Fchat= best car blog? | FerrariChat

Fchat= best car blog?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cosmicdingo, Dec 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    I say yar, becasue it's pretty comprehensive and fair. NOT bum kissing, but how many other brand blogs throw in a Muscle car blog, or blogs for competionion, like Porsce or Lambo? The mods here do a good job, and the capitol of Nebraska is Lincoln. Merry Christmas.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The first thing you should consider is this: FerrariChat is not a blog.

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    No.

Because it is NOT a blog.

{Edit: Scott beat me to it!}

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No because its not the best. This place is contaminated with more wanabees than any other car site I frequent. This tips the reality scale in the wrong direction. The best part of F-chat is the technical help, the second best part is the racing section. What's left is mostly a lot of noise.

5. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    Okay, Forum. Geeez.

6. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    whatever it is, it's pretty cool

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What car do you race ?

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    OOh, OOh, I wannabeee a car racer too. How do I do that, technically speaking???
    :D
    BT

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What other car sites do you frequent? Which ones are the best? Tech and racing are OK, so Vintage, other model specific, Business & Investments, and all the regional areas mostly noise?

I see you don't subscribe, so FerrariChat.com isn't worth the $0.00? :)

10. swaq

swaq Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    Starkville, MS
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I've recently been visiting http://thetruthaboutcars.com for automotive related news. Seems to do a pretty good job of telling it like it is.

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This is the only car site I visit anymore.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Rob sorry if I don't think F-Chat is the best. That's my opinion and as I mentioned in the post it has more to do with the amount of non-owners that frequent this site. I have the same username on Benzworld and find their community to be a bit more mature. I have rarely if ever encountered a worthless wannabee post on that site. To me, its about relevance about Ferraris. Investments, local watering holes, blustering, etc, are noise to me. And if it doesn't cost anything to subscribe to F-Chat, I must have missed that email so please resend it and I will be glad to "subscribe".

Happy Holidays,

Andy

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think it's $15 a year to subscribe. Not big money (well, maybe for wannabes...)

Yes, there's a lot of noise. But if you post a question you will almost always get a real answer from an owner, mixed in with the usual b.s., mixed in with ten smiley posts from Pap :). Exotic cars seem to attract a lot of poseurs, so you're going to have to sift through it. When you get into the specific model sections, especially, I don't think there's a better source for information from owners around the country and world.

If you hang out here long enough it's pretty easy to separate the owners from the talkers, IMO.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have no argument against the Benz site. I would imagine that is a very mature group. So you say FerrariChat has more "wanabees" than any other sites you visit, so what are those other sites besides Benz? Any Porsche, Lamborghini, or import related sites?

We do have an owner's only forum on FerrariChat.com now for subscribed users that get verified by at least 3 other users. That is a wannabe free zone, except I do admit some of us 328 owners do wanna 275 GTB and as a Challenge racer I wannabe a F1 driver. :)

90% of everything on FerrariChat.com is free and doesn't require a subscription. My point was imply you have enjoyed over 1,000 posts without cost (and I have no issue with that), so it can't be all that bad for you.

15. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    90% of everything on FerrariChat.com is free and doesn't require a subscription. My point was imply you have enjoyed over 1,000 posts without cost (and I have no issue with that), so it can't be all that bad for you.[/QUOTE]

Well said.
    MB

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The Yahoo Groups Lotus Europa site is the only other car site I visit, and it's far less comprehensive than here as far as catagories. It's mainly for technical help which is invaluble for owners, and pretty boring unless you are considering buying one. Everyone there works on their own car so you get a lot more posts with technical expartice for each question than FChat, which relies on a far fewer number of actual mechanics for advice. But of course, FChat covers many models and that site is really just three.

Naturally we have no posers....who would be sick enough to pretend to own a Lotus Europa???

Ken

17. ejc0930

ejc0930 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Ethan Clark
    I don't think its fair to lump all of us non-owners together in a group. Sure, there are some bad apples but there are plenty of owners on this site who contribute equally or less than some of the passionate non-owners..Just my $00.02 . :)

I do love this site though. Very informative if you can pick through some of the garbage.

18. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    #18 J. Salmon, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    I am a total Fchat addict. I also keep up with:

audiworld: Good info for model specific, but not much action there. The R8 section is like a big empty warehouse.
    GT40s: 'cause I am building one. Mature, lots of great info, obviously a smaller crowd.
    Lotustalk: Now that I don't have one, I don't go there.
    FFCobra.com: Again, now that we are long done building, I never go there. Why....?

Fchat is more than just a forum for finding out technical stuff or model specific info. I have found it to be the best bunch of like-minded (or at least similar) enthusiasts on any of the online forums. Sure, it's a big group, so you have a lot of "noise", but to me it is more like the noise at a giant gathering of car nuts: lots of tall tales and stories and likes and dislikes. The background banter is what keeps people around so that when you are stuck under the car with a wrench, there is somebody around to help. There aren't too many people who just want to sit online and wait for another timing belt question. You see a lot of folks who don't yet or don't still own a ferrari; I don't think they are posers or a nuisance, but a testament to the strength of the site.

And while I am thinking about it, what is the final word on how often I should have my timing belt changed?

19. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #19 tuttebenne, Dec 19, 2008
    I'm fresh out of Lambos or Porsches so I don't have a reason to frequent their sites. But in addition to the four Benzes, I have a Nissan in the family as well as a Dodge Neon and have used sites associated with them. Not too many wannabees on the Neon site I can assure you :) If your point is that Porsche and Lambo sites have just as many wannabees, you might be right but I wouldn't know; I'm only commenting from the sites I use but would be interested in hearing from Rennlist users as to the wannabe presence there.

I didn't know this so maybe there is a chance I might subscribe one day.

I'm not sure where I left the impression its been bad - my opinion was that it wasn't the best. Admittedly however, I have used F-Chat to post over 1,000 times, but a review will reveal that my "enjoyment" of F-chat includes providing advice - both technical and non-technical. And I'm fine with that.

So have a great holiday season and I hope Santa leaves the keys to a long nose 275 GTB4 on the mantle.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Many of us have been here way before there was a charge to be a member. It has been discussed and argued to death whether it is better now vs then. I understand the name Ferrari stirs up certain passions and jelousy, so as the site grew it changed IMO from a current-owner/currently-looking-to-buy site to more-or-less an exotic car site. The people I have met are all from years ago and this without question is the best part of this site.

Rob, to you I would imagine it is now a better business. I like it, but I agree there is an extreme amount of interference.

I also am a member of the GT40 site which is very professional and informative as i gather info on different mfgs + Jaglovers which is very focused.

21. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    No, not the best forum, not even close. But however it is good.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    which ones are the best? we can always make FerrariChat better.

23. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    WADR. The capital of Nebraska is Lincoln, NE. The Capitol is in Lincoln. One is a city and the other is a building. Sorry about that.

24. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Well considering we are the most comprehensive on Ferraris that means we have to be the best :)

25. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #25 ZINGARA 250GTL, Dec 19, 2008
    So true. Anyone who doubts it should go to that other site. It's sort of like walking through Virginia City, NV in a snow storm.