308 17" wheel design | Page 5 | FerrariChat

308 17" wheel design

Discussion in '308/328' started by velocityengineer, Jan 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Jack, not bad photo for cell cam. Anyway your rim sure is preety, are they still available in either 17" or 18"?

2. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    My 308 had 17 inch wheels low profile p zeros and went excellent in years .brilliant improved handling a must and selling on ebay tomorrow!

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Mike,

Thanks!

You can find them on the web:
    www.comp.co uk

I don't see my wheels in their gallery, but if you send them a pic they'll be able to tell you what the chances are, I'm sure.

Good luck!

Jack V.

P.s.: Apologies for side-tracking the thread!

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Anything ever come of this project?

5. detroit

detroit Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    Detroit area
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This was is an interesting thread for me as I looked into doing this last year. Had I known there was this much interest, I might have pursued it a little harder...

6. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.

I agree! I like the first modern interpretation of the wheel. I do wonder if a 17" is also out of proportion with a 44" tall car unless it was really lowered.
    Ciao,
    George

7. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    #107 velocityengineer, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    Hi Mike, nope, it all fell by the wayside as far as I know. I think the wheel company just cant make a business case, and has other priorities.

I should give them a call and see if they would release the design rights back to me.

cheers
    eric

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #108 Mike C, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    I sure wish there was a way to get your design into production for a 17" wheel.

16inch "quality" tires, especially in the common "upsized" mix for stock wheels, are becoming more difficult to find. In fact, at Tire Rack, Fuzion is currently the ONLY company I could find offering both 245/45-16 *and* 225/50-16 sizes in the same model/style tire.

9. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

Velocityengineer...beautiful design. Unfortunate it can't come to design.

In the current market if they could be fit to a civic you'd be a millionaire. Sad thing is there aren't enough of us that both appreciate the design and have the vehicle to fit to. If you ever get this printed in a 16" I'd like to participate...

People like you make progress both challenging and real.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Here's the first set of near replica forged 17"x8" and 17 x 9" wheels I designed for another member just finishing production and ready to ship. Using a 9" rear require that you use after market rear shocks or at least fit aftermarket springs to your oem shocks but 8: will fit all around with everything else stock. I'll post a pic on a car once they arrive.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 18s on my car...not quite as replica but a bit lighter and clear the F430 brakes I have on my car. these can be done 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, 10.0 wide. Either design can be done in either size at if anyone is interested you're looking at about $600/wheel with the current tariffs. [email protected]

Here's the 18s on my car if you missed them.

[​IMG]

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Nice! I had these 17x8/17x9 set custom of made by HRE based on their 505m but with size and offset to fit my car. They're not intended as replicas, but as modern while still "in the family". They fit my Verishock setup without issue... I have no idea if they would have fit with factory shocks but I suspect they would since the offset is at the outer edge consistent with more modern designs.

[​IMG]

More photos of the wheels on my car are on the HRE website:
    https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/ferrari-308-with-hre-vintage-505m-in-satin-silver

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Years ago when I first got the car I put on a set of mille miglia wheel, very flat on front but the issue in back was the rim itself hitting the springs. The OEM 8" is pretty close since I guess the cars were designed for 7" and the 9s hit.....it might be possible to install a 9" without new springs if you have low enough offest but I failed when I tried to keep the outside edge of the wheel about stock.

They were kind of like these...plenty of clearance to the brakes and such, the spring though......

Image Unavailable, Please Login