Need a huge favor from a 308 brother in NJ! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Need a huge favor from a 308 brother in NJ!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, Nov 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

One of the coolest threads Ive read on F-Chat.

"its more than just a car"

2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Clyde, you never cease to amaze me. A great loyal friend + contributor. Wish I knew about this thread when we went to dinner the other night..

Great thread.

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Bird,

Don't forget -- We need pictures of the Xmas Day Gifting ceremony!!!!! Can't wait to see the grin on his face (he better like it, or else!! LOL).

Steve

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Griffith,
    Thanks for the google link. Great satellite image! I'm not doing any polishing. I doubt my dad will either. It's not polished on the plane so that wouldn't be authentic. The prop is too authentic as is to polish it. It would be profane--like polishing 308 wheels!

Steve, I will get pics!

5. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I believe this thread gives everyone just a taste of the great guys out there and what we have going on up here in New England. Birdman is one of our "Ring Leaders".

6. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    Hi,
    I'd be delighted to do that for you. The only problem is that I can't get there before Chrstmas. I'm in LI and live in MD, and I'm in NJ on a regular basis. If you want, I can get it for you and then you can either give it to him as a belated Christmas present, birthday or fathers day gift, whichever comes first.

RMGaiss

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    RM, thanks for the offer, but we got it!

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Everyone,
    Christmas day update! The prop was presented and my dad was definitely surprised! He said "This is definitely the coolest Christmas present ever!"

I think he is planning some major bragging to his fellow Caribou breathren. ;)

Pics to come!

Birdman

9. CarmelFerrari

CarmelFerrari Karting

Apr 24, 2008
    All,

living on the west coast, I've been hitting the website all day for an update, just a wonderful story, and if there is ever a Ferrari "Days before Christmas" story, I think the storyboard for that play/poem has just been written,,,,

Have a very Merry Christmas and thanks for the warm, heartfelt story,,,, yeah, it's cold here too, 46 degrees and we're freez'in....

10. peterb@petester.com

Dec 25, 2008
    #60 [email protected], Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gentlemen -

This is the Birdman's father; the recipient today of quantity one each prop blade, deHavilland DHC-4A/C-7A Caribou (Hamilton Standard 43D50-651). As has been noted in several posts, you guys do rock. You have no idea how much that old blade means to a guy whose life depended on six of them for year in Vietnam. I can't claim to be a Ferrari enthusiast, but I think my son has enough enthusiam on that front for both of us. That blade, along with two others was attached (quite securely) to a hydromatic variable pitch and full-feathering hub. The prop assembly (now about 13 feet in diameter) was then fitted to a tapered splined shaft close to 6" in diameter that came out of a 2:1 planetary reduction gear. The other end of the gearset was the crankshaft of a 2000 cubic inch Pratt & Whitney R2000-7M2 14 cylinder radial engine that produced 1450 HP at 2700 RPM and 50" of manifold boost. With its two engines, the aircraft could easily operate in and out of very forward fields that were often 1,000 feet or less in length. Although air shows give a hint of the short field performance, they simply no longer are able to fly them the way we did in Vietnam. deHavilland designed the DHC-4A/C-7A specifically for rough and short field work. The landing gear and wing structure was designed for touchdown sink rates about 50% greater than most convential aircraft, so our assault landings were more like controlled crashes than anything one might associate with an airplane landing. By getting the props in full reverse before the nose gear even touched down, you could actually stop one in about 300 feet.
    Despite the fact that it was arguably one of the ugliest and unganely of all USAF aircraft of the era, there was something about it that touched almost everyone who flew it. It has been more than 30 years, now, but I am the President of the C-7A Caribou Association, which still has almost 800 active members (http://www.c-7acaribou.com/). I have flown faster than the speed of sound, I have flown the Lockheed C-141A Starlifter all over the world, and I spent years flying all variations of the B-727 for Eastern Air Lines, but none of those machines formed a bond with the man like the lowly Caribou did. None of us really understand why that is, but we accept it.
    I am happy to report that the blade is now in my basement and ready to be cleaned up. It would be a travesty to polish it, so I will leave it largely as it is, complete with the worn off yellow tip paint and partially worn off Hamilton Standard decal, for that is exactly the way they looked in Vietnam after churning up a lot of that red dirt. I have attached a photo I took at Ban Me Thuot East in 1971 that shows the aircraft in its proper war paint.
    For those of you who helped with this project, thanks so much for making an old airplane driver very happy this Christmas!

Peter Bird (The original Birdman!)

Once Upon A Time Long Ago
    Capt, USAF
    535th TAS / 483rd TAW
    Cam Ranh Bay, RVN
    And Bou Driver Extraordinaire
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Awesome. This was a great thread, so be sure to post them.

12. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Merry Christmas Peter - Great thank you note and I'm sure much appreciated by all those who followed the thread. I was there for the delivery and it was a fun event.

All the best to you and the other Bou Drivers,

Richman

13. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    What an awesome thread.......

And a great story!

14. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it all turned out. What a great story!

15. 4580@USNA

4580@USNA Rookie

Dec 26, 2008
    What an adventure! You folks are the greatest. The Caribou prop was a huge hit for the Birdman's dad at their Christmas festivities. He is the President of the C-7A Caribou Association which is a fraternal organization of Vietnam veterans who flew, maintained, or were involved with USAF Caribou operations in Vietnam between 1966 and 1972. He's an aviation nut and couldn't wait to share his excitement about getting that prop. What a display, almost as good as having the bird parked in the driveway.

Thanks to all of you who helped make this happen. I followed the trail of messages (after the fact) and you folks certainly stepped up and hit one out of the park. Check the website (http://www.c-7acaribou.com/news/newsletter.htm) in the Spring when the next newsletter is posted. It will have an article about this outstanding Ferrari-Caribou adventure.

Pat Hanavan
    Newsletter editor
    C-7A Caribou Association

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #66 Birdman, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Everyone,
    This morning, the kids are playing with all their new toys (which have taken over the entire downstairs), and I got some time with the computer so I could post some pics. My dad definitely didn't see this one coming, in spite of my lame and not very effective wrapping/camouflage technique! The prop blade was too big and heavy to wrap easily, so I stood it up in a corner, draped some wrapping paper around it, and prayed it didn't fall over and kill anyone!

I have warned my dad that after all this effort, he better come up with a good display and not leave it in the basement! :D

Here's some pics!

Thanks again for all of your help and warm wishes! Christmas morning was so much fun and all of you helped make it happen!

Best,
    Jonathan

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I missed this post before! David is right....if you work on your own Ferrari, New England is the best place to be. Ferrari Fix It Club rules!! :D As for me being the ringleader....hmmmm.....not sure if I deserve that title. But I am definitely one of the bad influences! ;) (And proud of it!) We have an awesome group of guys up here and we do lots of fun (and often unnecessary) work on our cars all throughout the year. Anyone that is ever in the neighborhood, drop one of us a line. We'll hand you a wrench and a beer! :)

Jonathan

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Dad,
    Great write up on the Caribou!! I'm struck by this:

For the 308 guys...that's ~32.7 liters of displacement (about eleven 308 engines). Can you imagine what Mark E could do with one of these Pratt & Whitney's and his mad science? ;)

Jonathan

19. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    This thread is exactly why F-chat is so great. Awesome job you guys!

20. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Geez- In the pictures your dad looks younger than you

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Outstanding!
    You & your dad's post made it all worth while.
    What a great way to end the year.

308's Rule!

22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    outstanding thread. the smile says it all.

:)

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Have I mentioned that you stink?? ;)

I'm not sure how the gray hair gene skipped a generation but I do have more gray than my dad.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Birdman

24. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
  25. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Jonathan,

I missed the pictures last week. Awesome!!!! Glad your Dad enjoyed the present. That really makes it all worthwhile! Glad I could be a part of it.

As for New England being the best place to work on your F-car, us guys in Joisey might have to rumble wid youz 'bout dat. LOL The Jersey branch of the F-Car DIY Gang could also lay claim to that title. But I must admit, your man cave is definitely more awesome than mine. If only I had your ceiling height and your lift. LOL

Have a happy, healthy, prosperous and joyous New Year!!!!

Steve