Carrozzeria VIGNALE - Ferraris bodied by Vignale | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Carrozzeria VIGNALE - Ferraris bodied by Vignale

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Dec 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 121 LM

121 LM Guest

Dec 4, 2006
    France
    Full Name:
    Antoine Legrand
    Les catégories GT en course de côte itaienne ne permettent de déterminer la capacité du moteur. Elle doit courrir dans la classe 1500cc à 2500cc (166 ou 195 Inter)

Attendons Mr Massini, il pourra confirmer.

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    All Vignale pictures are special. just one man's opinion tongascrew

3. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #178 360gtracer, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103738&highlight=0313

Marcel states that my father, George H. Parker, owned this car while living in N. Syracuse, NY. Actually, Dad lived in Rome, NY (working at Rome Air Development Center, Griffiss AFB). When I provided these pics to Marcel, *I* was living in N. Syracuse. Just a small confusion, but I thought Marcel would like to correct his records.

Many of those pictures were taken by my father when he owned the car, and the story of that ownership was detailed in the FCA publication Prancing Horse, #125. The attached picture was taken by one of my father's friends, Ted Edmunds. Ted gave this picture, as an 8x10 color glossy, to Dad, who gave it to me. Over the years, time took its toll on the print, but through the magic of Photoshop, I was able to clean up some of the defects and crop out some of the not-so-attractive fore/backgrounds. This is my favorite picture of 0313EU as it shows the aggressiveness of Michelotto's design. If only money were no object for me.....

Thanks,

George R. Parker
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Beautiful car, beautiful photo.

Thanks for sharing with us, George.

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #180 Ed Niles, Dec 18, 2008
    I got a laugh out of Bjoern's post, and I'm sure that Anton (Tony) did, too. Three of us (Tillack was the third) took 0272M (an open car), 0170ET, and 6109, a Michelotti 330 with a soft top, to that Barrett-Jackson auction, and got caught in a big storm. We expected Tony, driving what was nominally the most weather-proof car, would be happy. But water poured in everywhere, especially through the floor-boards. It was a toss-up who was the most soaked. All in all, a very unhappy venture, as it was before Ferraris became auction darlings, and none sold. Here's a pic of 2 of the 3, waiting to go across the stage

6. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Beautiful car, just perfect

7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I think you speak of the gorgeous Vignale Coupe 625 TF misidentified as a 500 Mondial in the Batchelor's book. One of my favourite car !!!

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    With the super-clean images and beautifully designed settings of today, we often forget that not-so-attractive fore/backgrounds make old pictures what they are! I have recently noticed that many mags don't publish old photos anymore, because they are not "up to the standard readers expect" (the real reason being the 20-year old dude using the Mac thinks old pics are just crap). That's sad. Best wishes, Kare

9. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    #184 jhjvdm, Dec 18, 2008
  10. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Perhaps so.

Well, it could not have become one of your favorite cars, without having seen or read about it (including the type correction), so spill the information ;) Where are there more pictures of this car (online or published)?

As distinctive as that car must be (4 cylinder berlinetta) I'm somewhat surprised that Mr. Massini hasn't responded with, at least some information about it.

But I'm patient ;)

11. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    #186 richardowen, Dec 18, 2008
  12. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    Amazing photo of the Vignale driving next to the cliff. Would take guts to drive along side the drop off, specially with drum brakes. Looks like an unpaved road.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #188 kare, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    It is not a very big mistake, as 625/TF used an enlarged 500-engine. It is an amazingly beautiful car, but I think the problem was there was not enough room inside. That may explain why none of the three coupes (2 x 166MM/53 and a 625TF) survived. Best wishes, Kare

14. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I completely agree with you, Kare. In the original print, the background was especially distracting from the car. I think I left enough to get the feel for the setting, but still show the car for what it is. As I said, it's my favorite photo of that car, though perhaps makes the car more attractive than it deserves (I've always loved it for its uniqueness). I hope that someday I can see and touch this car.

Thanks all,

George Parker

15. 121 LM

121 LM Guest

Dec 4, 2006
    France
    Full Name:
    Antoine Legrand
    #190 121 LM, Dec 23, 2008
  16. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    That's such a gorgeous little car! I think the black roof makes it even more attractive.
    As I remember, it had two or three problems, all of which had to do with rain. First, it had a plexi windscreen so I was told not to use the wipers on pain of death! Second, when the brakes got wet they were virtually useless. On the way home we stopped for gas not far out of Scottsdale and I overshot the gas station by a block. It had started to rain and pushing the brake pedal produced a low moaning noise and very little else. I forget what the third problem was so it must have been trivial.
    Great fun.
    Anton

17. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    #192 Yquem, Dec 23, 2008
    For more profound education purposes hereby a picture of how the old Vignale workshops from the fifties looks like today.
    These 2 pictures are taken last week at Via Cigliano, downtown Torino.
    Funny thing is that at the next intersection it crosses Corso Belgio, let me say this is a tribute to Princessa Liliane de Réthy (0359 GT)! (because she was Belgian)
    We even visited the Mole Antonelliana, the tower of Torino, only because this is what inspired Mr. Vignale to create his badge! :)
    The next day I bought M. Massini's book "Ferrari by Vignale" .....in Maranello....

Credit for the pics goes to Fchatter Bertus.

18. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #193 dretceterini, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
    This Fiat 8V #000052, Motore # 000087 is by Vignale. The car was built in 1954. The photos are of the car as built (much better looking, IMO), and with it's nose after a crash, circa 1957 (the photos of the post-1957 version are recent)

The car as built:

[img=http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8854/fiat8vvignale1sv2.th.jpg]

The car after the crash:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/garage/2068/vignale_fiat_8v.htm

I posted these photo links because I find the 1st version of the car very attractive, and it's fitrs in with the Vignale Ferraris of this period.

19. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Does anybody know what is this building used for today?
    Thanks.
    Regards.
    Cris.-

20. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz

A bit OT but would you have also some photos of the blue F40 seen in the background?

21. drakefan

drakefan Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2008
    Hi Marcel,I want you to inform as first as regards this great event on 2009! the Archivio Ufficiale Vignale...this will be a great possibility
    for the enthusiastics Ferrari Vignale bodied to have docs under the authorization of the Vignale Family which has his private archives..I'll let you know about the update of this great vintage lusso car event.
    Ciao,
    Mari

22. ZX6R

ZX6R Rookie

Nov 18, 2006
    Roma - Italy
    Full Name:
    Lelio
    #197 ZX6R, Dec 24, 2008
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0289 EU.
    Marcel Massini

24. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I have one (not so good) picture of this car.
    In the F40 pictures thread (showroom) there will probably be some pictures of this blue F40.
    Fantastic colour for an F40, I think!!

25. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie