Replacement of the CC-Brake discs of a Challenge Stradale necessary! | FerrariChat

Replacement of the CC-Brake discs of a Challenge Stradale necessary!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Giallo77, Dec 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    After only 15'000 miles my dealer says that I will have to replace not only the CC brakepads but also the disks which will cost well over $ 17'000! I have done quite some trackdays but not in a very aggressive driving style. The system reads out 118% wear of the disks.

I do not understand this because one can read in numerous articles that the life span of a CC-Brake is four to six times longer in comparison to a regular steel brake. It is clear that on the racetrack the brakes will suffer much more but not to the extent that you have to replace the whole system after only 1000 - 1500 miles on track - and just for fun, not in a race!

Apparently there is a precise instruction in the workshop manual how to brake in the system. Doing so an organic resin will extravasate which builds up a protective layer between pads and disk. It is important not to clean the wheels with an aggressive wheel cleaner which could wash off this layer!

I consider now to replace the brake system with a high-performance steel brake system which would cost about 50% of the CC-price but I do not know if such conversions do exist for the Challenge Stradale on the market (max be the "gran turismo"-kit of Brembo?). Some suggestions?

Thank you! Beat

2. scifoso tifoso

scifoso tifoso Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Full Name:
    John G
    "brake" out the checkbook...doing any aftermarket brakes kills your resale...and the resale on that car is HIGH.

why ruin a good thing?

sounds like you track the car too, and you will have to brake much earlier on the track. you will end up hating the driving style you will have to adapt to now.

you have ferrari sticker shock. we all get it. just one of the many 'joys' of owning a fcar.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Drive to England soon and you could maybe have it done much cheaper until the exchange rate catches up !

4. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    This is not first time i read this about CC brakes...... :(

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    this doesn't sound right to me. the disks should last a very long time. numerous track days will wear out pads faster, but the disks should still last a very long time. the dealer may be "mistaken". i'd contact a ferrari factory representative and ask for them to review the findings.

6. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    The challenge cars have a different algorithm as far as I know, but the road car does have its own. I had 20K on my CS when I sold it, had done a bunch of track stuff, but still had plenty of rotor life left.

In my challenge car I went through a bunch of rotors this year 3 sets of Fronts and 2 sets of rears. The check the brake ware indicators in Tech inspection and check serial numbers on rotors on a regular basis. I have on rotor I'm making into a clock :)

You could certainly put steel brakes on the car, I'm sure the 360 Challenge brakes would be a good starting point. But I'm sure it will hurt resale. You could always just continue to run the rotors, but a failure will mean a rotor explosion which would be "interesting" on the track...

7. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I believe there's a service bulletin for the CS that changes the brake wear algorithm to be more forgiving.

8. NicolasRubio

NicolasRubio Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    Buenos Aires, Argent
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Rubio
    See if you can fit Scud's brakes! :twisted:

9. chrisoutzen

chrisoutzen Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    sudbury
    I put the 360 challenge steel brakes on my CS. The CC will go back on when I sell it (which is a long time away.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason I did the steel swap was that after a red flag at LCMT my front left rotor cooked away its carbon fiber and left just a very ceramic surface.

[​IMG]

A red flag means you have to stop (safely) on the track. This did not allow me to cool my brake properly.

FWIW I have found that the steel brakes are just as good as the CC's. They do make a lot of noise and brake dust. BTW, the steel rotors cost about $300. CC's are in the $6000 to $8000 range each.

10. kjb374

kjb374 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    Cars with the CC brake option will also have additional electronics that will let you know when the rotors need to be replaced. Apparently a light will illuminate on the dash. The computer takes into account the heat cycles that are put on the rotors. Remember, rotor thickness is not what is used to determine wear on CC rotors! It has to do with the physical properties of the rotor itself and the heat cycles that are put on the rotor. These are exactly the reasons that I did not purchase the CC option on my car. If one tracks the car and is fully accepting of the costs associated with brake/rotor replacement, then CC brakes are great!

11. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    So essentially >1 yr worth of track day will cost as much as a dedicated track car plus mods. You can buy a track ready Miata, 200SX, Civic and MR-2's for the price of a CC brakes replacement. (of course, $17k might be worth the money for those who can really appreciate the difference btw steel brakes and CC system.)

12. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.

Interesting observation. I love the technology of carbon brakes, but...

Gary

13. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    It seems an extra $1 per mile for civilian would make the CC cars worth less, at least to me.

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I didn't get CC's on my 430 even though I love the looks and do some tracking. 1. I could buy a new Civic for the price of the option. 2. They would bring little or no extra on resale and 3. replacement is extremely expensive and now it appears that they do not last as long as we were originally led to believe.

Dave

15. k4site

k4site Rookie

Oct 3, 2006
    The Porsche people have the same problem. I think that they have three generations of PCCB's, the 1st Gen was crap , third was alot better.

16. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    Ferrari could teach the guys on wall street a thing or three on scamming!

17. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    #18 Giallo77, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The German tuning firm Novitech has offered to me a complete high performance steel set for about 60% of the price for a replacement kit CC of Ferrari. The set of Novitech is made by Brembo as well and should offer similar performance and looks - at least for a non-professional pilot!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    who ever said you would not like the steel brakes after driving the CC ones hasn't ever driven both on track. There is a small difference, but not significant. Many porsche guys shelf their CC systems for steel ones on the track. Just more cost effective. Race team edge vs track day cost effectiveness aren't the same thing.

However, dealers tell you parts need to be replaced way before they actually need to. Do you have heat or stress cracks in the rotors? Are you having pedal issues coming from a smaller heat sync from a thinner rotor? If not, I'd assume you have more life left and the dealer is telling you a little earlier than necissary.

19. kjb374

kjb374 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    Nevertheless, I think anyone with an endless supply of funds would opt for the CC over steel! The ONLY reason I chose not to go with the CC is solely due to cost. I think the main reason teams remove the CC brakes and adapt the steel rotors is also due to cost or CC may not be allowed in their class of racing. Put simply, the CC brakes are superior to steel in all measures except cost. If it wasn't, our F1 friends would not be using them. Only my 2 cents.

20. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    pad options are limited in CC. F1 makes their own, so it does't really matter that much. But there aren't a lot of options for temp range or feel for CC kits. I know more than one team that prefers the feel and control they can get our of steel brakes in comparision to the CC ones. This is of course related to money - if they had more test dollars and R&D spend, then I'm sure the carbon would come out on top - but in the real world, few people work with limitless budgets on money and time...