Going to Cuba. Which cigars to buy. | FerrariChat

Going to Cuba. Which cigars to buy.

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by RussianM3_dude, Nov 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    It's good being Canadian and Russian. A week all inclusive for peanuts. So which cigars should I buy and how should I transport them back home (I don't smoke, they are for gifts.)

2. jca998

jca998 Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jean C
    Also interested in this information. What is the best way to pack cigars for a flight? How about through the mail? Thanks in advance.

3. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    the cohiba cigars are consistenly high scorers in cigar afficando. castros' favorites were the corona espescial (mine too). partagas is another established cuban brand. beware of counterfeits. the cohiba has a black and yellow checkerboard pattern. the fakes substitue dots. there are portable humidors cases for travel. although the box the came in is fine too. just something sturdy to protect them.

4. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Never, never buy cigars in non-official shops, in the street, or from Cuban "friends". They are ALL counterfeit, and often of very poor quality.

For flight transportation, I leave the boxes unopened and put them in a sealed plastic bag after sprinkling some water inside the bag.

Try different brands. Partagas and Cohiba are the tops (Partagas is more a "manly" cigar), but Romeo y Julieta or La Gloria Cubana (milder) are my favorites.

5. kerns577

kerns577 Karting

Oct 21, 2007
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Sean Kerns
    Cohiba Sublimes, Esplandidos
    H.Upmann Magnum 50
    Partagas Lusitania, 898, Series D #4 or Series D #1 Limited edition 2004 (a personal favorite)
    Trinidad Fundadores
    Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No. 4 ,Romeo y Julieta Hermosos No. 1 (LE 2003)
    Montecristo C (2003), Montecristo Robustos (2006 LE)
    Punch Double Coronas , Punch Punch (corona Gorda)

Here is a short list so to speak. Any of the following are sought after and very desirable amongst some of the finest Cuban Cigars period. Leave the boxes unopened and this should be suffcient for any flight. Purchase only from an authorized Habanos SA. dealer as previously forewarned. Failure to do so will not only prove to be disappointing and embarassing, but additionally a costly error.

6. jca998

jca998 Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jean C
    Which are the best places to purchase them from inside of Cuba? Thanks

7. jca998

jca998 Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jean C
    In Cuba, what have some of you guys paid for a box of real Cohibas from a legitimate store? Thanks

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    fyi I bought a box of cohibas in Canada, I saw the import seal, made me sick as a dog, come to find out they were heavily covered with pesticide. ppl say they dont have the restrictions in cuba as other parts of the world. Of course they could have been counterfeits I don't know

9. mgv1

mgv1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mark V
    I was there about four years ago. Some of the factories actually have stores at the front and you can do tours. There are guides that can help with this and also where to buy real and not fake. Ask at the hotel, I was with about 18 people and the concierge arranged everything. I am no cigar expert but there were aficionados amongst us and they we really happy. I will agree with others that the "street" vendors and small markets looked like good deals but there are fakes.

The locals like to tell you that everyone working at the factory gets a cigar allowance and their brother just so happens to... well, you guess the rest.

I had a blast though, it's truly a most fantastic place and I was so expecting it to be different. If you are single it's even better as you get mugged like a movie star in the clubs.

Have fun, take pictures.

10. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    What, no one likes Bolivar?

11. jca998

jca998 Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jean C
    I'm going for Montecrito , Romeo y Julieta and Cohiba.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Right. I was also going to suggest the factory tours. Among the brands mentioned, the Montecristo #2 (pyramid) is absolutely brilliant if you get a good batch~ how to predict that it virtually impossible, since these are organic things. But, at the price, you should be able to buy a couple boxes and take the risk.
    As to the others, Cohiba, to me, is almost too much the most visible "brand" name.
    Yes, the Robusto is very good, as is the Esplendido; the others, to me, are not as spicy, but I haven't tried all the variations. As to the Partagas, the Luisitania is marvelous; the 898 can be a bit harsh. I also like their "D" (robusto). The PUNCH to me is too mild. I very much like the Bolivars, Belicoso Fino, etc. Very Spicy, delicious.

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ...as though I wrote it myself!

Also, the Sancho Panza Belicosos and Monte 4's make great dailys. :)

14. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Hmm, pesticides are a concern then...

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #16 jimpo1, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. kerns577

kerns577 Karting

Oct 21, 2007
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Sean Kerns
    My error, as I neglected to add Bolivar.
    I truly enjoy the Bolivar Petit coronas, and just purchased a box of the Belicosa Finos that I'm impressed with as well.
    I haven't had a bad Bolivar yet, or do they make one.....