In defense of RED | FerrariChat

In defense of RED

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheMayor, Dec 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I debated and debated about the color I should choose for my F430 before I ordered it. I searched every photo here on F-chat, as well as Ebay, and Hemmings.com looking for different color combinations and ideas. I think I did this for months along while playing around with the car configurator endlessly.

In the end and after all that, I went with Red and Tan with Red inserts in the Daytonas. Ok, I know Red/Tan is very common but it's what I wanted. So shoot me. I thought it was a cop out choice at the time but when I saw the car in person, I knew I made the right choice for me.

Now, I know (especially in LA) that it seems like every Ferrari you see is red also. And, many F-chatters like to see other colors than red. I actually agree with them. Some non-red colors are just amazing and the F430 does seem to work with many great combinations. If I were really bold, I might have gone with Abudabi Blue or White or something other than Rosso Corsa.

Well, recently for the winter, I sent the car to Vegas. There I found that people (tourists from all over and the locals) who see it just LOVE Red. To the average guy on the street, RED is what they WANT to see on a Ferrari. I can't tell you how many people compliment the car and tell me how much they like the color. I ask them if I made the right color choice and everyone looks at me like nuts for even asking. It's like they've never seen a red car before.

I supposed there is this univeral fantasy to most about owning a "Red Ferrari" that sticks in people's heads. It's funny to see different people's reaction to the same thing in different markets.

So, my defense of red is that it's what a lot of ordinary people like, including me (and as owner I'm the most important after all!).

Bravo, Red Ferrari owners! Stand up and take a bow in front of the masses!

2. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    Hey buy what you like. Its YOU who should enjoy it, anyone added to that is just a bonus :)

3. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    Right on! Mines red/tan too. Love rosso corsa.

4. Green

Green Karting

Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Red/Tan FTW!!

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yea, really its all about your choice and I am glad you are enjoying your red Fcar!!!!! :)

For me I really wanted black or yellow and a lot of people were surprised I did not own a "red" Ferrari. In the end it is always a personnel decision and I will always get what I would prefer!

Congrats!! Any pics???!!!!!

Robert

6. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I've owned two Ferraris, both Red/Tan. Why, because that's what I wanted.

When you spend this kind of money, you need to buy something you're happy with. Each time you walk into your garage, you don't want regrets about the car you really wanted.

Don't worry about what anyone on this forum or elsewhere thinks.

For me... 2nd choice would be TDF Blue, but a distant 2nd after Red.

Congrats.
    Frank

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I just confirmed my 16M in Rosso Corsa. That is a colour that you can never tire of.

8. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Agree, it's what YOU would like to enjoy, as opposed to what other people WANT to see you in. Who's car is it if you're only out to impress other people?

9. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

Regards,

Stew

10. mnk303

mnk303 Rookie

Jan 20, 2008
    Was
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I sometimes think Red is what I should ahve gone for and certainly as far as cleaning is concerned, but for me Black is always my first choice, true it does show any ripple in the metal work that was there from the manufacturer when they make the panels by hand but it just ozzes class especially with Yellow Calipers

11. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    When people think of Corvettes and Ferraris the first thing that comes to mind is red...

and let's not forget that it's always called "resale red" for a reason.

I always wanted my first Corvette to be red and my first Ferrari to be red. After the first one then you can go with whatever color.

Red is just always the classic color for these cars.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Frank

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    I agree with red-tan on the 355-360-430 ferraris..i was never crazy about vette red...mine were silver and then jet black.....

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, if I see it moving through traffic in TST, then I know it is YOU. Congrats on the 16M! That's fantastic.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Your car, your money, your choice. As others have posted, red/tan is the safest resale color, so you don't have to defend your choice on any grounds.

My fantasy Ferrari is a black Daytona, FWIW.

Not long ago I met up with FChat'er 3forty8 in his red car, and I had my black metallic 328 next to his near Starbucks. We were going to a photoshoot with FChat'er DMoore's 355. A middle aged couple in a minivan parks nearby, gets out, and the guy points to the red 348 immediately and says it's his favorite because Ferraris are supposed to be "candy apple" red. So I think most people would agree with you about red.

15. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    AMEN to that Brother! I will get a different color Ferrari when I add a second to the stable, but there is just nothing like a Red Ferrari screaming up the street in your direction! Let's face it, when 99% of the public sees a Ferrari they simply expect it to be Rosso Corsa. The F1 team may think there are some other cool colors too, but last time I checked they deck the top Ferrari's in the world....in RED!!!
    MB

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I had to wait almost 2 years for my car so all I had was time to consider all the different choices. I searched the Internet and magazines looking for that perfect color combo.

After I got my car, I took it up to Monticito and stopped at a little Italian place for lunch. An elderly man and has wife walked over to my car as I was getting out. He said very loudly to me," Now that is how it is supposed to be!"

(Red over tan daytona seats)

17. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It doesnt matter how common Rosso Corsa over Tan is, its traditional. Looks great on any Ferrari, new or old. Its always nice to see Ferrari owners who change it up a bit, buy you cant argue against the classic Red over Tan.

Bianco Fuji over Nero with White stitching
    Ball-Polished Challenge rims with Red calipers

Haha in my dreams, would love to see one though..

-Chris

18. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    Well, it's quite Christmasy too, and certainly better than green.

19. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i was in italy at the time i was placing the order for my first ferrari (a 2000 360 modena). i was wrestling with the color, so i asked every italian i ran into for advise. it was funny because not one of them even hesitated for one second. RED!

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I was searching for my first ferrari (a 308) I wanted red/tan. Over the years and 7 more Ferraris they have all been red though somewhat that's just what I found that worked. When hunting for a 328 GTB, I found a couple in silver and even tried one out but the red interior put me off. If I had found a silver one with black, tan or even blue interior, I'd probably own it because they show exceptionally well in that color. I also really like black but where I live, dust and rock chips are a part of life. When it came time to order my 430, I wanted Fiorano red only to find out it was discontinued. I don't like yellow or white and just had 4 silver cars in a row. Titanium was popular, but I was getting sick of it. I really like TDF blue but it's almost as difficult as to care for as black and I actually think it looks better on 550/575's than on 360/430's. So, it was red almost by default with tan leather and black carpets and piping. I skipped the extended leather because that would leave it with very little black inside. Red is a great color on most Ferraris and is the most popular for a reason.

Dave

21. herragge

herragge Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Alberta
    Rosso Scuderia checking in. Love the color of my 430. A very iconic and traditional red. All the Ferrari's I've owned have been red except I have owned a Testarossa that was Canary yellow which was also gorgeous.

I personally, would never, ever do black. Way to plain for a Ferrari. Classy? More like boring to me, but thats just me, there are always going to be black on black lovers.

Merry Christmas everyone!

22. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Its only Ferrari being allowed to be red!

...and Rosso Scuderia is the way to go.

Merry X'mas guys,

23. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA

I agree. I never liked black for a Ferrari. Not saying it looks bad, it just doesn't do the cars justice, IMO. Though I normally like a black Porsche or Lamborghini, I never felt that a Ferrari's lines were well represented by black. Not to mention that a lot of the details - vents, intakes, etc. - are all but lost.

A red Ferrari, however, looks terrific. Yet, I don't think it's the best choice for Ferrari's more conservative models (e.g. the 400/412, 456, 612, etc.).

24. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine is rosa corsa over tan with black seat inserts and stitching. I love it. My 360 was Grigio Alloy and I like it to but not as much as the red. My TT is black on black and my SL65 is black on black. The Ferrari had to be red.

25. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    GO RED! Tan seats, black inserts/stitching/piping/daytona seats with matching bench. Best color combo IMO.