Boxer tyres | FerrariChat

Boxer tyres

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by robertinOK, Nov 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    I just ordered 2 new TRX 245/45 ZR415's for the front of my 512BBi, and was assured by the gentleman at Coker Tires that TRX's were in current production and they received a new batch every 6 months, so my tyres would be no more than 6 months old.

The tyres I received where manufactured in 2003. I called Michelin and after checking, they confirmed ALL TRX tyres are out of production and would remain so.

Now what?

Robert

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

Indeed, your tires are way too old. Perhaps contact Coker and see if they can replace these with newer ones, as I heard the life span to be 7 years or so.

As for the out-of-production part... If you contacted the standard division of Michelin then this info may not be entirely correct. It is true that the Michelin that we all see in the tire stores no longer make these vintage tires, their vintage tire division still does (or it did). Unless someone is quite learned at Michelin, they may not be aware of their vintage tire division (France?). I was told that the vintage tire division does a limited vintage tire production run approximately every two years. As a follow up you may wish to contact some other vintage Michelin vendors to verify this information... such as http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Sam

3. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Robert,

Michelin USA will say that they are out of production because they do not make them, they are still produced by Michelin France and are made in limited #'s. If you are not happy with them I would call Coker and have them swap them for newer tires.

4. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    I spoke with Michelin again today, and contrary to yesterdays conversation they agreed the TRX's were still in production, but did not elaborate as to where.

I also checked the manufacturing date on my rear tyres bought from Coker back in 2004, again on the premis that they were new, and was shocked to find 1997...over 7 years old when I got them! They already have cracking around the wall, and have told Coker that I expect something to be done about it....we'll see what happens. With Michelin quoting a 9 ~10 year life span, these tyres are now more than 1 year out of date.

I'll keep you informed of progress on this.

5. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Demand a full refund from Coker Robert and buy them from Longstone. Give them a call and they will give you the production date of their stock.. Also the dollar is strong against Sterling now so its a good time to buy.
    Steve

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the size you cite is not a metric trx tire...you said 15" diameter. did you mean 390?

7. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I think he has just typed the aspect ratio of the tyre wrongly Peter.

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I just replaced mine as part of a round of work being done, and received production (molded on the sidewall) of 14th week of this year. Jerry ("mini ferrari" here on FChat) was there at the time, and confirmed the production dates before shipping. You should be able to get the most recent production, and should expect that - especially considering the price.
    They should be glad to replace them.

9. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    I replaced mine a couple months ago, and Coker gave me manufacture dates over the phone prior to purchase. They were all made ealier this year.

10. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Robert,

Did Coker swap the tires out for you?

Jerry

11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I had an old tire issue from Yokohama. I was told 4 years is the lifespan of a tire for track use. After that, they handle really weird. I bought my Yok's on sale, and learned the hard way that they were on sale from a tire store for a reason. They were 6+ years old when they were mounted. The car at Laguna handled treacherously. Then came the first hand education on old tires. Yok took care of me, but not until many phone calls back and forth between the tire store, and Yok. If youy bought new tires from Coker, and they are stale, I'd push for newer ones.

Best of luck.

12. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Sorry for the delay in getting back guys....Christmas and all that.

Coker have replaced all four tyres, after a week or so of constant calling. However, I did have to pay full price for the 4 new tyres, on the understanding coker will refund me in full when I returned the bad ones. I returned the bad tyres 2 weeks ago, and despite a number of E-mails asking for clarification of receipt and refund, have received nothing in return. An e-mail would seem a common courtesy after I've spent $2200, that takes but a few seconds....however..

The new tyres (all 240/55/VR415) were about 8 months old.

I have made a few tools so I can set up the camber and toe in myself, and feel confident it is now perfect front and back...anyone have any hints on measuring castor?...doesn't seem so easy to check!

Incidently, the same tyres from Longstone in the UK were both cheaper, and free shipping, with gauranteed man. dates....and the GBP is weak at the moment! So why put up with BS from Coker...incidently Coker told me they supply Longstone?

Someone let me know about castor measurement? Thanks, Robert

13. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

14. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Despite what they may say, Coker does not supply Longstone. Michelin does. Keep emailing and calling until you get an answer.

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

Indeed, when I needed some XWX's for my BB, I went with Longstone. At that time (2 years ago), Longstone was $600 cheaper (in total) than Coker and my tires arrived in 5 days. I was really impressed with Longstone's service!

Cheers,

Sam

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    When I was getting my XWX's, I was told that Michelin still owns the tire molds and does a vintage tire production run about once every two years. Intetersting I, too, have heard from others that stated that Coker told them that they own the molds... which did not make a lot of sense to me, unless Coker owns or has access to a tire manufacturing plant.

Cheers,

Sam

17. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    I guess this is what a monopoly does. Still no word or confirmation from Coker.

No one have any ideas about castor angle?

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

Why don't you send a PM to David (fastradio), as he might know about the castor angle.

Cheers,

Sam

19. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg

More or less:

This can be done in the "home garage" if you have wheel turning plates, so that you can read the actual "degrees" of turn in and turn out. Any shop with an alignment machine can do this for you with great ease...

For caster you turn the wheel the recommended degrees (20) and then take you camber measurement. Turn the wheel the opposite direction the same amount and take the second reading.

1. If both measurements are negative, then
    Subtract the small number from the larger number and Multiply by 1.432

2. One negative and one positive, then
    Add the numbers together and Multiply by 1.432

3. If both are positive, then
    Subtract the smaller number from the larger number and Multiply by 1.432

On a BB, any variety, you should have between 4.0 and 4.25 degrees of caster, with right side being posssible greater to compensate for road crown (LHD vehicles). Typically, I set the shim pack "equal" on the lower ball joints...and move shims foward or back on the upper ball joint. If I can't get enough caster, I'll move one of the lower shims to the rear of the ball joint. This angle rarely needs adjustment...though.

David

20. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    That really is uncalled for, they should be able to look your info right up and see where it is at. I'd call and speak to a manager.

21. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    The Michelin department that continues making old profiles is called "Michelin Collection"

You can contact :

[email protected]

The TRX they still make are (1st code is their ref. number) :

TRX

021275 190/55 VR 340 TRX TL Disponible (Disponible = available)
    074005 220/55 VR 365 TRX TL Disponible en Mai
    074000 190/65 HR 390 TRX TL Disponible
    074067 200/60 VR 390 TRX TL Disponible
    047033 210/55 VR 390 TRX TL Disponible
    074001 220/55 VR 390 TRX TL Disponible
    074002 240/55 VR 390 TRX TL Disponible
    074101 240/55 VR 415 TRX TL Disponible
    137562 240/45 VR 415 TRX GT TL Disponible
    074250 280/45 VR 415 TRX TL Disponible

They also make (for 50's, 60's and 70's cars) :

XWX - XDX - MXW

052541 185/70 VR 13 XDX TL Disponible
    052542 205/70 VR 13 XDX TL Disponible
    002450 205 VR 14 XWX TL Pas disponible
    055752 205/70 VR 14 XWX TL Disponible
    055801 215/70 VR 14 XWX TL Disponible
    056202 185/70 VR 15 XWX TL Disponible
    056402 205/70 VR 15 XWX TL Disponible
    056502 215/70 VR 15 XWX TL Disponible
    056504 225/70 VR 15 XWX TL Disponible
    108241 255/45 VR 15 MXW TL Disponible
    137952 225/50 ZR 16 92 Y Pilot Sport TL Disponible
    845632 255/50 ZR 16 100 Y Pilot Sport TL Disponible

If anybody needs any help, please do not hesitate.

Besides, a friend of mine has got a very large company selling tyres and wheels in France and can provide these reproductions for less more than you will ever find in the US, even including the cost of shipping.

But it's true that sometimes you have to wait for getting them. But no 6 years old tyres.

I've waited 3 months for my BB XWX rear tyres. Made at the end of 2007.

22. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    I also have a phone number in France at Michelin's dedicated to this product line :

00 33 (0)4 73 41 75 00

From abroad, don't dial the "0" before the 4 between ().

23. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Robert instead of buying wheel turning plates order 4 pieces of flat steel, two at each corner, and put a lump of grease between the plates then lower the wheels on the plates. They will turn easy enough to set your caster or toe.

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Are the European Michelin's basically the same thing you'd get from Coker? I wonder how the price compares?

25. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    They are the same tire. Michelin still produced them for everyone. Longstone in the UK is generally cheaper and have newer production.