4 months and 5k report on 2005 GranSport | Page 2 | FerrariChat

4 months and 5k report on 2005 GranSport

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rob lay, Oct 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    +1

Rob, I have also been enjoying 3 months of trouble-free Gransport ownership. It's a great car and I love it. In my 3 months report I have nothing negative to report, apart from very bad mileage when driving in the Chicagoland area (12 mpg on my commute to work!). It definitely does not like urban driving.

Improvements? It can do with another 40HP and with more power and a more "assertive" clutch engagement, both of which will be cured with the ECU/DBW upgrades by Formula Dynamics. And the sway bars + springs modification will ensure that it will not only "keep up with the average 360", but it will positively kill them on the track. The stock GS is already good enough to post lap times very similar to the 360 as it is...

I will do all the mods to my car before next spring, ready for the 2009 track season.

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    That's what gives me pause. An inordinate amount of my daily commute is spent sitting at traffic lights.
    (Pity they don't have the two or four cylinder idle option F1 cars seem to have today. :p)

This may be a silly question, but has anyone driven a CC in the snow/ice? Do the shifts get weird when traction goes away?

3. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    As it stands now the GS holds its own against the 360 making it an amazing buy when considering price & performance! Get an aggressive exhaust on that thing and you will sound better than the 360 too!

4. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Similiar observations here. The F1 system is useless in reversing. Some minor niggles (the car was new this June now around 7000 miles.), all left side speakers changed, door latch assembly tightened, small wire mesh insert re-tightened. Fuel tank was spitting out fuel but fixed. Now the mechanim that lowers the window when you pull the door handle is not working 100% of the time. Sometimes the engine is laborious on start up. Stereo system would have been rejected in a 1980's Huyndai. The absolute worst this side of a Lada.

On the positive side, the car is so rare even in Geneva and Zurich people stare. TUBI exhaust sounds great and this car is a "Ferrari" I can easily drive every day. I am happy.

5. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    My car has a special stereo system with a high-output subwoofer and many high quality loudspeakers hidden everywhere. It sounds awesome, so loud that I have never cranked it over 40%. Apparently this high-end system was an option for the US market. However what lets it down is the original radio/CD player - it does look and feel like something out of a 1980's Lada. Why didn't Maserati use something more appropriate? I'm thinking of keeping the excellent loudspeaker/woofer system and replacing only the lousy "thing" - but what with? Any suggestions?

6. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    My stereo system doesn't even work half the time. Sometimes it refuses to select the CD player. Takes ages to start playing on start up etc.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    here is a big warning, the emergency brake doesn’t work when you need it! OK, maybe on a slight incline when not really needed in the first place. for first time we parked on a decent incline. I took foot off brake pedal with emergency fully engaged and it didn't even slow it down from rolling. I turned car back on and made sure it was in 1 when turned off, it still went back to Neutral and rolled back. I know there is a way to park in 1, but turning car off after Reverse or from 1 doesn't leave it in gear. The point is the emergency brake should be able to hold the car even in neutral. The GranSport emergency brake is absolutely useless when you need it.

8. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Sorry buddy, but it looks like you've got a lemon. I've got over 20k miles on my GS with only the normal clutch wear issues.

Rob, have your parking brake adjusted, although mine is not great it can hold the car pretty well.

9. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rob,

I had the same issue on an incline in Manhattan beach... The car rolled backard after I pulled the brake and felt like it would not lock but actually it does. There is a little play about 6-8 inches I would estimate but it will lock. On routine service they will adjust the e brake tension which should resolve this issue. It gets loose over time as will the reverse handle on your center console.

On that night, I did not park on the incline but choose a downward facing curb space for sanity.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I used the ice traction button for the first time today. We're iced here in DFW. GranSport handled great!

11. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    How is the maitenance on the Gransport? I am considering one. I test drove a cambiocorsa coupe last week, and might take the plunge and get the GS. All the research I have done seems to suggest a 6,000 mile service interval to the tune of $1,200 a pop. That seems a little rediculous. Anyone care to comment? Also do you get it serviced at an independent station/dealer/self/etc?

Thanks
    John

12. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    If you own a Ferrari F355 you should be used to insane service bills

13. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    You can get it serviced at an independent for half of that. You'll only need a dealer for clutch issues.

14. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    Yes I know. But that seems rediculous for a car that has some everyday drivability. My cayenne s is $750 at 20,000 miles and about $1200 at 40,000 miles. compared to the 355 its not that much, but compared to the cayenne it seems very expensive. I guess thats why I asked. I put about 20,000 miles a year on the Cayenne. I probably would put close to 10k a year on the Coupe if I got it.

15. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #40 Bcube, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No offense, but my first thought was - he owns a F355, how can he not "get" Ferrari shop rates and Ferrari part prices?

With regard to every day usage, the motor is close to bulletproof and there is no cam belt service. The cost of the ~20K mile clutch replacement is usually where it hits home hardest for first time owners - there is a Ferrari drivetrain under the body.

Initial service is at 6K miles and about every 18K thereafter:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My 6k service at Ferrari of Houston was $600 or so (last summer). I am due for the 18k service right now. I will let you know. I am expecting it to be in the $1800 area with the clutch to be done sometime in the next 6 months.

17. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yes I know I should expect the high maintenance costs, but I guess in my mind I thought it would be a little cheaper.

18. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Edit that to be about every 12Kmiles after the initial, i.e. the 2nd service is 18Kmiles.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I'm a bit surprised by some of this.
    I now have 23K mile son my 2006 GS and it has been great.
    The 20K service with new clutch and tires brought me to my kness in tears....$8K, but other than that no biggy.
    Stereo sounds great.
    If anything my steering is alittle too sharp...no understeer.
    Brakes don't squeek even a tiny bit.
    Reverse can be a pain waiting for I agree.
    Performance rivals that of my 550.

One of the best cars available today...bar none.
    Makes the California look stupid too.
    :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't know for sure yet, but bet GranSport service costs 40% of the 328 and 30% of the 355 over the years. Mostly because of the chains.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    turn faster and brake harder. :)

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    LOL!
    Maybe you're right.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Anyone know with the Pirelli PZero Neros if the inside corner wears faster on the fronts or backs? I took my right rear in to get the road rash fixed and noticed it was really worn on the inside corner. The dealer had all the wheels off about 1k ago and not sure if they rotated them, I will call. Hopefully the dealer had rotated them meaning the fronts wear the inside more.

It also appears the Neros aren't directional, so I should be able to flip them?

BTW, $125 and the wheel looks brand new. the road rash was REALLY bad.

These are by far the hardest wheels I've ever had to bolt. The wheels are really heavy and with the full circle hub lip it is a pain to line up right and get fully on. Once you get one bolt going all lines up fine, but dang.

24. xraygun

xraygun Karting

Feb 5, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Ray Henderson
    #49 xraygun, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    Rob,
    The front and rear tires are different sizes so he couldn't have rotated them front to back.
    You could need an alignment. Potholes are brutal on our wheels and could have knocked you out a bit.
    xraygun
    2006 Maserati CC

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, not sure why I didn't notice that. 235 and 265.

I guess best is if I confirm the Neros aren't directional so I can flip the tires.

Interesting, rears have the most negative camber to cause inner wear or more likely just result of those are the driven tires.