Song that got you into music | FerrariChat

Song that got you into music

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by GuyIncognito, Dec 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Inspired by agup48....

What's the song that got you into music? The song that first sparked your passion, inspired your creativity, etc etc?

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Hahah, I thought you were joking, well:

Linkin Park: Crawling

and then every other Linkin Park song and then it branched off from there. I was like 11 or 12.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oh, I don't joke about music.

Led Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused

4. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    My dad has always been into Hindi music, has records everywhere in our house. For Indian songs it would be these 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47Tv3cANmc ////Shankar Mahadevan-Breathless (Title is b/c he sings the song pretty much Breathless)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG9Sbg_gkxA ////Colonial Cousins- Krishna ne Begane (I don't know what that means so don't ask, they sing in English for most of the song so some of you might like the lyrics)

5. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    Smoke on the water - Deep purple.

Must have listened to it hundreds of times before I realized I could download other songs. :p

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    When I 1st listened to Metallica's Ride The Lightening when I was around 10 yrs old!! :D:D

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

There have been many iterations of "getting into" music.

As a musician: Rush "YYZ"

As a DJ/Electronic Music Producer: Blue Amazon "No Other Love"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVbH2pkLGM

In general? Hard to say. Lots of songs, actually. The most likely source would be anything noteworthy from 1970-1976.

RMX

8. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    The 1st time I smoked pot & thought I would "freak out" I listened to "Stairway to Heaven". Lying on the floor of a dorm room in the dark I took music to another level. It's just in MY mind tho.

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There was guy in my frat. house, freshman year fall '68, who did the same thing over and over with another early-hardrock song. Still remember him, lying on the floor, speakers next to his ears, volume up full, taking huge pulls on a fat doobie.

I can't name one song, but my appreciation for pop & rock music started in the pre-Beatles era, early '61 on. Too young to be of the '50s Elvis generation.

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I couldn't tell you. I've always been a fan of music.

11. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    That or you're embarrassed. It's okay, what is it, Teletubbies, Sesame Street, Barney? :D

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Whole Lotta Love

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dancing Queen - ABBA

Okay I kid ..I kid...

Highway To Hell - AC/DC . First tape I remember buying...entire album blew me away.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack

GTF outta here?! That was MY first favorite song! I forget which year--mid-70's--but I was in early grade school. I remember my AM radio was a car radio. Not from a car, but a radio inside a model car which was a repro of a 20's era Rolls Royce. But I'll never forget listening for hours waiting for Dancing Queen to come on. Please remember there was a generation gap here...

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    lol.

Teletubbies and Barney was way after my time for kid tv shows. They sucked anyway. Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers is where it's at!

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    In it's entirety, this reel-to-reel tape was my awakening when I was 5 and the release was fresh.

Peter Schickele Presents An Evening with P.D.Q. Bach (1807-1742?)
    http://www.schickele.com/shoppe/pdqrec/evening.htm

Fortunately, Pop collected PDQ Bach and 007 Soundtracks until reels went out of style - man, did we play the hell out of 'em on any given day, while the folks were away...

Got to see and hear a few of PDQ Bach's compositions performed Live about... 21 years ago. Fun, fun night.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, another deep purple fan here.

I've got the (well my dad, but i've copied it atleast 10 times) Live in europe album. My dad always says its extremely rare (hence i copy it so much...:D). Must have heard the album back to back hundreds of times to.

I listen to a lot of different music, always have. So yeah, old rock n roll (deep purple, guns n roses, iron maiden), heavy metal (almost anything), dance, trance, sometimes RnB and the old rap songs sometimes (50 cent, eminem, snoop dogg, pretty much limited to that as i dont like many rap songs). I dont like classical and mariah carey though:)

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Folsom Prison Blues - the first song I learned how to play on guitar. Of course, I was listening to it for the first time some 20 years after its original recording.

19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I kid that it was my first fav song..that WAS Highway to hell by AC DC.

However I am a HUGE ABBA fan. I have bootlegs live dvds, the autobiography, rare import albums...

I believe they are the single greatest pop band of all time.

20. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    Definitely Green Day's Dookie album. I remember buying the CD for something like $25.00 CAD back in the early 90's and listening to it on my Dads 10lb Kenwood CD player :) The following summer our parents picked up a cheap set of drums and a guitar for my brother and I to jam on and pretend to be Green Day. Needless to say, our neighborhood was never the same.

21. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Dreams - Fleetwood Mac. Try listening to it on a warm starry night, motorcycle or fast car with sunroof open (or, even better, in a convertible), glass smooth road with no traffic, going swiftly but not fast, say 90-110. You will feel like you can fly. No drugs needed, though I am sure they would enhance the experience.

Some Duran Duran tunes have the same effect. And some reggae stuff is great too, although it can get monotonous after 8 or 9 songs. These days, I am more into vocals though. Some voices are just heavenly.

I try to capture those sensations when I edit some in-car videos. Music plus motion...nirvana.

22. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Great song!

Another great song!

My "first" was Hotel California. After that the flood gates opened. I listen to everything really, and spent 7 years in the business. Still kinda dabble in it but not much :)

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Another one..... Fragile Yes!

24. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I didn't read it all at first. But even knowing you were kidding, I had to push through with the ABBA props! Shortly after that I was exposed to "real" music. The first albums/8-tracks I remember were

Stones-Hot Rocks & Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
    Zeppelin-IV
    Wings-Venus & Mars
    Janis Joplin
    Journey-Infinity

25. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #25 SDChris, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    I rember the first time I heard Eye of the Tigar, in 1981, and was blown away, I was 6 years old..I listened to it so much I wore the tape out! Then I heard Joy Divison and it was all over! I listened to New Order version of Ceremony everyday for the last 20 years.. :)