Who knows the true story of the two Ferrari Bartoletti 642 rn2 racetransporters ? | FerrariChat

Who knows the true story of the two Ferrari Bartoletti 642 rn2 racetransporters ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by andymont, Nov 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #1 andymont, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As I know , probably two trucks open deck (one by sure) Fiat 642 RN2 were built by Bartoletti coachwork of Forlì and owned by Scuderia Ferrari from half of 50’ to half of 60’ years.
    The original license plates were MO 42628 (not sure) and MO 42629 (sure).
    Someone says that the first one was used for the transport of production cars , and the other one for transport to circuits of racing cars (???)

As I Know the Fiat 642 RN2 Transporter (chassis # 02989) was owned by the first owner Richard Freshman USA before being sold to Clive Beecham UK and in 1997 to Fritz Grashei , seen in Technoclassica Essen 2008 and probably sold to new owner. It was probably the only original truck with license plate MO 42629 but I’ve pictures with several different European license plates.

The other one Fiat 642 RN2 Transporter (chassis # ???) owned by Jon Shirley is USA has a Washington State license plate 1913 TAD but shows also a fake plate MO 42629 and , as I know , has being restored (or better : built ex novo on a donor Fiat truck chassis) by Silma Bus of Modena.

The two vehicles are quite different from old original pictures I have.
    The first one (chassis # 02989) seems more matching to the original .
    The Jon Shirley vehicle has a different windshield shape and many other different details , and shows even an inverted prancing horse on right side …

Who knows the true story of these two trucks ? And what about the Maserati (yellow and blue) identical one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #3 andymont, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    Yes I know very well these vehicles , but these are other trucks .
    The first was a more modern Fiat Bartoletti open deck , first owned by Scarab Automobiles inc . in the first half of the sixties.
    The second was one of the two OM vans , owned by Maserati in the second half of '50 and after sold to Scuderia Centro Sud .

P.S. I made a little mistake on writing post #1 .
    It is the German truck ( ch.# 02989) not the Jon Shirley's one ,that " shows even an inverted prancing horse on the right side "
    and then different than the original .

Pictures in the post # 1
    1/2 refers to the original one in '56 and '64
    3/4 German truck ( ch.# 02989)
    5/6 Jon Shirley (ch.# unknown)

Ciao

Andrea

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #4 Far Out, Nov 19, 2008
    #02989 was in the Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany, for a long time (see pic attached). According to some knowledgeable Fchatter in some thread I can't remember, it was sold by car dealer Klaus Werner (?) for 400k€ (?).

Edit: Forget my previous edit, read about the fake numberplates.

4. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #5 andymont, Nov 19, 2008
    The one I've called "the German" is the one that was in the Technik Museum in Sinsheim and is really ch.# 02989 and it is the same of my pictures 3 and 4 . Its original license plate was really MO 42629 (even if license plate showed is a bad reproduction)
    I suppose that this is the most ( ... the only) original of the two .

Ciao
    Andrea

5. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #6 Boudewijn, Nov 19, 2008
  6. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    See my edit above, I didn't properly read that the number 42629 could be seen on both transporters. Anyway, I've always been interested in those trucks, so thanks for all your information, Andrea! :)

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No, it was sold by German dealer Axel Schütte of Oerlinghausen.
    Marcel Massini

8. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    We purchased 003001 and 003002 directly from Carrozzeria Bartoletti while both were in restoration.

003001 is a Tipo 682 R N2
    003002 is a Tipo 642 R N2

Both were invoiced as new but heavily customized vehicles to the Scuderia Ferrari in 1957.

At one point Ferrari had four similar transporters to meet the needs of both racing, motor shows and vehicle delivery.

Ownership of our two Transporters changed internally during Ferrari's ownership from the Scuderia Ferrari, to the SEFAC Ferrari.

Both had many subsequent but well documented owner's in Italy until both were unserviceable and set aside to rot.

Both examples retained their original "Libretto" or Italian Road Registration and Ownership documents.

Both were sold and the current owner's still have the original documentation from new identifying all of the above.

Neither of these two transporters have anything to do with the transporter in Germany which is 002989.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

9. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #10 andymont, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008

Thanks for usefull information. Have you a pic of these two vehicles ?
    It is the first time I hear of 4 vehicles of this type originally owned by Ferrari.
    I knew two Bartoletti 642 RN2 and one Bartoletti 682 RN2 .

A 642 is actually in the Jon Shirley Collection restored by Silma Bus of Modena
    An other 642 is the one I called "German" ch.# 002989
    The 682 is the one owned by Pat Hart and also restored by Silma Bus of Modena

So , how many others open deck Bartoletti we have now ?

Ciao

Andrea

10. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Very interesting picture . Thanks

Ciao

Andrea

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #12 GIOTTO, Nov 20, 2008
  12. Hairy

Hairy Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    #13 Hairy, Nov 20, 2008
  13. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #14 andymont, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    Well known picture . It refers to the 682 Rn2 Bartoletti open deck with license plate MO 53210 .
    It is exactly the same of picture's post #12 , on right side.
    It was a more modern and powerful truck than 642 Rn2 , now is owned by Pat Hart ( WA - USA) and as I said before was resored by Silma Bus of Modena.

Ciao

Andrea

14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #15 GIOTTO, Nov 22, 2008
  15. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #16 andymont, Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the picture . As you correctly say , it should be #003001 , but not sure that is an ex Scuderia Ferrari .
    Looking at the white front superior structure (even if modified) and fog lights on bumper , it seems the 682 RN2 that appears in a sequence of "Grand Prix" movie and in this picture of LM 1967.
    In the mean tome I must notice that Bartoletti coachwork made at that time a lot of trucks similar each other , for many purposes.
    So this kind of vehicles was commonly used for amusement-parks and carousels movings and this one could be one of these.
    Same thing that made Rolfo with the OM vans (150 and 170) used by Scuderia Ferrari in the sixties.
    These van/trucks were common trucks (hundreds) used for movings , adapted for racing cars purposes.

I'm still waiting for a picture (from Bill Noon) of his 642 RN2 Bartoletti ch.# 003002 .

Ciao

Andrea

16. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I do not have photos that can be publicly shared on either of the SF/SEFAC transporters that we purchased and later sold.

Regards,

Bill

17. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #18 andymont, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    The question now is : how many 642 RN2 Bartoletti there are now ?
    Two were the ex SF/Sefac originally existing (proved).
    Three are the vehicles actually preserved , as reported in this thread.
    Something seems odd.

Ciao

Andrea

18. KJER

KJER Karting

May 30, 2006
    Unless you take the blue/yellow Maserati 642 into account. No evidence has ever been shown or told on this car after 1962 , when it was said to have been sold , crashed in Sicily, and left to rot , as far as I know.

19. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    #20 Kalidengas, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  20. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #21 andymont, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
    Yes , it is the first of the two 642 RN2 Bartoletti open deck of Scuderia Ferrari with (probably but not sure) a 412 MI on the back side .

Ciao

Andrea

21. karmodeler2

karmodeler2 Rookie

May 21, 2009
    Mr Noon,

I am a professional model builder and I wanted to build a detail model of the Fiat transporter. A few years ago I contacted Jon Shirley and he said I could come out and photograph his transporter and he would also get the other one from the other owner and I could photograph them both for my build. Unfortunately, I did not get out in time before he sold his. Is there any way that I could get photos of the undercarriage and the engine compartment as these seem to be the areas you never seen in photos online. I have a blueprint from Mike Sells that gives me the measurements, I just lack photos of the frame and engine. Did this vehicle have air brakes or just hydraulic front and back?
    I fly for the airlines and am a former Air Force Pilot. I live on the east coast (FL) and you may contact me by cell (864) 979 1844 or by email ([email protected]). Thank you for your time and any help you may offer. I have enclosed my site that has my last build posted. It took me close to 1500 hours with a lot of machining and hand fabricating in brass, aluminum, stainless and resin. The real truck is in Canada. Hope you enjoy the pics. Yes, it's a little excessive....but I smile when I say, recognition is the first step to recovery.
    Thanks very much.
    Sincerely,
    David Morton

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Karmodeler2/Singled%20Out/

22. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #23 Bill_OBrien, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Bill, What year did you purchase the transporters?

So there is the Shirley Transporter (#??) , the 'German' Technique Transporter (02989) and the two that Bill mentioned (003001 / 003002) ?? Does anyone that can publically share the photos have picures of 003001 and 003002??

Did Shirley sell his??

23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
  24. horizon

horizon Rookie

Dec 13, 2008
    Mr. O Brian,