Ferrari 360 Crash (In Car Video) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Crash (In Car Video)

Discussion in '360/430' started by modena, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Sudbury...how funny. I cannot belive it...this is our home track in SC. Some very interesting things happen out there, and they've done a great job opeing up the turns sicne this video.

2. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Wow, that's impressive driving. Nothing like watching a pro driver drive it correctly. Amazing amount of steering input and that only comes with years in the seat. Yup, I pretty much suck compared to that.

3. Design Slave

Design Slave Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'll have a crack.

First of all it's wet. The driver doesn't know the road (not going around a track with same corners over and over). You can tell he's driving right on the edge of his capacity/ability.

The first thing you can hear is the constant adjustment of the throttle. It's not a smooth adjustment either, rather a 'stabbing' and a large one at that. (Smooth is fast, not this jerky stuff). You can tell the driver's hesitant, always wanting to go back to his perceived full throttle. When in the wet, everything has to be smooth, if you find you're going too fast, try and steer your way out of it (no breaks and no sudden acceleration), same for going too slow, speed up gradual, don't try stab the car back up to top speed.

So the bad scene is set and then he makes a critical mistake. Already carrying some speed into a shallow corner, he down-shifts (while in the turn??), revs go up and consequently the rear wheel revolutions. He didn't need to downshift, the rev band was delivering enough power for the corner at his speed. In the turn the car is experiencing lateral G-forces, add the increased rear wheel revolutions and the car breaks free. I don't hear him lift when the car starts to go sideways, I hear him hit the horn as he tries to counter steer out of it.

Sky, ground, trees, clouds... ad luckily no ambulance.

This driver needs some lessons bad. Fast driving is not 'white knuckling it'.

4. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    I think he made the same mistake as me in the wet, having a too high gear for the conditions. It sounds like he changed into 3rd just before the corner and then into second. Too many revs, instead of braking before the corner he has used the revs to slow down. As the road was wet the back end has flipped out. I guess he had sports mode on too. In the dry that would have been ok but too much power to the rear in the wet in a ferrari can produce the back whipping out like that.

5. hhh

hhh Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    The first two video's is simply too much power and not enough experience.
    Both cases driver error; people forget that traction control etc doesn't help when you are going far too fast or if you make mistakes.
    Many cars today are too powerful and too fast for most of their drivers.
    There is nothing wrong with the 360 Modena and for normal fast driving it certainly doesn't need a wing, it just needs drivers that know the limits of the car and their own limits. Don't be fooled by "driver aids"

6. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    #31 Jompen, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    Main reason is wet road. Second reason is poor driver´s skill.

Don´t go to fast when it´s wet, no CST will help you. I´ve done alot of wet track driving in 360, CS and 430. Small mistake and you spin.

I would also guess tires wasn´t perfect and probably cold as well. it´s VERY easy to loose tha rear of a 360 when it´s wet if you make a mistake. and basically impossible to recover.

7. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    He is playing, he is to early and to heavy on the throttle in most corners and ofc the rear will get out. To be fast you want to minimize your slide. he is driving to have fun, not to be as fast as possible.

8. chrisoutzen

chrisoutzen Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    sudbury
    Actually, Spencer teaches that early is the fastest way around a track. This is probably only true if you have his car-control. Being early allows him to get on the throttle hard, early. He uses his car control to keep car on the track.