble getting an OEM/repo fule line kit to fit properly, the OEM intake mainfiold is much lower than the highrise one that's on your car

3. I'm pretty sure that semi gloss black is correct for the upper rad support, but one thing to keep in mind is that powder coating was not around in 1970, and wouldn't be an OEM finish. I know the durability is unreal for powder coating, but if you are really striving for true clone status, it's something to think about.

4. I'm not sure that spring style battery clamps would have been correct either. My 69 corvette had a side screw battery...I'm thinking top style spring cables went out in 67 or 68, because both my 66 corvettes have srping style....something to check on.

5. Lastly, I was actually talking with my dad the other day and he had mentioned that non cowl induction cars (like his I now have) came with the standard non-snorkel air cleaner element.

Again, I appluade your desire to change these little details. In the last 15 or so years that I took over some of his cars and found my own, chasing down these little details, finishes and such is a great aspect of ownign these types of cars...keep up the pride.

Here is a pic of a 16000 mile survivor.

Sadly about 10 years ago my dad and I did an engine bay detail on our 54K mile LS6, which has now voided it for true suvivor status. The orginal interior is absolutely mint wihtout a tear or scratch and has incredibly nice orginal carpet. I don't have any pics as it's in cold storage right now, but will have some in early spring.

Good work.

23. REMIX

#98 REMIX, Dec 28, 2008
    Hi Scott.

Thank you for the notes.

I do have correctly coded hoses GM AU 3917227 KY for the upper and another for the lower which is marked differently. They're here, I just have to wait for the cast iron neck and heater hoses to get here before I "fix" it. These hoses were expensive - $40 for the upper and $30 for the lower but they are hand stamped and exact duplicates for the year and engine.

You are correct, LS6 cars came with an R89W HD side post battery. This is **MY** fault for ordering what I did. It's only an R59 topper ($50), but I went out and bought a group 24 battery to fit it ($100). For $100 more than I spent on all this stuff, I could have had a real repo R89W. Ugh...might as well just put on the spring rings than spend hundreds undoing the mistake I made. Those cables are $39 each...might as well fully commit. Live and learn.

Cowl induction delete LS6 cars had a dual snorkel air cleaner assembly. It is very similar to what I have now but with two snorkels. These are very hard to find and I am keeping an eye out for one. The last one I saw sold for close to $800. It would actually probably be more sensible to buy a repro hood for $300, a cowl induction kit for $300 and then have it painted. Or maybe have my current hood modified by a good body shop to accept the cowl induction kit. I don't know how I will handle this just yet. Cowl induction delete LS5 cars had an open air element, that much I do know. See pic below for what an LS6 cowl induction delete air cleaner looks like.

I am looking for a correct LS6 intake manifold now. That will then require me to find a correct carburetor....you guys stick around and watch me spend my retirement away. LOL.

I will take the radiator support comment to heart. I will probably just spray it with some Eastwood semi gloss resto paint once I get it de chromed. I have the paint, but need to have a shop remove the chrome.

RMX

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Malibu 307 CI is probably why it survived the rest of the high HP cars were 'used up' at the time!

With rare exceptions, usually in the hands of mature owners....

25. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    Nice ride. Congrats on the car and clearing up the credit crap. The cobalt silver is my favorite and even though I am not a vinyl top type of guy, the combo works very nicely on your ride. For me, there are three cars that defined their era, the '55 Chevy Shoebox, '70 Chevelle with its classy lines and of course, the 308 series from Ferrari. These three cars set the DNA standard that many cars follow, even today.

My very first car was a 1970 Chevelle SS. 396/350 HP, cowl induction, console shift, Turbo 400 auto with a 12 bolt arse end stuffed with nicely-balanced 3.73 gears. When I picked it up it was all black with a red interior but came with the cranberry red/black stripes from the factory. The big block was long gone, replaced by an anemic 283. When I picked up the car and was leaving the seller's garage I noticed a big block sitting in the corner. The owner said it was an L-36 (427/390 HP) he had just pulled out of a '69 'Vette and that I could have it for nothing. A week later it was stuffed into the Chevelle and was a screamer and I was melting tires doing spyrograph dry donuts until I couldn't see through the smoke. Ahhh ... to be 20 years old again with a working-man's paycheck and no bills except gas and beer:)

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am guessing this was a 307 Malibu judging from the dash layout and column shift (very rare-but not impossible to find in SS Chevelles) but whoever did the recreation did a nice job including the chrome wheel well moldings, which frame the car rather nicely. Spring for the clear front lenses which came on all of the LS-6 cars and crack open the wallet for both the Cowl Induction work and Rochester Q-Jet carb. There is nothing like that little flap opening up and sucking in truckloads of air when you blip the throttle.

One final note, I recall seeing a pristine black/white LS-6 a few years back and had a detailed conversation with the owner who had purchased it from new. As he discovered that I had some knowledge of the Chevelle, he took a lot of pride in showing me the factory rear glass which still had the sticker showing Frigidaire, the maker of the A/C unit that was in his car. Had never seen one of these factory stickers before.

Enjoy and ride without worrying that someone is going to scratch your factory original, $100K + LS-6

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada