AUS - Ferrari and Exotic Spotters | Page 49 | FerrariChat

AUS Ferrari and Exotic Spotters

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ragtop, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Just to clarify, that wasn't directed towards you Mike--I know you don't make the rules :) I was making a general statement about the local FCA policy.
    We're all car buffs and I think everyone should be able to participate. I bought my 355 after a few generous owners allowed me to ride (and even drive) a few Ferrari's at a FCA breakfast in KC (I was a non-member at the time).

2. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    If the past club president was kind enough to let me come out and take some photos, I wouldn't have ever been as passionate about Ferraris as I am today. If it were up to me I would invite everyone but it's not really up to me to make those decisions. Several other people on FChat get the same emails I get. They could post the info if they choose to...

3. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I meant to say "wasn't" in the first sentence above. Maranelloman is a very generous guy and he was a great club president!

4. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Oopps. I wonder if I ruined all the fun for non-members?

5. Got One

Got One Karting

Mar 7, 2006
    Nope ;) There is always HCD...shameless plug.

I completely understand a group of Ferrari guys getting together outside of other car clubs and only wanting Ferrari's there. Us Viper folks are the same way...hell, most exotic owners are. HCD was designed just for that reason...OUTSIDE of your specific ar club you can get with other exotic owners of different makes and mix it up. But I like doing both. However, based on Ferrari ownership costs (maintenance) I probably wouldn't be doing much outside of the monthly breakfast either.

To each his own :)

6. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #1206 speedmoore, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    The reason is not at all as you may think...at least this is my understanding....it has nothing to do with the current or past president but a growing problem with people wanting to participate without contributing.

The truth be known a number of our events are Club members only (like the Christmas party) because there are quite a few Ferrari owners that continually participate in all club activities that seem to think they do not have to pay dues to help support the club. That is really the only reason.

You would be very surprised to find out how many Ferrari owners in town are not paying dues to support the club like you do Mike (meaning you joined the club and support it) and you would be very surprized at who they are, I certainly was.....

God knows I've introduced many to join the club. But as many as have joined through me or my shop, there are many more that never join but still want to come play. Its really about fairness to the other club members. My wife and I hosted the club's Christmas party last year and there were no less than half a dozen Ferrari owners that wanted to come but were not members, most of them come to the breakfast meetings regardless. I went so far as to print applications for them and show them the magazines and newsletter and they turned their nose up. So its like lurking on FChat and not paying. BTW, I may be a consultant but I did subsribe beforehand. You've been to my tech sessions so you know we invite non-members as many members invite non-members to come with them to a meeting. So you might convey that the group is a great bunch of guys and its really not fair for anyone to think its snobery after you understand why.

If it was not for this reason I doubt there would be an issue, if there really is one. What is perplexing is the fact that they pass up on receiving the FNA newsletter as well as Prancing Horse magazine, the club directory and invitations to other Ferrari Club chapter events (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, New Orleans, etc.) and a direct membership to Ferrari Owner's site where they can get documents for free from the factory.

I'll keep trying to get them to join regardless. And if you really are missing being around a red barchetta, ya'll are always welcome to visit our shop as we almost always have something cool and usually plenty of red ones lying around.

7. Got One

Got One Karting

Mar 7, 2006
    I run the Viper Club here in town and face the same issues. It still surprises me the amount of folks that want to reap the benefits of a family or club...without contributing. And last time I checked, $100-$150 pays itself over typically in my club...the first time they take their car in for repair...or the first event....

8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #1208 TexasMike, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Bad ass cars and a very generous owner! That will turn any Saturday morning into an event!

10. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    That's for sure!! :)

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I spotted a black & tan Bentley Azure convertible with the top down at 3rd & Congress today at about 1:45 pm.

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #1212 TexasMike, Nov 24, 2008
  13. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim

14. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #1214 TexasMike, Nov 24, 2008
    It is James' car. I did a photo shoot with it and an M3 in the same color a while back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    5 minutes ago I spotted a Rosso Corsa F430 Spider with a challenge grill on Guadalupe near 15th St.

16. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There was, what looked like a DeTomaso Longchamp on 360 last week. Not something you see everyday.
    Mark

17. barron

barron Karting

May 3, 2004
    You got me again. You must work near that area? I believe you spotted me there before.

Jonah

18. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #1218 TexasMike, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    Yes, I work at the Wells Fargo Tower on 15th. I heard the unmistakable growl of a Ferrari engine and sure enough, I saw your car.

19. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY Karting

Sep 13, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hey Jonah, you spend any time near Bee Cave and the 71? I've seen an F430 matching your description a couple of times in my neighborhood. Wondering if it's you.

20. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    That may have been another red F430 Spider with a Challenge grill. It looks almost identical to Barron's. The owner told me that he saw or met another F430 Spider owner around that area. I immediately thought that it was you that he was referring to.

21. barron

barron Karting

May 3, 2004
    That probably wasn't me. I own a house in that area, but I'm never there (i live downtown). Must be a happy owner!!

Jonah

22. barron

barron Karting

May 3, 2004
    Then there might be 3 F430s that look alike :) The only f430 owner I know (lives in my building) has a black/black f430. Its good to see there is at least 1 other 599 in Austin as well.

I'm debating on buying a scuderia right now. Anyone have one in Austin I can look at?

Jonah

23. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I don't know of any Scuderia owners in Austin yet. If you want to make a trip to San Antonio I may be able to arrange something.

There is another guy that has a black/tan F430 Spider that owns a unit in your building but he's leasing it out. He lives in Lakeway and San Fransico but he keeps the Ferrari in Lakeway. Last time he was in town he was real surprised to see such awesome cars in your building. :)

24. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Drove World Class Driving Scud weekend before last...WOW! What a car! Even in its safest mode (not allowed to turn the T/C off) that thing shifts FAST and SMOOTH! I don't have other F-car driving to compare it to, but this one was WAY hot inside. Not sure if it has A/C or if it is deleted or if the heat had been turn on in the car I drove, but even after we cranked down the thermostat that car was boiling hot and it was a pretty cool weekend. Can't imagine that car 9 months out of the year in central Texas. It was telepathic though! I have driven a few Boxsters and this car SOOOO put them to shame in the handling dept! If you spend enough time at the race track this would be THE BEST dancing partner you could hope for!

James

25. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Congrats James! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Did Roland happen to tell you that he won at Le Mans? lol :)